Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Is the Camaro too late?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Is the Camaro too late?

Saw this in the paper today and though it might peak your interests.I'll try and copy down the jist of it:

WILL THE CAMARO ARRIVE TOO LATE FOR THE PARTY?
Factors Working Against Comeback
Martin Zimmerman-Los Angeles Times

The new Chevy Camaro would seem to have everything going for it: a genuinely storied tradition, a built-in fan base, even a starring role in a blockbuster movie. But as they say at the local comedy club, timing is everything. And in that regard, at least, the Camaro can't seem to get its act together.

General Motors Corp. expects to have the new Camaro in dealer showrooms dealer the first quarter of 2009. That would be 3 years after a Camaro concept car was unveiled as GM's entry into the current muscle car market-well behind retro rivals the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.

"I honestly don't understand what they're waiting for," said Dick Guldstrand of Burbank Cal. based Guldstrand Motor Sports. "(The concept) was pretty impressive, but I'm still waiting to see the real thing," said Mark Bird of the Cool Runnin' Camaros of S. Cal. Club. GM knows that more than a few of its customers are toe tapping with impatience. Designing the car around a new rear wheel platform rather than using existing architecture as did Ford and Chrystler is the main reason for the long lead time. "Maybe we showed the concept a little early," commented GM spokesperson Wendy Clark. "I know it feels like a long time, but it will be worth the wait."

Or will GM miss the 'sweet spot' of the muscle car rebirth. The first muscle cars were killed off by high gasoline prices, a weakening economy, new federal regulations, and rising insurance rates. Those same factors are threatening to choke off the cars' comeback before the new Camaro even reaches dealers. It doesn't that the new fuel economy standards US congress passed in Dec will make it tougher for automakers to justify selling big engined cars. The darkening outlook has squelched rumours that other muscle icons such as the Pontiac Firebird were poised for a comeback.

GM points out however, that the new Camaro will be available with a more fuel efficient v6 as well as a v8

That's about it. Though I am more partial to Fords and Mopars, it will be truly unfortunate if the Camaro misses the best of therevival. I figure the early unveiling is understandable too. Ford comes out with the S197's... people love them... GM has to reassure its customers that they'll have something "retro-cool" as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is the Camaro too late?

GM will sell the new Camaro hands over fist. Don't worry about that. Whether it'll sell S197 numbers.....who knows. Fact is that the new Camaro could come out a steaming pile of crap and there'd beplenty enough GM loyalists to sell every single one that got produced for the first two years. The Camaro has been gone for six years, its rebirth will be a success one way or another.... regardless of its build quality, performance, or MPG ratings.

Back in the early 70's, ppl didn't realize what the auto industry wasabout tosuffer for the next 20 or so years. Ppl remember those days now. They know what they missed out on by selling their old muscle classics. They feel that burn even today. They'll spend what they have to not to miss the next big musclecar war........gas prices, over-extended mortgages,or MPG be damned.[8D]
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

They will sell great for a year or two. Once all the fanboys have one, the camaro will die the same death it did in '02 and for the same reason: Lack of sales.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
RedDevilSC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Elwood

Designing the car around a new rear wheel platform rather than using existing architecture as did Ford and Chrystler is the main reason for the long lead time.
I don't understand this statement AT ALL. The new Camarois being built on the Zeta platform, which had been developed by GM Holden in Australia for their Commodore line. It's not like they whipped up brand spankin' new architecture just for the sake of building a Camaro. The R&D work for Zeta had already been completed by Holden.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Really? Hmm that's interesting.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:00 AM
blackonblack2007
1st Gear Member

I think GM is trying to make the Camaro 'perfect'. They are sparing no expense to get it right the first time, which unfortunately takes a long time. I believe that they should have released it Sep 07 as an 2008 at the very latest. The Zeta platform is engineered, but GM was going to spread out the platform to mulitiple cars here in North America, at least until before the new CAFE law was passed. I think this aspect delayed the Camaro to now unfortuanately. The Camaro will sell well, but not as well as the S197. There have been rumors that Chevy will place the same 2.0L Turbo I-4 that is in the Sky/Solstice/Colbalt SS/HHR SS in the Camaro as a fuel-efficent but sporty option to help offset the V-6/V-8 engine offerings in the CAFE standings.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

They will sell great for a year or two. Once all the fanboys have one, the camaro will die the same death it did in '02 and for the same reason: Lack of sales.
But wasnt that because the Camaro wasnt very "stylish"?

Compared to the S197 i think it looks kick ***
Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

I'm starting to think that the V6 eccoboost car sounds good. I hope it won't suffer the same fate as the SVO in the 80's. The key for it will be a price that is less than the GT but about the price of a mid ranged V6 now. And personally the Camaro is the ugliest of the new pony cars. The stang and challenger are both awesome looking.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I deff. like the Challenger and Stang a lot more. And yeah, I'd be okay with an ecoboost Stang. Rather have a V8, but that's what my Galaxie could be for
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

I'd get an eccoboost for fuel economy and power. And as soon as i have an opportunity when i get that car and get out of college i'm gonna get a nice performance 5.0 for my 87 stang.

Quick Reply: Is the Camaro too late?