Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Should there be a new Mercury Cougar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default Should there be a new Mercury Cougar?

Just an idea, with a really quick photoshop by me (only did the grille/front bumper and wheels)

use the mustang underpinnings, like the original...

different headlights, grill, hood, the elongated tails, different side concave, roofline....

basically, use the engines(with some tweeking), lincolnesk interior, white faced mustang guages could work with different font, less plasticy interior.

What I was thinking, to let the mustang be free of in company competition they would take those turbo 4cyl and a turbo V6's I've heard rumors of them using in the mustang and put them into this. That way, fleet mileage would go a little higher and the Mustang would still be offered with a V8

discuss (and pretend the photoshop was better)
Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 PM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Should there be a new Mercury Cougar?

Honestly, the Mercury name ain't worthwhat it used to be. I'm just not sure another rebadged Ford w/ a waterfall grill on itwould bea good idea. Now don't get me wrong, the Mustang based Cougars(67-73) are now the stuff of legends. Heck, even the Thunderbird based Cougars (89-97) were pretty nice. But bland badge engineering has taken it's toll on the Mercury brand, I think so much so that a Mustang based Merc at this point would be pretty pointless.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

heres some other concepts floating around on the interwebs...

Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Ok, I changed my mind! Those pix are bad *ss! If they built it i'd probably have to buy it.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

Yes! Mercury NEEDS something like this to keep it alive. But it has to be done right, not just a Mustang with a hockey puck emblem glued on.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 AM
FixFalcon
2nd Gear Member

Nah, they need to bring back a V-6 turbo Probe! Only this time REAR WHEEL DRIVE!.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:49 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Looks good. Not sure is the market is ready but maybe a limited edition Cougar Elimator would be sweet.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Proud Marine Parent

I'll Take One In Black With The White Stripe's, Black Interior With The White Out GaugePack, Manual Tranny,Will ItHave The 5.4L Motor Out Of The GT40? Or Will It Have The GT 500 Motor? Or Are They Doing A Mercury Based Motor?? It Will Need A Performance Based Suspension. And Lots Of Bell's And Whistle's!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 AM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FixFalcon

Nah, they need to bring back a V-6 turbo Probe! Only this time REAR WHEEL DRIVE!.
Or make a Mazda RX-9 that's a turbo V-6 instead. The California specials have ruined the Mustang jump off. I think Ford should start all over for the Cougar. I would buy one if they were ONLY offered in 2 dr. coupes. Ford has a habit of making things gay. 4 dr sedans, 4dr. station wagons. Taurus and Tempo anyone? Although, the Taurus finally started going in the right direction after a decade or so.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: MustangMan628

Or make a Mazda RX-9 that's a turbo V-6 instead. The California specials have ruined the Mustang jump off. I think Ford should start all over for the Cougar. I would buy one if they were ONLY offered in 2 dr. coupes. Ford has a habit of making things gay. 4 dr sedans, 4dr. station wagons. Taurus and Tempo anyone? Although, the Taurus finally started going in the right direction after a decade or so.

wtf?

Quick Reply: Should there be a new Mercury Cougar?