Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Mustang II Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Boredome zero

Vehicle: 1975 ford mustang ii
Default Mustang ii vibration

Hey everybody I'm new to the forums but have a big problem. I have 1975 mustang that I've been working on for a few years and am trying to work out all the bugs. Recently I put a tremec tr-3550 in the car and with that I got a bad high speed vibration. It starts at around 70-80 mph and gets worse with speed. I know its somthing in the drivetrain because no matter what my rpm is its there. I've tried 3 different drive shafts and none solved the problem. So I thought maybe the diff so I put a different one in and it's still there. I've heard about driveline angle and am not really sure how to check it or what the acceptable difference is. I've also changed the tranny with a standard t-5 and it didn't solve the problem. I am going crazy trying to figure this out so any input would be much appreciated thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Boredome zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Shane R

Vehicle: 1978 Mustang King Cobra

I have same problem. I'm wondering if maybe the wrong harmonic balancer was installed for the given transmission. Mine has a c4. I need to find out which balancer is recommended. This winter I'm changing it over to a T5 manual.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
roystere

Vehicle: 1978 Mustang II Mach 1

What bell housings are you using for the manual? MII or late model? What year engine? Pre-82s use a 28oz balance. 82 and later use a 50oz balance. Also, if you're using a late model bell housing and flywheel on a pre-82 engine, changing the harmonic balancer to the late model balancer won't work either, you will still have the vibration. Early engines were internally balanced at 28oz so you'll still have an imbalance. I know this from experience...

Last edited by roystere; 10-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
roystere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Shane R

Vehicle: 1978 Mustang King Cobra

Using an '86 fox trans, bell and flywheel. The engine is an '88 5.0 HO.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
roystere

Vehicle: 1978 Mustang II Mach 1

Could be pinion angle or something else in the drive shaft. In the tech section of www.mustangii.net there are spec sheets for our cars by year MV something or the other.... (CRS), they may give the pinion angle I just don't remember. It also seems like Summit or Jegs carried angle shims.
roystere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement