Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Shelby's Mustang

Old 11-08-2015, 06:25 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Rob, I like that seat as well. If I use these I don't think I'll need to get the rear seat redone since its already black. The pleats are a bit wider, but I can live with that.

I may stop by and check them out this week. Let me know a good day. Can either do a lunch time visit or after work.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

so, some more pics and an update-

Got the manifolds sandblasted and repainted

before...
Name:  20151108_145450_zpsncfdyrgd.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  905.7 KB

after...
Name:  20151109_191053_zpsuutg7ggm.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  612.8 KB

The Granada rear end is cleaned up and apart, ready for reassembly and addition of brake caliper brackets

freshly powerwashed...
Name:  20151108_135648_zpshhufwpnz.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  614.4 KB

Sandblasted the carrier & cleaned up the bearing caps etc...Name:  20151109_191000_zpszvlnd9ax.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  331.6 KB

Began to take the old 4 lug rear out. Tried to use solvent and an impact but no luck on the u bolts, rusted solid so I get the torches out and what does Shelby say? - 'Please tell me I get to learn how to use the torches.' Thats my girl

So, Shelby getting ready for her maiden 'torching'
Name:  20151114_163302_zpss0fdrobo.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  382.1 KB

And of course nothing goes as planned. I guess new springs are required...
Name:  20151114_163303_zpsuc6ob4gw.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  176.4 KB

so, new springs and shackles ordered from Mustangs Unlimited... And finally get another weekend in the shop in a few days. So hopefully we can get the rear diff/gears assembled, caliper brackets welded up, new springs/shackles installed and put under the car soon.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:24 AM
rjpkrp

Strong work! BTW, let me know when you want to come by and look at those seats. I've got them at the shop.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:01 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Update?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:22 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Update... Sure... We have been able to get some work done. Fall and winter were taken up with Winter Guard, and Robotics for Shelby. And on my side I was working 14-16hr days from mid December until last week.

The new springs and shackles arrived from Mustangs Unlimited. The trac loc has been set up. I took lots of pictures and may post this as a how to. Its all but identical to setting up a 9" rear so I think folks might like it. I'll post it here and on the MII site. The rest of the Granada rear is cleaned up and I'm in the process of getting the new brake brackets for the rear calipers welded up.

We got the engine flushed and got the new cam in it. Hopefully get the inake/carb/valve covers on it and get it finished up to go in the car.

so... a little progress. I'll post pics when I get a break and download from the phone
Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM
rjpkrp

How is the project coming along?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

ok- not much big stuff going on, worked on some smaller parts and stockpiled more parts- we were doing horse shows, racing, county fair, state fair etc... Shelby really kicked *** this year- ribboned in 16 of 18 classes at fair, placed in all classes at state 4H show and Reserve Champion in one class and then last week for Edwardsburg HS Equestrian team she got 3 firsts, 3 seconds & 4th in 7 classes.

We're back at it this week. Hows your project coming?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 AM
rjpkrp

That's awesome for Shelby! I don't know much about horses, but it sounds like she was rocking it this year!

We are coming along. It made it onto the road a couple of weeks ago and Cole took it to his first Cruise-In. Now just making a punch-list of all of the things that need to be corrected over the winter. It hasn't been the smoothest build, but Cole is happy so far. (The punch-list is growing, but they always do with builds like these.)

Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

That is really cool. I know we're behind on Shelby's car- but we're so busy. Would love to have hers running and driving this fall still. It would be easier if my shop was insulated/heated (hopefully it finally gets done in November) so I can work year round. Once it gets cold work comes to a screeching halt.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:00 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!!
When we last left our Mustang II restoring super heroes they were just beginning on the v6 MII.....

7 years later....

I'm back! So- for the update...

Shelby- Through 2016 and 17 Shelby continued to kick *** at various horse shows around northern Indiana and southwest Michigan. Graduated High School and is now on her own living about an hour away from home. She's doing great. Full time work, even through the pandemic and she does all kinds of graphics for streamers, you tube channels and various gaming communities. She's so busy.

Dave- well 2016 brought a change to the workplace and almost had to move to New Jersey. Decided to stay here and ride it out. Working until the company moved. Racing in 16, 17 went great lots of fun, no major wrecks. Really was a fun couple years. Worked on the house basement during the winters. It now has a hobby room, bathroom, pool table room, movie theater and my sim racing room(Still in progress). Both of my sons finished High School and the older one finishes his degree this December. Traded the old race car out. Bought a new one for 2018... 2nd night out, stuck a throttle and ate the wall at 125. ouch... that was expensive... racecar and street car budget done for the year... fall 2018 blew out my knee... minor surgery to repair... and the company moved everything to New Jersey at beginning of 2019. Unemployed... took almost a year off to work on the house... Back to work at the new job, got the racecar ready again... knee acting up again. Managed to not get COVID, but did trash my knee the 2nd time. So 2020 was knee replacement, rehab and insulating the interior of the shop(FINALLY) adding heat and A/C as well. 2020- the company that wanted me to move to New Jersey went bankrupt... Glad we didn't take that move...back racing in 2021-2022... 2022- bought a 2 post lift for the shop. Best $$$ I've spent in a long time.

so 2023... spun the bearings in the race motor 2 weeks ago, so the season is done early. Loaded all the racing stuff off to the side/into the race trailer and moved our lonely, (but never forgotten MII) over to the lift. Gutting continues tomorrow...

Whats in Store you ask...
5 lug conversion- already have parts- need to install
disk brake conversion- already have parts- need to install
red tail light conversion/sequential- have most parts, need sequencers
engine- 347 stroker- need parts...
Transmission C4 with shift kit, higher stall converter.- have it, needs painted and installed
exhaust- need headers. (If anyone has Blackjack or hookers I will buy them!!!)
fuel delivery- EFI- need to buy the system, will upgrade the gas tank at that time too.(Want to do this so I have some experience when I get to the 67 fastback)
interior- swapping from tan to black, have 90% of the parts. (anyone want tan parts we can male a deal)
Air Condtoning- yes it has T-Tops, but when its 95 in the summer, I want A/C- will buy an aftermarket kit. Way easier than trying to cob together 40yr old parts...
body- king cobra air dam/spats, mid tuck bumpers. get rid of the targa band. Will need an aftermarket hood to clear the engine., spoilers I have. window louvers I have
Wiring- will obviously need to rewire. not splicing into 40yr old dry rotted electrical- fire- no thank you.
Paint kind of a rust orange metallic, black stripes.
Wheels- most likely 15" will depend on clearance after I get the suspension mocked up. I've seen some IIs with 17s that I really liked. might go that way, not sure.

Soooo.... that';s the update. I'll start posting as I get the work going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby's Mustang