Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford running out of Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:47 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Default Ford running out of Mustangs

With a new 2005 model coming out in the fall, supplies of the current design are running dry.
April 22, 2004: 1:49 PM EDT
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - With a new, redesigned Mustang due to start production in the fall, supplies of the current version are expected to dry up this summer as demand outstrips expectations, a Ford Motor Co. spokesman said Thursday.

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
The spokesman, Wes Sherwood, said the automaker expects supplies of the popular pony car to run out before it can launch the new, redesigned 2005 version. Mustang sales are up 16 percent so far this year, surpassing Ford's expectations.

Ford's legendary Rouge plant in Dearborn, Mich. has been cranking out Mustangs on overtime to keep inventory filled, according to industry publication Automotive News.

Mustang production at Dearborn will end May 10, the Ford (F: up $0.93 to $15.87, Research, Estimates) spokesman said. The new Mustang will be produced in the fall -- Ford won't give a more specific date -- in a Flat Rock, Mich., plant operated in a joint venture with Mazda.

Thanks to the overtime production effort, Mustang supplies had been high through the winter months, when Mustang sales usually slack off. This past January, sales were 47 percent higher than last January.

Sales for the rear-wheel drive Mustang are usually strongest in spring and summer, and now inventories are dropping fast, Sherwood said. Automotive News reported that, on April 1, Ford had a 96-day supply of Mustangs on hand, down from a 127-day supply one month before.

The car's unique place in automotive history is probably driving some of the current demand, according to the spokesman. Not only is this the last Mustang to be produced at the Rouge plant, but all Mustangs this year sport special 40th Anniversary badging.

"For the Mustang enthusiasts out there, this is going to be a really collectible car," said Sherwood.

The current $3,000 rebate on 2004 Mustangs is expected to continue.

"We feel that the incentive is at the right place right now to keep sales brisk," said Ford spokesman Miles Johnson.

Those who want a convertible Mustang will have to act fast or they could be in for a long wait. After the current stock of convertibles run out, buyers will have to wait until spring 2005 before a convertible version of the new design becomes available.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:51 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ford running out of Mustangs

I heard that as well, Mel.

I am looking into the possibility of getting a new Mach 1 and they aren't as plentiful as they were a few months back
Old 05-15-2004, 03:29 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

does this mean no more stangs?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:42 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Well, as the article said, Mustang sales are up something like 18% this year and since Frod recently closed the Dearborn plant and they only have a 90 day supply, that means that the Stang won't be able to be bought after August.

I think they planned it right, running out of them in this time frame. Problem will be is that they WON'T have enough '05's to go around.

Ahhh, yes...supply and demand!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:43 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Well if there aren't enough 05's that just means there's gonna be that much higher of a demand for them, could go up or down for Ford.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Mach 1 production has ended already.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Mach 1 production has ended already.
Yeah it has Dan...remember a while back when I told you they were harder to come by, just in those few weeks...I don't see any sitting on any lots anymore!

GT's and Cobras are plentiful.

Glad I got mine already..will you please hurry and get yours?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:18 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Good News--------Was at a Ford Dealer here the other day and they no shortage of anything except Mach1 at any of the dealerships here in the Tucson,AZ area, rebates on some them--------------
NO SHORTAGES
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 PM
UT04GT
3rd Gear Member

here in knoxville, TN I went to 3 dealerships over the past 2 weeks

one had a USED 03 mach 1
two had one NEW GT
two had one NEW cobra convertable
two had one NEW cobra coupe
one had one NEW mystic cobra

all of them said they are running out of mustang/mach 1/cobra's and two of them told me to expect long delays on the 05's hitting the lots and they are pretty upset because they will be without any mustangs or cobras for a few months more than likely. =o
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Mystic_Eats_Rice
1st Gear Member

I saw a beautiful new Black Mach 1 sitting outside Phil Long on Wadsworth in Denver yesterday, so if anyone is looking for one there ya go. They have about 50 V6's sitting out there, sold both the Mystichromes though and the Roush Stage 2, but still have some GT's and a few 03-04 cobras. Oh, and they were auctioning off the GT40 they got, some lady put in a $500,000 bid for her husbands birthday present, must be nice .

Quick Reply: Ford running out of Mustangs