Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Shelby's Mustang

Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

damn that's close!! We may have to get together at some point in the near future. I'll PM you.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I'm one of the other two that browse the Mustang II forum. My first car, in Hawaii 22 years ago, was a hot 76 blue with white stripe Cobra II.

Awesome build. Keep at it and keep posting pics.

James
Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Sooooo... In the immortal words of Dr. McCoy on STAR TREK - 'He's dead Jim'

What's that mean??? Well, the deeper we got into the stripping of the black fastback the more rust I found in the front framerails. This isn't good. In fact it sucks monkey *****.

So, we've procured another fastback (Pics to be posted soon). On the bright side, I sold the red parts car since I don't need it any longer. The black fastback will become a project for me. Its twisted, completely impractical and will turn eyes everywhere it goes once I finish it.

However, that's another thread on another day. This thread will continue, with the new Mustang II which will get new paint, new spoilers and a redone interior. Plus a 5 lug conversion, sequential and 3rd brakelight mods and whatever tune up stuff it needs.

Next update once it gets a little warmer...
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Damn. That's a shame. I always liked those II's.

But on the bright side, your prodigy learned new skills and you spent quality time with her.

You win.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

fastbackford351- yeah too bad we couldn't save the first car, but as a Dad I couldn't go on with it. But the new fastback is really solid, and she'll be on the road this summer with her own Mustang II. She'll still be out in the shop helping. here's a pic of the 'new to us' pony. Hey, she gets T-tops now!

Name:  blueMII_zps54ef527b.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  103.1 KB

Last edited by racer_dave; 02-17-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Can't wait to see the finished project. Love that you are getting to do this with your daughter.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM
rjpkrp

Glad to see she's back on track with a different II. I was wondering if the Red II I saw on CL a few months back was yours. We're still plugging along here too. Maybe end of year we'll be done with my son's. Are you going to put in a locker or posi unit for her with the winter's around here or is she going to park it? I just got done putting in an aftermarket posi-unit in the '76.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

probably a trac-loc will go in it. Lane had the 5 lug conversion for the front for $239. I'm gonna pick it up this weekend when I'm up there getting racecar parts. Its rotors, bearings, calipers, caliper mounts - whole kit. Not a bad price at all. Plus since I buy so much race stuff from them I'm going to try and talk them down a bit more :-)

What good is it to spend enough there that I'm on the 'hand signed Christmas card' list if I can't get a deal now and then, right?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:57 AM
rjpkrp

This is the posi unit I put into Cole's '76. Seems to be working well. It is a rebuilt Yukon unit.

http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford...t_p_16014.html
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

An update. The blue MII is up on the jack stands and work has once again started. Yes, I know, I'm waaaaay behind schedule. Gonna really have to kick a** on this thing to be ready for her birthday...

The good-
  • Checked the electrical systems and it's in pretty good shape. All the lights/turn signals are fine. Had power in the engine bay where it was supposed to, and none in places it wasn't supposed to be.
  • Gas tank is good and clean. No issues.
  • Window regulators are good
  • Rear window defroster is working(Getting power to the glass at least)

The bad-
  • Cologne v6 runs... barely... kinda... ish
  • All the weatherstrip is shot
  • Shifter is broken
  • Turn signal switch in column is screwed up

The plan- rather than thrash to try to get the crappy v6 running I made a quick trip down to Indy over the weekend and scored this...

A running 302. It's a little dirty, but saw it running before we pulled it. about 30,000 on the rebuild, no smoke, 60lbs oil pressure $400 can't beat that. It'll get fresh paint, new intake and carb.

I'll keep the C4 from the v6 car. I need to get the MII specific bellhousing and a flexplate. Maybe I can find someone who wants the 4sp bellhousing and flywheel as a trade. I kept the v8 exhaust manifolds from the black MII we started with, so I'm good there. Should be an easy swap.

I got the 5 lug conversion for the front. Hope to get it put in in the next week or so. I think I'll replace the bushings too since I'm in it this far. I'd like to get some stiffer springs for the front, but not real sure what to get. Maybe a MII person has some info for me? hint hint...

I haven't decided what to do for the rear end. If I keep the 8" and redrill it to 5 lug I need to get a trac-loc for it and I want to swap it to disc rear. That's gonna add up $$ wise, but I can keep the original rear end housing, and the drive shaft doesn't change. Or I swap to the narrowed Explorer rear, that gives me the trac-loc and the discs, but I have to narrow it and possibly get the driveshaft modified.- trying to decide... I have equipment/skills to go either way just don't know which is better going forward. Suggestions??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby's Mustang