Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

i need help with my 74 m2 please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 PM
m2luver

Default i need help with my 74 m2 please

Hello all sorry for dumb question. I recently bought a 74 mustang 2 ghia thats in pretty good shape. it has a v6 2.8l cologne engine but it is locked up something awfull, I have called around to try and find a running used one with no luck so what im asking is there anyone who knows where i might find one or that has advice on rebuilding it thank you.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

There is a great mII forum at mustangii.net, but their server has been down for a few days. not sure of the issue. When it comes back up it's a great resource.

In the mean time I'd search craigslist for 74-78 mustangs and see what pops up. Not sure if anyone has a rebuild kit for it. Also Alan Pyatt runs a MII facebook group and Tom Porter runs a mII parts for sale facebook group. Make sure you post some pics of your car in your timeline because you have to ask to be added to their groups and if they don't see mII related content on your news feed they won't add you. They do it to keep the spammers out.

Welcome to the cult, errrr I mean MII fans group... Good luck, post pics :-)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 AM
m2luver

ok thank you so much sorry for late reply. I will post some pics as soon as i figure out how. sorry i am technologically impared when it comes to pc's lol. It is a yellow ghia had a white vinyl top over metal il need to get a new oneand has close to 60k on odometer
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 AM
m2luver

Oh and i have been toying with the notion of putting a 302 h.o. in it, but from what i gather it is difficult to do to a 74. I know alot of people dont like mustang 2s but ive always wanted one especially a king cobra 2. if i cant find a 2.8l cologne engine i will either attempt v8 conversion but would hate to its all original. or attempt to rebuild mine after having the block miked sorry for spelling, at a machine shop make sure its worth rebuilding. and thank you for warm greeting.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I meant post pics to your facebook profile so they see them and will add you to the FB groups. To add pics on this site you need to have more than 50 posts I think. The nose on the 74 is shorter than the 75 up, that's why its harder to get the V8 in there. I'm about to pull a v-6 cologne out of my mII to go to a v8. It runs if I pour gas down the carb, but not getting gas from the tank. We're too far away to work a deal I think, unless you're coming up to MI any time soon?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
m2luver

Man i wish you lived closer, i dont plan to be going anywhere near mi, in the near future sadly. I thank you for your help though so far your the only person who has tried to help. I dont understand why these little engines are so hard to find when they were used in so many different applications m2,ranger,capri, etc... What i would really love to do but wouldnt mangle an old beauty would be to put a ford 460 or 429 in it with a c6.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Judas

Having investigated.... dropping a 460/429 let alone even a 400/390 in the car is nearly impossible with total refrabrication of the engine compartment, firewall, and dash/interior of the floor in order to provide enough room, it'd also require a different hot and changing out the oil pans in order to "fit" the area on the car to clear certain structural parts, or changing the parts dramatically.

I've a Super Cobrajet 429 with a C6 sitting here in pretty much mint condition, sadly there is simply to much work required. Though if i recall right there have been at least 1 or 2 people that took it upon themselves to make the necessary modifications.

Even dropping a 351 W or Modified which "some" people have done takes a bit of cutting and modifying. The only engine that will shoehorn in without much of any work far as i can tell is the 351 C.

Aside from that, some of the grand marquis from 1981 to 1986 i believe.... with the Overdrive auto (if you want to stick with automatic tranny), bolt in almost entirely straight away fine, the transmission lines almost perfectly line up, so if getting better mileage is of interest, then that's your best bet short of getting electronic/computer stuff involved with newer transmissions. Actually had the right grand marquis, sadly the circumstances to use both the engine and trans out of it didn't pan out.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:19 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

there just isn't a lot of activity on this board for the mII. http://www.mustangiitech.org has some decent info and a bit more traffic.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 PM
m2luver

Thank you racer_dave, I know for whatever reson there are alot of people who dont like the mustang 2 for whatever reason. Thank you for your advice, I wasnt saying anything bad about forum if thats how it came out i am sorry not my intentions
Old 05-29-2015, 03:24 PM
m2luver

Hello Judas and thank you for reply i know it would be a whole lot of work and that doesnt bother me i would just hate to have to mutilate on old beauty to make it fit.i think i will keep it a v6 so it stays original if i can find one that is. But power wise a 347 stroker with some other mods in the car would be awsome also thanks for the advice on the grand marquis from 1981 to 1986 "i didnt know that" lol like the old commercial. but really thank you i didnt know.