Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Is a Haynes Manual Better Than Chilton's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Is a Haynes Manual Better Than Chilton's?

I checked out two Chilton Mustang II manuals one was 1974-1976 and the other for 1974-1978 at the local library and I must say they were terrible. I wanted to see a picture of the engine and some vacuum diagrams and a wiring schematic for my 302 boy was I disappointed.

The library did not have any Haynes manuals but I see a couple on eBay but before I buy one I was wondering what you guys think of them. My personal experience hasn't been that great with either one, the joke with these after market books is installation is the reverse of uninstallation, right?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
BigBallin
1st Gear Member

i like the chiltons for my 89
Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

one things for certain, the manuals did get better over the years plus it helps that you own a Fox body and not the red head step child, (no offense to red head step children).
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
BigBallin
1st Gear Member

ha but some of the instructions are a bit hard to decipher
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

So the Haynes manual arrived in the mail today. I tore into it as quickly as I could and began flipping through the pages. I was quickly disappointed. 90% of the book is dedicated to the four cylinder and the six cylinder engines, and the V8 is an afterthought mentioned in suplemental Chapter 13.

Chilton's Pros - detailed explanation of the systems, ie, Positive Crankcase Ventilation System, Fuel Evaporative Control System, Improved Combustion System, Exhaust Gas Recirculation System, Thermactor Air Injection System, and Catalytic Reactor System. Couple paragraphs each.

Chilton's Cons - no detailed wiring diagrams / schematics, no detailed vacuum diagrams, no engine component location diagram ie ported vacuum switches go here and here, water and oil sensors go here. Minimal step by step removal and reinstallation procedures. Conversion tables - what the heck, LOL.

Haynes Pros - Tons of specs ie valve seat run-out, lobe lift, journal diameter, detailed wiring diagrams / schematics, detailed step by step removal and reinstallation procedures.

Haynes Cons - no detailed explanation of the systems, no detailed vacuum diagrams, no engine component location diagram ie ported vacuum switches go here and here, water and oil sensors go here.

Even with exploded carburetor diagrams in both books I still don't know what half the nipples on my Motorcraft 2150 due, and what hoses should plug in to those. Luckily I can google that carb and download some PDFs.

I'm not renting here I am trying to help the next guy who like me will need a manual. And I'm so hell bent on the vacuum diagrams because I am in California, you know where emission controls come from, lol. Now waiting for my Ford Engine Car Shop Manual to come in the mail, and I may buy the Clymer as well, heck I might spend more on books than I did on this darn engine, $100.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Houndstooth
1st Gear Member

This probably falls under "too little, too late" but I have found that both Chiltons and Haynes are worthless. I have multiple vehicles I am/have worked on and neither have helped. Unless instructions like "open hood, remove engine, fix, replace engine" are all you need it is best to get the factory service manuals.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default I agree

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
... I have found that both Chiltons and Haynes are worthless... Unless instructions like "open hood, remove engine, fix, replace engine" are all you need it is best to get the factory service manuals.
I have both Chiltons and Haynes and I completely agree, though the Haynes has the wiring diagrams, otherwise pretty much worthless.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

The factory service manuals from Helm Inc. are on-sale for 50% off for vehicles 1998 and prior.

The vacuum routings in the manuals are typically a generic and there is a underhood sticker showing the specific for the vehicle.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
vonkysmeed

I have found Chilton marginally better than Haynes only because Chilton will typically explain to remove as well as reinstall. Haynes favorite phrase is "installation is reverse of removal"