Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Another Shelby coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

Default Another Shelby coming

Shelby Mustang coming this year

Detroit News staff

Ford Motor Co. is joining forces again with racing legend Carroll Shelby to produce a new high-performance Ford Mustang that will hit dealerships later this year.

Ford announced the new vehicle to dealers at meetings in Las Vegas this week. The automaker plans to formally announce the new Shelby Mustang next week in its online documentary that can be viewed on www.myboldmoves.com.

"We are working on the next new Shelby," Ford spokesman Jim Cain said. "We want to announce it in our Bold Moves documentary so we are keeping our cards close to the vest for now."

With few details, it's expected that the Shelby Mustang will be very similar to the limited edition Ford Shelby GT-H, a 335-horsepower Mustang that's available only as a rental at select Hertz locations.

Pricing has not been released, but the new Shelby is expected to be affordable.

Mustang and Carroll Shelby fans have clamored on Web sites for Ford to begin selling the Shelby GT-H in dealerships.

"It would be very interesting," said Howard Pardee, of Waterford, Conn., national director of the Shelby American Automobile Club. "The GT-H already has a following. Shelby is the only icon remaining."

Ford also recently collaborated with the racing legend on the Shelby GT-500, an ultra high-performance Mustang that sells for about $40,000 and the Ford GT super car, which goes for about $140,000.

Shelby, 83, may be the racing world's greatest living legend.

He became only the second American to win at Le Mans when he co-drove an Aston Martin to victory in 1959.

Shelby went on to lead the Ford team that designed the GT40s and won a historic 1-2-3 victory at LeMans in 1966.

He then made his mark as a vehicle tuning whiz, developing his own sports car.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Another Shelby coming

ORIGINAL: Justabear

Pricing has not been released, but the new Shelby is expected to be affordable.

That's what was said about the GT500, but with the demand and the craze, it won't be affordable.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

It would be nice to go to the Ford Factory and pay MSRP right then and there for a GT350 or whatever special they are cooking up. Eliminate the dealerships... or should I say dealer****s... Because somehow I feel that Dealers asking insane prices for their GT500 product hurts the Ford name aswell... Looks like ford can't even control their own dealerships now...
Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

I was both excited and disappointed at the same time. You would think Ford could squeeze a few more ponies out of the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

So this is supposed to be like a variation of the GT-H that will be sold to the public? Could be nice.....if one of two things are done:
1. The performance is enhanced beyond just CAI-exhaust-retune territory.

or

2. The car has enough unique styling to merit its "pricier than a GT" MSRP.

If any of this talk is actually true......and this isn't the media misinterpreting some very old news(which has happened before)..........then I guess we'll be seeing the announcement of the GT350 very soon
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
95Tbird
1st Gear Member

I was both excited and disappointed at the same time. You would think Ford could squeeze a few more ponies out of the car.
They may be ....Just because they say 335HP dont mean that is all it makes .. I have a friend that works as a engineer at Ford he says they are doint 'great' things with porting on the heads ...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

So with all the reports of the "next Boss" and the "next Shelby", I have to wonder........are rumors about the next specialty stang being confused? Seems kinda unlikely that Ford will be gracious enough to bless us with two new mustangs. If this new Shelby is confirmed for build, I wonder if it means there will be no Boss...[&:]
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

Call me optimistic but I think we are going to see both. The Shelby is already developed, sell the public the GT-H without the Hertz name. The Boss obviously is a little more complex issue with more development. Ford has been losing big bucks and both of these cars will bring traffic into the showroom. An affordable Shelby would certainly generate traffic! That is if Ford can produce enough to satisfy demand, the GT-500 situation is certainly annoying, none to be had without paying 15 - 20 over sticker. I am afraid the Boss will be the same. Here is a different article from EDMUNDS Website:

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford Motor Co. told its dealers this week that another new Shelby Mustang will ride into showrooms later this year.

The company will provide details next week on its Bold Moves Web site, according to a report in the Detroit News.

The newest high-performance Mustang will be the third this year to wear the Shelby label, after the Shelby GT-H, which is available only as a rental unit from Hertz, and the recently launched Shelby GT500.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

Ford shows new Mustang
Work with Shelby yields 3rd model
ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 9, 2006

Ford Motor Co. is unveiling a limited-edition, souped-up Mustang born of the automaker's renewed partnership with racing legend Carroll Shelby.

Ford, which has been struggling to sell conventional cars and trucks, could benefit from the luster of the 2007 Ford Shelby GT rubbing off on the rest of its lineup.

The carmaker showed the Shelby GT to dealers in Las Vegas last week and will show it to the public Sunday in an online documentary at www.fordboldmoves.com.

About 4,000 to 10,000 of the 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower coupes will be built. Production is to begin later this year.

The Shelby GT will be the third modern Shelby Mustang the company has made in collaboration with the race-car driver turned designer who first refashioned Mustangs in the 1960s. The partnership produced the more powerful Shelby GT500 and the Shelby GT-H, a model that's available only for rent from Hertz Corp.

The cars will begin as standard Mustang GTs at Ford's Flat Rock assembly plant. Then they'll be shipped to the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas for modification.

While the Shelby GT won't have a big direct impact on Ford's sales the car might help boost the Dearborn-based automaker's prestige. Last month, for the first time, Toyota Motor Corp. surpassed Ford in U.S. vehicle sales.

Copyright © 2006 Detroit Free Press Inc.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Ford shows new Mustang
Work with Shelby yields 3rd model
ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 9, 2006

Ford Motor Co. is unveiling a limited-edition, souped-up Mustang born of the automaker's renewed partnership with racing legend Carroll Shelby.

Ford, which has been struggling to sell conventional cars and trucks, could benefit from the luster of the 2007 Ford Shelby GT rubbing off on the rest of its lineup.

The carmaker showed the Shelby GT to dealers in Las Vegas last week and will show it to the public Sunday in an online documentary at www.fordboldmoves.com.

About 4,000 to 10,000 of the 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower coupes will be built. Production is to begin later this year.

The Shelby GT will be the third modern Shelby Mustang the company has made in collaboration with the race-car driver turned designer who first refashioned Mustangs in the 1960s. The partnership produced the more powerful Shelby GT500 and the Shelby GT-H, a model that's available only for rent from Hertz Corp.

The cars will begin as standard Mustang GTs at Ford's Flat Rock assembly plant. Then they'll be shipped to the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas for modification.

While the Shelby GT won't have a big direct impact on Ford's sales the car might help boost the Dearborn-based automaker's prestige. Last month, for the first time, Toyota Motor Corp. surpassed Ford in U.S. vehicle sales.

Copyright © 2006 Detroit Free Press Inc.

I just responded to this announcement in the other thread.............and my response wasn't pleasant.

Quick Reply: Another Shelby coming