Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

i need help with my 74 m2 please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I didn't take it as anything bad towards the other forums at all, just trying to get you some other resources. As for why people don't like the MII. They are from the 70's and there wasn't much about the 70's car wise to be happy about. But when other Mustang fans get all high and mighty remind them of this. The 5 liter mustangs started in 75, not later like the fox body crowd thinks. The MII front suspension geometry is better. They sold more of any one year of MII than they did either 65 or 66 mustangs. And it was the lightest Mustang so even though it had lower power, the power to weight ratio was pretty damn good.

BTW, the MII is starting to get some love at car shows now just because you don't see them all the time. So wear the MII badge proudly. and if that doesn't work beat their *** with a stick... OK, not really, but you know what I mean...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:57 PM
Judas

I can't remember what the last value i was told was for the number of MII's that are in any presentable useable shape.. but it's very low and almost entirely left as a memory...

Out of all the mustangs at car shows i've gone to and have had other people go to.... the 74-78's are just nowhere to be seen ever. When i drive the 78 Cobra II anywhere.. and i mean anywhere.. it turns heads quickly, in fact vehicle collisions nearly occur due to drawing peoples attention completely away from what they should be doing.

Parking the car for any length of time usually draws a small crowd depending on the time of day and how populated the area is with a few phones whipping out. But overall, it's been very positive with plenty of older people well into thier 40 or 50's or older that usually talk of the mustang generation as one of the cheapest, most fun rides ford every made available to the masses.

However there are plenty of Ford guru's, experts, and mustang fans that insist on making a point of making it painfully obvious how much they despise the mustang II and everything about it regardless of how idiotically wrong they are about it "not providing anything ground breaking or new or improved"... worse yet is how they will go one to say how the foxbody era was the golden age...... thier bias and idiocy is made abundantly clear in many areas... but there are just as many that don't like the foxbody any more than they like the mustang 2's... whatever their justifications are.

Either way, out of all the mustangs, dealerships and ford themselves consider the 74-78's their bastard child and when you walk into a shop and tell them you have a mustang... the employee's get all giddy ready to deal with you... but as soon as they find out it's a mustang II, their part list drops to zero, the models can't be found or any alternative solution are simply non-existent. So ford themselves are very much to blame for the total lack of respect the car deserves on it's own.

If i can get the necessary work on the 78 i've got atm sorted, and touch up a few places where the paint has chipped due to the last number of years in which it's daily driving has done the damage.... I can't wait to get it officially into a car show, and anyone that has one even in fair presentable shape shouldn't hesitate either. Just the fact that there will be a number of people that won't recognize it, or will depending on what memories they have of it, not to mention the irate mustang/ford fanatics that might raise a little hell will draw enough attention all by itself.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM
m2luver

Judas, racer_dave thank you both for help and insight on the mii i tore into the locked up motor today didnt get all the way disassembled but i can pretty much tell the people i got it from over heated the poor girls engine horribly. I was looking at the date of mfg it is a 8/74 would that mean it would have the 75 front end? Which in turn would make a v8 swap easier. I am on the ropes between rebuilding the 2.8 with a offy intake and a few other performance modes or just throwing a beefed up 5.0 in there.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 PM
m2luver

I totally agree that they get a bad rap but see no justification in it whatsoever. I love just about any mustang except for the really new ones just my opinion but they don't look sleek and sexy anymore mainly look like a brick. But whatever floats your boat I say. once ive replied enough to post pics i wll show you guys the car if you want.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:48 AM
Judas

Personally considering the overheated engine..... If you can determine for certain that the the car can accept/accomidate a V8 5.0, I'd go for it, there are a LOT of v8 5.0 302's from a range of years that will mostly slip in there no problem aside from potentially having to swap out of a single part to make the transmission and engine mate up without issue.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 AM
m2luver

Ok thanks alot guys. Sorry for such a late reply, I am thinking v8 is the way i will go. Judas if you dont mind would you put up pics of your m2 and anybody else for that matter i love to see old mustangs in good shape keeping people happy.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Judas

Perhaps after i give it a good cleaning.... i'm still in the process of trying to find rims that'll fit it properly without causing the tires to rub the inside wheel well. Sadly the front bumper racing stripe was partially torn off due to stone/gravel chipping away at it and eventually breaking loose from the paint (imo it wasn't applied quite right). All the body work is almost 20 years old... but overall looks good.

I'll be sure to take some more modern pictures later. But i don't think i can post pictures on here due to a post requirement. You can see the car as my avatar however.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 PM
m2luver

Okay sounds like a plan, from what i can see it looks pretty good. My 74 has the original 13's on it but i think some cobra r wheels or some craigars would look neat. I wish mine was a cobra but the ghia's are pretty cool too. I am just glade to own an old piece of history.