Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New retro stuff getting old...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

Default New retro stuff getting old...?

I gotta say that the "new old" styling is nice and brings back warm nostalgic feelings. Like how ya feel when you see the "new old" T-bird, the "new old" Mustang... the soon to be "new old" Shelby Cobra... "new old" GT and so forth.

But where the heck is the new stuff for American sports cars? The innovation of something different? Completely surprising designs? New American muscle!?!?!

That's why foreign sports cars are selling so much better than the American ones. Folks actually want something different. Something that says faster, better, safer, more reliable, and futuristic.

Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:52 AM
lbst8u
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New retro stuff getting old...?

i must say i agree with you. the "new old" stuff is kinda nice but it's starting to be played out. i just hope they don't turn all cars into hybrids. where did you get the cover in the back? and can you still use the back seat? What is it called? please let me know. also with your mods, do you us 91 or 87 octane? thanks ahead of time.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:18 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I'd have to agree as well. Although I like all those cars, it be nice to see some new stuff like what Pontiac did with the GTO. I'm probably going to own a 05 style mustang but it just seems like we've been there and done that.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

where did you get the cover in the back? and can you still use the back seat? What is it called? please let me know. also with your mods, do you us 91 or 87 octane? thanks ahead of time.
lbst8u,
It's called a speedster tonneau cover and you can get them from www.abcexclusive.com. You can't use the back seat when it's on of course but they pop off easy. Just make sure you have plenty of good weather when you drive out with one. With these mod.s I can only use 93 Octane or there a chance of detonation in the engine.

50fiend,
Hey the GTO looks new but that style has been done already in the Gran Prix... and the whole car(with it's LS-1) has been marketed in Austrailia as the Manaro. They hated them there because of how unreliable they were. Even the test model in Car & Driver had a ton of stuff wrong with it... Ya can't put a 310 HP engine in a car that only was designed for 180 and not watch it fall apart... Just an FYI brain fart.[&:][sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I knew the GTO was a Grand Prix but I didn't know they already marketed it in another country. What's up with all the cool cars going other places than the US? I was aware of this when I was into imports but now that I am into Mustangs I'm seeing that even US companies do the same thing. What's the deal? Aren't we the car country? I know about all the emission controls, blah, blah, blah, but dang, why don't we get cars with the powerful motors too. For instance the Focus RS, sold only in Europe. Imagine how that would hook up. WHY, WHY, WHY?[:@]
Old 04-23-2004, 05:58 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

I have no comments on other makes and models

But Im totally with Ford on the new styling!!!! If you think about it the "Mustang" has to stay looking like a mustang!!! It would defeat the whole purpose of ever inventing the style if it starts to look like another "new age design"
I mean cars that are being producted now days look nothig like they used too!!!!
And Ford is keeping the beauty that started the whole thing!!!! Yeah its retro styled but how many different body styles can you make for one model..... I mean ideas are limited!!!!! So bringing back the flare that started in the 60's is awesome!!! It reminds most us why we fell in love with them in the first place.....

The new body style is classic!!!! Its just plain rad!!! Every body style made all has the same characteristics... If you start changing them around too much there wont be.... Ford is smart.....

My opinions
Mello
Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

But Im totally with Ford on the new styling!!!! If you think about it the "Mustang" has to stay looking like a mustang!!! It would defeat the whole purpose of ever inventing the style if it starts to look like another "new age design"
I mean cars that are being producted now days look nothig like they used too!!!!
And Ford is keeping the beauty that started the whole thing!!!! Yeah its retro styled but how many different body styles can you make for one model..... I mean ideas are limited!!!!! So bringing back the flare that started in the 60's is awesome!!! It reminds most us why we fell in love with them in the first place.....

The new body style is classic!!!! Its just plain rad!!! Every body style made all has the same characteristics... If you start changing them around too much there wont be.... Ford is smart.....

My opinions
Mello
Old 04-23-2004, 06:10 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

The one thing I like about the retro style is that Ford isn't going to make a pansy car out of the mustang like the Chevy Impala. Which was originally a cool car, now it’s a mediocre family car. How about what they did to the Nova[:'(]. Then they totally got rid of their affordable sports car. At least the Mustang’s performance has been improved and I really like the looks, I am just getting tired of the remakes. Like I said I hope to own one. I guess that’s kind of hypocritical isn’t it?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:13 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Thats what every vehicle is.... Its a remake of the year before
Old 04-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

My opinions
Mello
I share your feelings as well about our current makes and models, But I just think we have room in America for something altogether new. As far as Ford goes I hope they will always keep the Mustangs, T-birds and Cobras. It's time though for new muscle!! I mean the Focus is great for what it does... but lets get some new V8 contenders out there!

Quick Reply: New retro stuff getting old...?