Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

uproar at SVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:06 PM
UT04GT
3rd Gear Member

Default uproar at SVT

Ugh, I've been following the rumor mill on this for a while now. First it was that the new SVT Lightning was canned. Then it was that they canned all of SVT. Now they post this... The Lightning delayed until 2008 so they can focus on the next gen cobra. While I hope it's true, I hope it's not just a lie to hold us over until they actually can SVT entirely.

Lightning Struck: Ford decides to shelve SVT Lightning pickup
STEVEN COLE SMITH
Posted Date: 10/20/04
Ford has pulled the plug on the next-generation F-150 Lightning SVT pickup truck, instead putting all SVT's eggs into one basket - the SVT Cobra Mustang, due in 2006 as an '07 model.

"It's a business decision," said Alan Hall, SVT spokesman. The official line is that the Lightning has been "postponed," and not killed, but if it is revived, it will be 2008 or later before we see one. SVT has gone from three vehicles in 2004 - the Lightning, the Cobra Mustang and the SVT Focus - to none in 2005.

Ford had already shown a concept version of the next-generation Lightning in 2003. The concept had a supercharged V-8 engine with more than 500 horsepower, in answer to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, which eclipsed the Lightning as the world's fastest production pickup in a test last winter. Ford was eager to regain the crown, but has decided to deed the performance pickup-truck market over to Dodge and its 500-horse SRT-10, and to a lesser extent, Chevrolet, though the heavy all-wheel-drive Silverado SS is not in the same category.

The Lightning debuted in 1993, with a 240-horsepower version of Ford's 5.8-liter V-8. Cobby and not that attractive, it was only a mild success, and was dropped in 1995. The F-150's redesign led to a handsome new Lightning for 1999, featuring a 360-horsepower supercharged 5.4-liter V-8. A handful of 2004 Lightnings, not much changed from that 1999 model except for a horsepower bump to 380, remain on dealer lots. Base price: $33,560.

Apparently, cost played a leading role in the decision, as the expense involved in developing and certifying a proper V8, and massaging the new-for-2004 F-150's chassis, was deemed prohibitive. Also, the next-generation Lightning's fuel mileage would likely continue to detract from Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy totals: The current Lightning is rated at 12 mpg city, 16 mpg highway.

Even so, this news will not be popular with Lightning loyalists, such as Mike Philpot of Heathrow, Florida, who paid full sticker price for his Lightning in July, 1999. "My '99 Lightning has been a fantastic vehicle," he says. "It has about 54,000 miles on it, and it runs better than new. Never any problems. I bought an extended warranty from Ford, but I could have saved myself the money. It has it all: good looks, comfort, good handling and, of course, all that incredible power. Hardly a day goes by without at least one positive comment on it from someone.

"Hopefully, Ford will change its mind. If they want to keep the F-150 the most popular truck in the world with all the competition that it has now, they had better continue with their halo vehicle."
Old 10-24-2004, 03:43 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: uproar at SVT

That really sucks about the lightning-- though it doesn't seem to sell a lot around here. I've only seen one or two since 99.

I'd be really sad if they canned SVT completely... then cobras would be a rarity and I'd never get my hands on one.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:24 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i agree w/ her...........how can they just "give up" and literally hand dodge the sport truck crown. thats bullsh*t !!!!! "its a business decision" my ***. build the cobra next year, bring the Lightning out early '07 as an '08. itll sell !!! and dont worry Rock.......i dont think theyll get rid of SVT altogether.....too many people buy Cobras, so, im sure youll be able to get your hands on one eventually.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

They won't give up. They just want to get a new Cobra out before Shelby croaks! LOL!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:17 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

if they can SVT, I will burn down the ford corporate headquarters. j/k but I'd be pissed
Old 10-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Hrmm
CAN SVT!!!
And bring back SVO!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:08 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ob.....shutup. lol svt is way better than svo....unless you were j/p....then, sorry for jumping you.

but, honestly, what was the diff between svt and svo ??? was the 4-cyl turbo svo the only actualy "svo" ever made ???????? or what ?????
Old 10-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Lightnings are FUGLY, but super-fast.

Guys were running 12 flats on slicks and bolt-ons...

I bet it's a ploy to get more ppl to buy the cobra that would've gotten the lightning.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

ob.....shutup. lol svt is way better than svo....unless you were j/p....then, sorry for jumping you.

but, honestly, what was the diff between svt and svo ??? was the 4-cyl turbo svo the only actualy "svo" ever made ???????? or what ?????
Yeah, the SVO was only made for a few years.
And the SVO Team only did make one car.
But that car was good for what it was...
A great handling little package with the power the v8's were producing that year
Old 10-25-2004, 04:08 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

dont get me wrong........i respect 'em for what they were, but, imo, you cant even COMPARE them w/ a v8. 2 totally diff leagues. but, theyre were respectable for no more than what they were.

Quick Reply: uproar at SVT