Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New engine line up for 2009 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New engine line up for 2009 Mustang

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_pricing.html

Old 01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

There is no replacement for displacement. The ls1's that came out in 99 were 5.7 liter(347ci) motors. I dont understand why ford is sticking with the 5.4(329ci) so tight. The corvette's now have 427ci motors. Ford wouldn't need a supercharger either if they would up the liters and design aluminum heads that would help them get what they need. I am around nuthin but chevy guys and to be honest ford cannot compete with chevy unless the come with something else. Every since the ls1 has come out ford has been more about designing than horsepower. A stock 99 camaro z28 will blow away a stock 99 gt. This is what you hear from chevy guys "Ford has to make the horsepower that chevy makes with a supercharger. What happens when the chevy adds a supercharger(2009 chevrolet corvette z06)?." I hear this 3,4,5 times a week. I have an idea for the 2009 ford mustang gt. Take a 5.8 liter ford motor goodheads, mild cam, bigger injectors, better mass air, bigger throttle body, delete the back seat(real sports cars dont need back seats too much weight), come out with a t-top version along with a convertible. For the 2009 shelby use exact same motor but design as a turbo motor. Make the compression low so you can put at least 10 pounds of boost into the stock motor. This will leave room for the consumer to modify an already fast sports car as chevys do. I am aMUSTANG MAN and this chevy crap is getting out of hand. Ifford waits to long we will never catch them.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

Well...instead of trying to perfect a pushrod since the inception like chevy, ford has dabled in more progressive technology. I don't know if you will notice something, but if chevy made the same displacement engine...they tend to be lower horsepower than ford engines. Ford doesn't make huge production engines, because they chose not to. Furthermore, who cares if you use a supercharger to make your power? Displacement isn't always that big of a deal. Look at the supra, they can strap jet engine sized turbo's onto em and make well over 1000hp plus they are lighter. If you have to have low end torque, you will hate the smaller displacement engines...but if you want to feel like you're taking off in a jet at higher rpm....have a little faith. Plus, you can always get nitrous systems for turbo'd engines that shoot a 50 shot at low rpm to get em spooled by 2000 rpm....then ur pulling till redline.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
musclecarfreek04

hotrod magazine says ford has a modular boss engine (6.2 liter) slated for the f-150 in 09 and the stang in 2010.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

I heard on the 2010 forums that project was scrapped once the CAFE standards were put in place.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kyle2k

I heard on the 2010 forums that project was scrapped once the CAFE standards were put in place.
I heard that also. I think these new CAFE standards is going to kill this current horsepower war that is going on now. That would suck if the mid 70's came back in horsepower terms. [:'(]
Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NaplesFL03GT

ORIGINAL: kyle2k

I heard that also. I think these new CAFE standards is going to kill this current horsepower war that is going on now. That would suck if the mid 70's came back in horsepower terms. [:'(]
I wouldn't count on it, this time around we have direct injection, cylinder deactivation, VVT, etc etc etc. However, Chevy will probably have a hard time with their ancient push rod crap...thats why the new c7 vette is supposedly getting a 400 or less horsepower 4.9l (it will be 400 lbs lighter tho). This is where ford will shine, we have had practice at making efficient engines...whereas chevy has kinda been using the same old bag of tricks for 20 years...
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LSGun98

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

A 4.6 is going to be hard to compete against at 400hp 6.0.
But, the Camaro is going to have a hard time competing against the price point of the Stang.
chevy is not dropping a 6.0 LS2 in the new camaro. the LS2 is "supposively" going out of mass marketing. ive heard rumors of the LS3 6.3L stepping in but nothing is for sure yet. theres more certainty of what the challenger is going to have.. and its coming out before the new fbody.
Yes, the LS2 will be retired.
The New Camaro may start out in 09 with the L76 6.0L that is offered in the G8 Pontiac now rated at 361hp but the camaro version may have 400hp or the LS3 6.2L at 425hp.
The V6 looks like it may have the Northstar 3.8L 300hp DI
GM has also stated that the Camaro will Cost the same as the Mustang, maybe 1500 more but not much more than that,
so Ford needs to step it up here.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

I'm not losing sleep yet. I been out of the auto game for a while, but I know well enough to not panic too much about a car that doesnt exist yet. Chevy says they want these cars with 400 hp to be priced at (or a liitle above) the GT. This is no easy feat. Hell, Ford pulled it off in no small way by keeping a solid axle in the car.

Chevy will be sharing the Camaro platform with a 4 door version. This will change the handling and feel of the 2 door, make no mistake of it (where as the Stang was designedfrom aft to stern as a stand alone2 doorplatform from jump street)

you can shove a 700 hp engine in a station wagon, it doesnt make it a fun car to drive. There are still many more important charachteristics to a car than just the hp or torque of an engine.

so you gotta supercharge an engine to make power. yipty do!!!!
with the possible new Cafe standards looming over the muscle car's heads, who do you think has a better chance of surviving. the big displacement pushrods from Chevy, or Ford's ability to get damn good power out of less displacement, with a rock solid aftermarket support.

I'm a Chevy guy more than a Ford guy believe it or not, but I bought a Mustang for a reason
I aint losing a bit of sleep over it. IF a Chevy guy is busting your *****, look him in the eye and say "dude, you cant show off a car that doesnt exist yet"!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

GM has also stated that the Camaro will Cost the same as the Mustang, maybe 1500 more but not much more than that,

as I said in the post above, I'll believe this when I see it.

heck, the GT 500 is supossed to sell for 40 - 45g's, go to a Ford dealer with 45g cash and watch them laugh at you.

Quick Reply: New engine line up for 2009 Mustang