Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Electric powered Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Electric powered Mustangs?

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

Propane is 105 octane
True, but it has never been effective in race applications.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chriswells78

I'd have to get a repeating loop CD of exhaust notes to play. It just wouldn't feel right without the noise[&:]. I wonder how much electricity it would take per month to keep it charged every day? Using 0 gas wouldn't be worth it if it cost you an extra $500 per month on your light bill.
They claim it costs about 3 cents a mile to charge the car.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Chaston

An electric pony is not a bad idea at all. However, I think a little bit of power will be sacrificed, 10 horsepowers or more. Electric power can give just a little boost compared to gas engines in a regular Mustang model. And have they tried considering the cost of production? Are they affordable or what? I guess I'd still stick with the old pony car with the power performance of its Ford Mustang parts!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:41 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

The only problem is the initial cost
this.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chaston

An electric pony is not a bad idea at all. However, I think a little bit of power will be sacrificed, 10 horsepowers or more. Electric power can give just a little boost compared to gas engines in a regular Mustang model. And have they tried considering the cost of production? Are they affordable or what? I guess I'd still stick with the old pony car with the power performance of its Ford Mustang parts!
No power sacrificed. Electric motors are just as powerfull as combustion. Instantainious torque & HP. Where doyou get your mis-information?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chriswells78

I'd have to get a repeating loop CD of exhaust notes to play. It just wouldn't feel right without the noise[&:]. I wonder how much electricity it would take per month to keep it charged every day? Using 0 gas wouldn't be worth it if it cost you an extra $500 per month on your light bill.
they said it was like 3 cents a mile which ends and if you compare that to the way gas is in my area lets say 3.60 for regularthat would mean that for $3.60 you would get a 120 miles.....sounds a lot better.....so i guess it would reach 500 per month. although i dont like the idea it seems like it may be the way, just cant see my car running quitely on electricity
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
88fox50
1st Gear Member

i wonder why they couldnt charge the car initially, then rig some sort of alternator/charger on it so as you drive it, it charges itself...thats fesible isnt it?
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

The laws of thermodynamics don't allow that
You'd end up putting more energy charging that battery than you would get out as power to the wheels.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Change is coming but it's safe to say that traditional Mustang owners are not going to embrace that change. So much BS being flinged at electric cars by people so set in their ways that they want to drive cars that burn gasoline (and make the Arab countries rich) regardless of how much it pollutes or puts the country at risk.

Did the guys who drove the early steam engine cars complained when gasoline engines first appeared? "Those things aren't loud enough! No one will know I'm driving behind them!"

Alternative cars are the future. Ford will not be able to market one with the name Mustang effectively. They're going to have to kill it like this:

Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
natbel08
1st Gear Member

while i like all the benifits of the electric car idea...idk if it would compensate for the roar of a v8, much less just the feel of one.i dont think id like to hear a little wizz when i reved my car up

Quick Reply: Electric powered Mustangs?