Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Which Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
NY90TitaniumSC

Default Which Mustang?

I'm not sure if this is the forum to post this, so I apologize ahead of time if it's not.
I am trying to decide which Mustang I should shoot for and wanted to get some input from those who own one or more of these cars. I have seen many Mustangs both here and elsewhere that have really caught my eye, but I haven't found one, with the exception of the 2008 Shelby KR500 that totally stood out above the rest. Unfortunately, the chances of me coming up with 6 figures to buy one of those is slim to none.
But, what I am wondering is, what Mustang do y'all like best, and why? If you own a 99 Cobra, why do you love it so much vs. another type or style of Mustang? If there's another Mustang you want to own, why is that? I'm trying to gather as much data as I can from fellow Mustang enthusiasts so I can make and educated decision. Is there a certain year of Mustang that is more prone to mechanical failure and trouble?
Which powerplant combination seems to be a favorite among the owners here? I'm looking for any and all input, so please do not hesitate to let me know why youbought the Mustang you did, and if ytou're happy with it, why? If you're not happy with it, then what are the reasons for your displeasure?
I have seen a growing number of used Mustangs filling up the local dealership lots as of late and I'm curious as to why that might be. the 2005 and up Mustangs seem to be making up a majority of those found on the lots and I'm wondering why that might be.
I am really fond of the 95-03 bodystyle and would really like to hear from those who own that bodystyle and get their input as well. I don't want this to turn into a "this mustang is better than your mustang" type of thread either. I just want input from owners of ALL years and variations to assist me in narrowing down my search because right now, to be honest with you, it can get a bit overwhelming seeing all the different Mustang platforms currently available.
Thanks for your input and advice in advance!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 PM
MustangFanatic4
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which Mustang?

69 mach 1 fast back
Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

Sorry man, there is no 95-03 bodystyle.

There's the94-98, SN95 bodystyle (see my avatar) then there's the 99-04 body style.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
NY90TitaniumSC

ORIGINAL: 5.0LitreSN95

Sorry man, there is no 95-03 bodystyle.

There's the94-98, SN95 bodystyle (see my avatar) then there's the 99-04 body style.
See? I got alot to learn about these cars. [:@]

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 AM
AMD692

Def. the new GTR concept
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

Ya, no problem, you gotta start somewhere. I'll give you a very basic rundown the pros and cons of the various years, excluding classics.

Fox body (1979-1993),Lx and Gt came stock with a 225 hp and 285 torque 5.0L V8- Pros- cheap, huge andcheapaftermarket, easy to work on. Styling on these bad boys are hit or miss though, some people love them while some people hate them. Also, these cars are for the most part over 20 years old, meaning they probably have high mileage and are more likely to have mechanical problems. Other cons are: lack of rigidity, often poor ride quality,4 lug, and subpar interior.

SN95 (1994-1995), Gt comes stock with a 215 hp and285 torque 5.0L V8- Pros: medium price, large and cheapaftermarket, easy to work on, better handling and more rigid than Fox body, 5 lug, generally seen to have a better interior than the Fox. Cons- again, an older car so you might run into the same issues as the Fox.

(1996-1998), Gt comes stock with a 215 hp and 285 torque 4.6L 2 valveV8- Pros: medium price, better handling and more rigid than Fox body, 5 lug, generally seen to have a better interior than the Fox. Cons- 4.6L engine is a bit of a dog, these years are the slowest of the bunch and the aftermarket is limited and more expensivewhen compared to the 5.0L aftermarket.

New Edge (99-04), Gtcomes stock with a 260 hp and 300 torque PI 2 valve4.6L V8-Pros: new styling,good hangling and rigidity, nice interior, high horsepower and an aftermarket that isbetter than the 1996-1998Mustangs.Cons: things are starting to get pricey with this model,both purchase price and aftermarket. Also, weight is starting to be an issue, this car is slightly heavier than the 1994-1998 and significantly heavier than theFox Mustangs.

S197 (2005-2008), Gt comes stock with a 300 hp and 305 torque3 valve 4.6LV8-Pros: newretro styling, best handling and rigidity of the bunch, top quality interior, highest horsepower with an aftermarket second only to the5.0L Foxes.Cons- expensive, heavy as hellwhen compared tothe others, and issignificanlty bigger than the others (height, length, width and overall size).

Overall 1/4 Mile Performances:

1996-1998 < 1994-1995 < Fox < New Edge < S197

Hope this helpsyoumake your decision.

*Note this includesnoinfo on special models like: Cobra, Bullit, Mach 1, Saleen, Roush etc because I'm way to lazy tomake a write up about all of them.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

Wikipedia has a ton of great info about Mustangs through the various generations.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM
NY90TitaniumSC

I appreciate the rundown. I do like the looks of the Fox bodies GT's, but being in the awesome Northeast, the majority of these cars are showing their age by rusting and deteriorating.
I like the 99 Cobra and REALLY like that bodystyle as well as the new style. But, asI said, I'm seeing ALOT of 2005-present 'Stangs sitting on the used car lots and I'm VERY curious as to why they are there. You can normally gauge how much a car is liked and how popular it is by how many are NOT on the used car lot. I'm wondering why so many are being traded in so soon after being purchased.
Keep feeding me your opinions and experiences people. I am VERY interested and am taking notes!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

1984-1986 SVO Mustang. About ~9850 produced, and far ahead of their time. The car was developed to compete with European challengers such as the 944. Turbocharged and intercooled 2.3, 5 lug, 4 wheel disc brakes, Hurst shifter, Recaro sport seats, adjustable Koni's all around, functional hood scoop, dual spoiler, some other goodies. People generally have a love it/hate it relationship with these cars. I would buy one, but I might be a bit biased.....since I own 2

Pros: rare, cheap, unique

Pros/Cons: love it/hate it styling, love it/hate it mentality on the 2.3 T

Cons: 20+ years old, SVO specific parts are getting kind of tough to find
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
daneyb

03/04 Cobra, pricess have came down and there is no better car to mod!!

Quick Reply: Which Mustang?