Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford's Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
B
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford's Corvette?

OK

So Mustang V. Camero
Focus V. Cobalt
_______ V. Corvette

and uhh.. forgett the GT... (ford GT)

its like 160 k

I think ford should make something to comptete with the Corvette,, i mean i just hate seeung that car and driver where a base model corvette beats out a GT 500.. i mean.. c'mon...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford's Corvette?

Well I can remember back in the late 90's I believe it was........I was hearing alot of talk that Ford was gonna take the Thunderbird (which finished production back in what? 96? 97?) and make it into a V8 powered two seater. A true sports car to compete with the corvette. Of course, we all know that never happened. But it sounded like a damn good idea at the time.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:14 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

the last idea that would have been compitition was the MACH III
Old 08-11-2006, 05:34 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

It's a void all right... They could fill it. But heritage always wins from new additions in the end.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Looks like for now the GT 500 is the best Ford has to compete against the vette
Old 08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
EADracing93
1st Gear Member

well if you remember back in the mid 60's there was no camaro.... so ford mustang was competing with the corvette. and thats how i always thought of it, mustang vs. vette, and they should have made the the thunderbird to compete with the camaro. since there is no comaro anymore and theirs doubts it will come back soon, the mustang currently is competing with the corvette. so i say...

mustang vs. corvette
_______ vs. comaro
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Well I can remember back in the late 90's I believe it was........I was hearing alot of talk that Ford was gonna take the Thunderbird (which finished production back in what? 96? 97?) and make it into a V8 powered two seater. A true sports car to compete with the corvette. Of course, we all know that never happened. But it sounded like a damn good idea at the time.
Well, they did turn the Thunderbird into a V8 powered 2-seater, just not one that would compete with the Corvette. They relaunched the Thunderbird as 2-seater convertible (w/ hardtop) in 2002 with the same engine as the Lincoln LS, a 3.9L V8. The 2004 model of the Thunderbird weighed 3800lbs and was only pumping 280HP and 286lb-ft of torque. They sorely missed the mark on any competition for the Vette.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:30 AM
B
2nd Gear Member

well i think they should make the thunderbird a better performance car... make it look sexy and make em!

and come up with a GT that isnt such a super car look and price... yah kno.. ford needs more performance cars..

i dunno maybe i just dream to much...

Old 08-12-2006, 02:22 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

Stock for Stock

94-04 Mustang GT < 94-02 Z28

03-04 Cobra > 98-02 SS However the 99 and 01's dont stand a chance.

05-07 Mustang GT < New Camaro

06 GT500 > New Camaro

Now add mods to the stangs and yea they will pull a win, but add the same mod to a Camaro and you will get the same results. Granted Ford does win in some areas but those areas are S/C. Chevy is still makin big numbers without a power adder. My take, there never will be a car to keep up with the Z06, its in a league of its own, IT SMOKES VIPERS. Now according to Motor Trend Stock for Stock the GT500 couldnt keep up with the C6 which has 100HP less. Ford needs to do more research with there modular platform and stop adding S/C's to make there cars go just as fast as the LS's. The cream of the Ford crop is the GT500 and it cant even compete with the Z06, and yea im sure people will say well if I upgrade my pulley to get more boost I can smoke a new Z06 and yes they could. But imagine what would happen if the Z06 came with a S/C.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:07 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Well, they did turn the Thunderbird into a V8 powered 2-seater, just not one that would compete with the Corvette. They relaunched the Thunderbird as 2-seater convertible (w/ hardtop) in 2002 with the same engine as the Lincoln LS, a 3.9L V8. The 2004 model of the Thunderbird weighed 3800lbs and was only pumping 280HP and 286lb-ft of torque. They sorely missed the mark on any competition for the Vette.
Yes, I know about those retro T-birds. But what I was hearing back in the 90's was that they were gonna do the T-bird as a sports car..........not a roaster. Light weight, V8 power, aerodynamic.........everything needed to be in the same class as the corvette. But.......it never happened. Ford, it seems, has never associated power and performance with sales success.[&:]

Quick Reply: Ford's Corvette?