Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 AM
DaGTKing46
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..

i would have never got a gto but it was a very nice car R.I.P
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

GTO is a great machine, but I'll stick with the Stang!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:47 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

The new GTO was an embarasment to the heritage of the Muscle car and the original goats, what was Chevrolet thinking by using that ugly body and Aussie platform, yeah the engine was awesome, but the body was terrible. If Chevy would have spent a few development dollars to get the body to have a retro look, it most likely would have been a success. Corvettes are awesome, but priced out of the market. They have almost become a toy for the exclusively rich. Right now, Mustang definately has the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StantheMan

The new GTO was an embarasment to the heritage of the Muscle car and the original goats, what was Chevrolet thinking by using that ugly body and Aussie platform, yeah the engine was awesome, but the body was terrible. If Chevy would have spent a few development dollars to get the body to have a retro look, it most likely would have been a success. Corvettes are awesome, but priced out of the market. They have almost become a toy for the exclusively rich. Right now, Mustang definately has the biggest bang for the buck.
Have to agree with you...GTO had a great history and it was mean looking, the new one looks too soft.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 PM
JESTER01GT

I actually liked the new GTO. It has a clean look to it, rwd and plenty of *****. I do think they should have called it something else and modeled the new GTO after the old ones like the new Camaros and Mustangs.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 PM
99 35th gt
1st Gear Member

the gto might be dead but pontaic is coming out w/ something else to replace it.
its going to be the g8.
i personally like it, its luxurious and sporty at the same time.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Pacman131
1st Gear Member

Dude lets be realistic here, I think everyone knew the GTO was going to die out. Lets Compare to an Fbody, that's obviously not dead, they're coming out with one in a few years that's definately going to smoke a lot of mustangs. Sorry have to say it
Old 02-17-2007, 02:46 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, I know this is off subject but so's talkin about GTO's in a Mustang forum,,that is unless you're celebrating the demise of GTO's. Bye bye old goat!
I agree though, if only GM had thought RETRO they'd still be in the game but I certainly wouldn't have purchased itbecause it's a Pontiac,,or supposed to be ;-), because I don't like Pontiacs or Buicks for that matter, muscle or not.
On this evening's news I saw a debate on if/when GM is going to buy up Dodge....Can you believe it?
My god, what's the world coming to?
Anyway, as I was reading through this thread, I thought, what about the Dodge Charger? It seems a lot of you guys are very familiar with the older 'real'Goats right? I wish that Dodge would have come up with a retro Charger reflecting the late 60's just like Ford did instead of the boxed HEMI they've been pawning off as a Charger. GM's up and coming retro-Camaro looks pretty nice to me. Always liked that look.
I'm sort of torn about Ford replacing the retro-stangs with something new even though the new style looks really schueet. On one hand they should know to keep a good thing going. On the other hand, if they stop making the 05-07 model that would tend to keep their resale value up I would hope ;-). That's not a bad thing.
I do like the new style Mustang too. See below.............
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 PM
low11s
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StantheMan

Mustang doesn't have the MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK the GTO does. The Mustang just looks more like a man's car.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Having owned a 65 Conv GTO with a Ram Air 4/400 engine and a 69 coupe GTO w/400 I was difinately a Goat person long ago. Everyone thought I would get one when the word first came out about bringing it back to life. Man was I disappointed with the looks of it. Sure good motor & RWD but it looked like most cars on the road. GM sure didn't think it out. They just figured if it had the GTO emblem on it, it would sell. Not. I think it's just a limited few that buy a car because of the name not the looks.As others have said, R.I.P.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60765/989F5A21D3D84567AA193CFA08F47729.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Mustang lives on!! GTO dead..