Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

All Wheel Drive Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 PM
cldnails
1st Gear Member

Default All Wheel Drive Mustang?

I went to my local Ford dealer last night looking at their new orange Mach 1 when a seemingly knowledge member of their staff started talking Mustang's with me. He informed me of 2 things that I find highly improbable:

-The 2005 Body Style Mustang will only be produced for 2 years.(He said this is for sure!)

-The in 2007 the Mustang to follow this radical body style will be an All Wheel Drive.

I search a lot of forums and I also try to find out anything I can, but I have never heard of an All Wheel Drive Mustang. The dealer swears by it though.

Anyone that has insight please let me know.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:59 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: All Wheel Drive Mustang?

i heard about the AWD in motor trend a while ago...it was just an idea, because ford needed someone to compete with since the camaros were gone, so they were thinking about going after subaru's....all im gonna say is an AWD V8 would own everything
Old 04-10-2004, 10:38 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

OMG YES! That would be amazing. You see how fast those four cylinder AWD's hook up, that would be ridiculous to have on a stang. Casper98 and I talked about that a coulpe years ago, like what it would take to build one but we def decided it would be way too much.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:08 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

I would be willing to bet that if Ford did make an AWD Mustang, it would not be a V-8. That's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
I would rather Ford come out with a killer AWD Focus to compete with the Subaru's, rather than change the Mustang to an AWD car. Leave the Mustang alone, and let it keep the V-8 rear drive only set-up. It's sold well for years, why mess with a good thing?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Cuase if it was AWD then I could maybe justify buying a new one as a winter car
Old 04-12-2004, 12:14 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Cuase if it was AWD then I could maybe justify buying a new one as a winter car
You know, Ford already makes 4WD with V-8's. They're called F-150's, 250's and 350's.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I agree. Mustang's are one of the few rear wheel drive sports cars left. The focus is already used as a Rally car, I think it is all wheel drive. They should use the Focus not the Mustang.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

All wheel drive V8 & 300+ lb torque = a line of people at the dealer waiting for new transmissions.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:16 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Actually yea, an AWD focus would be nice. I'd buy that as a second car if they made one. I'd get a nice f-150 if I could afford it but I can't really.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:17 PM
cldnails
1st Gear Member

I feel that they should leave the Mustang alone, because if they follow the trend to make it "All Wheel Drive", just to compete with Subaru, then it is only a matter of time before they make it Front Wheel Drive.

The current set up of a Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive American Sports car should live on. However, I do agree with the benefits of an All Wheel Drive car, it shouldn't be on a Mustang. Go buy a Jap Trap.

Quick Reply: All Wheel Drive Mustang?