Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

How many special edition Mustangs do you need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

Default How many special edition Mustangs do you need?

With all the talk of future Mustangs, how many special models can they actually warrant? Bullit, Boss, Mach 1, Shelby GT, Shelby GT500, Shelby GT-H, Roush(Stg. 1-3), Saleen(3 versions). I think it seems a little overboard. Anyone with me, or are there enough people partial to one name vs. the other to make them all?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
JDBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How many special edition Mustangs do you need?

Never too many !!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well, Saleen and Roush are aftermarket mustang producers. They just purchase MGT's from Ford and do their own thing. Right now, Ford's mustang productions break down like this:

V6 Base mustang (210hp)
GT (300hp)
Shelby GT500 (500hp)

The GT-H and the new Shelby GT are being offered by Shelby Auto. So I don't think those cars technically qualify as Ford production mustangs either.

You just have to understand mustang heritage to really get why so many ppl wanna see the return of so many classic badges (Boss, Mach 1, etc...).

I don't see anything wrong with offering more special performance models for the mustang line. Hell, right now we go from a 27K GT with 300hp to a 45K GT500 with 500hp. There needs to be something substantial to bridge the gap IMO. And it shouldn't be a special GT with bolt-ons and a paint job either[:@]

Here's what I think would have been cool.......and mind you, this is before I found out Ford sold the rights to the Boss name. I think they should have developed a mustang platform to support an aluminum block 5.4.....along with all the suspension refinements needed to support a better handling mustang. Then they take that car, and offer it in two trim levels: Mach 1 and Boss. They would both sport classic colors exclusive to each badge and feature old style satin blackout trim. They would be very similar in appearance except for the front ends and hoods. The Boss would get a Bullitt styled hood (bolt-on hood scoop) while the Mach 1 gets a fully functional shaker hood system styled after the classic spear hoods. Both cars would run the same hp.......385-400hp NA. The Mach 1 would come with the standard 5 speed manual while the Boss would come with the same 6 speed tranny as the GT500. The Mach would feature stronger, higher quality rear suspension (for better drag setups) while the Boss would get a full suspension work-over better suited to road course racing. Both would be lower than the standard GT (by an inch or so) and have bigger brake setups. The Boss could roll on 255 series tires all around while the Mach would sport 255's up front and 275's out back.

In essence, you would take the 5.4 mustang......and turn it into two specialty mustangs. I know it won't happen, but I just always thought it would be cool for Ford to go a route similar to this. The Boss would be targeted more towards corner carving while the Mach 1 would remain dedicated to classic pony car drag enthusiasts. Eh well, sounded like a good idea at the time.[8D]

And in closing, let me just say that more options is always a good thing for the consumer. Having different models offering varying levels of performance and styling presents a better opportunity for an automaker to reach a larger market and sell more cars. Plus....you can never get too much of a good thing.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147
Here's what I think would have been cool.......and mind you, this is before I found out Ford sold the rights to the Boss name.
What, when did this happen?!

I like your ideas for the Mach 1 and Boss, and I also think Ford should do something like that, which is sort of similar to the 03/04 model years when they had the Mach 1 with its muscle likeness, and the Cobra with the IRS and all that, if only the Mach 1 was supercharged too, but then it would have been too expensive.

I'm a big fan of options, not just special cars (which I really like), but just more basic options. Remember back in the real muscle car days (ok, I'm too young, but still), when every muscle car came with like 5+ engine options? That was cool.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I only care about BOSS and MACH1... Shelby is cool, but the sticker for that name is way up there. Rather have something that is less fast, but still different.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

If they make another Boss it should be equal to the Shelby.
Anyone remember the BOSS 429.
The Boss 429 outperformed the Shelby back in the day
Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

I want an under-rated New Mach 1 producing 390hp/390 trq. Engine options from 5.4L V8 to a 5.8L 351 V8. Full Mach 1 accessories including chin-spoiler and rear louvers not to mention the shaker system. Can't forget I would REALLY like the car to be UNDER 3500lbs (I know it wouldn't happen, but I can dream right?).
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

I still consider Saleen, Shelby, and Roush to be Ford Specialty Mustangs because they are sold at Ford dealerships and carry Ford warranties. I understand the heritage of the Mustangs, my step-dad has been buying Mustangs since 65, but I think only so many names can be revived and how many times will you hear, "It should've had more power". There are very good reasons for it usually as to not encroach on the GT500, but so many people are partial to one name, you aren't going to make people happy with a 325HP Shelby GT, a 350HP Bullit, a 375HP Mach 1, a 400HP Boss, a 425HP Cobra(<just random examples) and so on.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justice

I only care about BOSS and MACH1... Shelby is cool, but the sticker for that name is way up there. Rather have something that is less fast, but still different.
I think you just captured what many others and myself have been saying since all this news of more Shelby models started creeping down the grapevine. The Shelby name just draws too much drool from dealerships.........and its sending the markups through the roof. How much you wanna bet the new Shelby GT is gonna be selling for around or over 40K in alot of places? And mind you, that's close to the GT500's MSRP. A new Boss or Mach 1 might still fetch some markups from dealerships at first, but not as much as the Shelby's and probably not for as long.

And I understand your point completely S2K1. But the focus is on Ford's productions....since there are many, like myself, that don't want an aftermarket version of the mustang. Hell, I can buy a GT and do all the necessary bodywork and bolt-ons myself and end up with any of those aftermarket cars. So that, to me, just aggrevates the fact that there is nothing offered by Ford to be the middle child between the 300hp GT and 500hp GT500. I don't need to see new GT350's, Bullitts, Cali Specials, Twister editions, and whatever else. I just want Ford to put a 400hp NA mustang on the market......whatever they wanna call it. Sure, it would be sweet if they called it the Boss or Mach 1....but it really doesn't matter what the badge on the side says. Hell, call it the Rattlesnake.....I'd still take interest.[8D]

And really, it is almost essential considering that GM is approaching the release of its new 400hp Camaro.......and Dodge is readying the new Challenger, which will come in at least 350 and 430hp forms. Ford won't keep up, even with the GT500.........its just too far out of the price range of most mustang enthusiasts. THAT'S where a new Boss or Mach 1 would come in. A 400hp stang to compete with the new arrivals that is priced reasonably enough for the average guy, like myself.

Either way, Ford won't end up with any specialty mustangs it can't sell. You can trust me on that. Even if they produce a new Mach 1, Bullitt edition, Boss, and GT350..........they will all still sell. And really, that's all that matters at the end of the day........that these new models are profitable. Of course, Ford has still beat the competition in the past with nothing but V6 sales. So if the beancounters have their way, we may not see ANY new specialty mustangs anytime soon.[:@]
Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

I would like to see a special edition that is not a name with a few fancy decals. It would also be nice if the "Ford Dealers" did not bend you over on the price to acquire one, hope springs eternal.

Quick Reply: How many special edition Mustangs do you need?