Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Pontiac GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
CharcoalStang
2nd Gear Member

Default Pontiac GTO

I would honestly like to know what you car enthusiasts know about the Pontiac GTO (2004-2005) weather or not its a great car and whatever else you might be able to help me with, mainly because im looking for an upgrade from my 02 v6 5 speed mustang to something with a lil more power, I was primarily thinking to go with a later model GT mustang or the pontiac GTO (stick of corse )
Old 03-09-2006, 08:31 PM
BlackMagic1

Default RE: Pontiac GTO

Well, since GM is discontinuing that car, I wouldn't recommend it.Nice idea, but the car looked just like a Grand Prix and never sold well. Plus they are made in Australia,and shipped back here.One of Americas original muscle cars and they can't make a new one here? How screwy is that? Plus your talking some pretty good amount ofcash, if all you want is more power.Pick up a new Mustang or go for a used Cobra,you'll still be thousands ahead.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Actually it is NOT being discontinued:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...8_pontiac_gto/

Old 03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I've heard lots of bad things, even from vette, camaro and trans am owners. It's heavier and doesn't handle as well. Plus, like blackmagic1 said, it looks like a Grand Prix after a few cheeseburgers.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:32 PM
CharcoalStang
2nd Gear Member

so basically it aitn worth the cheese if im hearing you peeps correctly yes???
Old 03-10-2006, 08:32 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Instead of listening to a bunch of fanboys, why don't you test drive both cars?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:39 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Instead of listening to a bunch of fanboys, why don't you test drive both cars?
I agree. Try it out for yourself. At least I did before deciding I didn't like it. I decided I didn't like the heavy feel of the car...........plus I couldn't afford it.[:'(] The looks of the car don't turn me off so much, it just doesn't stand out as well from all angles as much as I'd like a 400hp ride to.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
CharcoalStang
2nd Gear Member

when you say heavy feel... what do you mean exactly, i mean 350 hp should have me feelin like im in a plastic jet, you guys are correct about the not "standing out" thang but i think there are jus too many mustangs on the road around where i live, in my own neighborhood there are about 5 and 2 of em look xactly like mine. thanx for the feedback so far guys.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:30 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CharcoalStang

when you say heavy feel... what do you mean exactly, i mean 350 hp should have me feelin like im in a plastic jet, you guys are correct about the not "standing out" thang but i think there are jus too many mustangs on the road around where i live, in my own neighborhood there are about 5 and 2 of em look xactly like mine. thanx for the feedback so far guys.
Well, it's just like it sounds..........the car is heavy. Like, 3800 lbs heavy (as opposed to 3200-3400 lb mustangs). It's just not as nimble a car as I thought it would be........more sluggish in the steering feel than my 05 GT. The power is indeed fantastic, I just wasn't a fan of the handling.....or the price.

As a matter of fact, after driving the GTO...I got the impression that Pontiac would have been better off putting some more engineering into this car and setting it up to compete with higher priced lux performance coupes........like BMW's and Mercedes'. Grant it, it would have probably taken the car price up a bit, but it could have been to that segment what the Corvette has been to the sports car segment: an affordable entry capable of outdoing cars much more expensive than itself. I mean, that's just my take on it. I think Pontiac tried to stradle the line a little too much. The car is obviously much more refined than the typical pony car....its just a shame they didn't just go for broke and really make it a world class performance coupe, instead of trying to keep the cost down for hopes of a higher sales volume.[&:]
Old 03-11-2006, 05:16 PM
CharcoalStang
2nd Gear Member

thax a lot dawg u gave me a lot to think about

Quick Reply: Pontiac GTO