Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Insurance Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:39 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Default Insurance Advice.

I am an insurance agent and I noticed there are some other insurance agents and adjusters on the forum. In case this hasn't been done, we should really help out those fellow stangers that have insurance questions. I know the young guys have questions, but the olders guys and gals may need advice too. You'd be amazed at the misconceptions and myths people have about insurance!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Insurance Advice.

This thread has great potential to help many, but you should post it in a section that gets a lot more traffic (possibly off-topic). You'll see a lot more responses there.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 AM
mustangrich
1st Gear Member

I have a question. I called my insurance provider and found out that to go from a V6 to a GT in the same year model range for me would only be a difference of about $190 a year. That's a lot less than it was when I was younger (I'm now 27 with a clean driving record). Out of curiosity I asked how much to insure myself in a BMW 330ci. To my surprise, it was less than the amount I currently pay to insure myself in my Mustang.

I stepped from an '82 Prelude to a V6 Mustang and my insurance practically doubled, and the difference between the V6 and the GT isn't nearly as great. A BMW 330 will out run and out drive a stock base Mustang. When I asked about the difference, she told me that rates were determined mostly by accident statistics; implying (though I didn't ask to clarify) that people who drive Mustangs, regardless of what's under the hood, get into more accidents than people who drive BMW 3 series. She also noted that Mustangs tend to get raced and there are higher numbers of accidents related to that. Is this accurate based on your experience?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Yes and no, I think it's more about who drives those vehicles. A BMW is not the first veh you think of when you say, "what would I buy if I wanted to race my car". While a Mustang is an inexpensive car that is easily modified and a favorite of young mostly male drivers. With male drivers being a higher risk than females (supposedly) and the 330ci is much more popular with the ladies. Yeah we all know the BMW is a drivers car but because of that it is much safer. You take a corner too fast in a beemer your chances are way better than if you were in a stock stang. Insurance companies know these things, that's what they pay us for.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 AM
ponyman1969
1st Gear Member

i like to say that nobody want to be an old sob. but in this case im so glad to be old and not paying a butload for insurance any more. i pay $624 a year for full coverage on my 99 gt. thats $52 a month.......wow....full coverage on my 04 ranger is only $594.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I have a question about accidents/claims. Me and my roomate had a discussion about who would be at fault if you were involved in an accidentwhere you werehit in the rear.He insited that it will NEVER be your fault unless you backed into someone. I know this is not 100% true because I have heard that "brake checking" someone could lead to you possibly being foundat fault, but I don't know about any other gray areas. I also know it may vary from state to state but I was wondering if you (or anyone else) know of any other examples where you get hit in the rear and are found to be at fault.

This conversation was prompted by him slowing down suddenly to make an illegal left (not a big deal in itself in this case) with some cars behind him.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Cal40

I had a question. I have heard auto insurance has recently gone down in the state of California and I was wondering will I automatically see those changes or do I have to call my insurance agency to make sure I get the lower rates?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

i live in pa and am 20 y/o and when i purchased my 2003 convertible gt the cheapest rate i could find to open a policy in my name was 10500 a year yeah thats astronomical
Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blkthndr03

i live in pa and am 20 y/o and when i purchased my 2003 convertible gt the cheapest rate i could find to open a policy in my name was 10500 a year yeah thats astronomical
That's not even reasonable. I pay 1,200 a year for an 03 Gt Vert. PM me and I will get you a quote from a few companies. www.wgoins.com
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Wow, $10,000 is a lot of money for insurance per year. I have full coverage on my 08 GT CS for $60 a month/720 a year but I have a great driving record and 46 years old.

Quick Reply: Insurance Advice.