Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Is she gonna make it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Jahkrohn

Default Is she gonna make it?

Just aquired this 1974, the previous owner has receipts from a local machine shop with a list of work thats been done to the engine almost immediatly before sitting, its been machined 30 over, and new almost everything else, however the only issue is its been sitting for atleast 15 years, I checked the floor pans the best I could when I first looked at it, they seem to still be solid, im sure a closer inspection will need to be done....i plan on doing all the work by hand and getting her running again, do you think it will be worth it? I need some advice, this is the first classic mustang I have ever thought about working on haha...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Jahkrohn

I should also add, it has a 302 in it, not the original v6!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
roystere

Appears to be a 1975 or 1976 Ghia Coupe. But it does look to be fairly solid, and not a 74 (wrong front end). Hood is too long and the fiberglass headlight/grill piece is too thin where it meets the hood. This one's about 2 inches where they meet and the 74 would be about 4 inches. Good luck on your project. Check out the Mustang II groups on Facebook and www.mustangii,net.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

As a 75 or 76 it could have an original 302 - they did come in those years. Definitely not a 74 though. Just some advise, you need to know exactly what you have in order to find/buy parts.
As for fixing her up, I hope you do. Mustang IIs never seem to get the lovin'.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

That's going to be a lot of fracking work, if you got the time and money I would say go for it. Those cars are starting to pick up value, however the amount you put into it your not going to see that back when or if you sell. But that pretty much goes without saying for any restoration project.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Jahkrohn

So I got some good news on the project, it was rebuilt only 5 years ago(cound receipt from machine shop that had the date on it), however the air intake filter is rusted so that will definitally need to be replaced before It ry to run it, I dont want that crud in the engine, and the engine was put back into it afterwards still not driven though, so since it was a fresh rebuild on the motor only 5 years ago does that improve my chances? and thanks for all your feedback, I dont plan on getting moneyback out of it, I just want a show car, maybe if its structurally sound, a drag car/show car as I live near a rather popular drag strip, I heard that because its a unibody, if the floors are rusted out anywhere, it will be not worth repair, is this true or just somebody trying to discourage me from fixing it up?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
roystere

That is promising on the rebuild. I'd change all the fluids, filters, etc. Consider fresh plugs, as a minimum pull them to check condition. DRAIN the gas that's in the tank. You may have to drop the tank but it will be a good time to inspect it for rust. Good news is new tanks are available. Check with Scott at www.sscenterprises.net for the tank. All is not lost if the floor pans are rusted, you can patch them. If they're totally crap replacements are available. Don't hold me to it but I believe Mustangs Unlimited may sell them. Good luck and keep us posted.