Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Is it time for a 4 banger stang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it time for a 4 banger stang?

Why does a 4 cylinder have to be FWD? It can still be RWD.

And they don't even have to use a 4 banger. Even the Focus's out here only the bottom of the range models use the 4 cylinder engines the higher end ones all use the 5 pot engines. So what about a 5 pot turbo making 300hp? Still if these newer v8 blocks are all going to have this displacement on demand thing whats the point in a 4 cylinder? And gas prices are what $4 a gallon it really isn't that bad yet. Just wait till you are nearing $10 a gallon and then tell me gas is expensive.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

ORIGINAL: Elwood

Ugh. I couldn't buy one. The 80's SVO was okay since the fox was so small, but not now...
If people want really good mileage, don't buy a sports car. Now a decent 6cyl, I'd be fine with but a 4... eh not so much.

4 cylinders does not necessarily mean good gas mileage either. According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov, a 2008 Corvette gets 16 city, 26 highway with it's 6.2L V8. A Honda S2000 gets 18 city and 25 highway. 08 Evo? 17/22. 08 Sti? 17/23

Going fast requires gas, no matter what kind of engine you've got.
I have two friends with Mazdaspeed3's that average 24mpg with 50/50 city/highway driving.
Cool. Looked it up on the website just now 18/26.I kinda like 'em. Drove in a standard 3 and the interior was pretty neat.Now if only the Speed3 was a sedan and not wagon...

But uh, just saying that putting in a performance 4 isn't going to be as huge of a difference form an 8as some may believe.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

And they don't even have to use a 4 banger. Even the Focus's out here only the bottom of the range models use the 4 cylinder engines the higher end ones all use the 5 pot engines. So what about a 5 pot turbo making 300hp?
Yeah. I4 doesn't mean instant econo-box. They don't all sound terrible either. I've heard lots of Sti's go by and they sound pretty nice. (Perhaps it's due to it being a Boxer engine?)

Also, is there a 5cyl Focusin North America? I've heard of the Focus ST in Europe with the I5 Tubro but nothing of them in Canada or the States.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Elwood

ORIGINAL: wozz

And they don't even have to use a 4 banger. Even the Focus's out here only the bottom of the range models use the 4 cylinder engines the higher end ones all use the 5 pot engines. So what about a 5 pot turbo making 300hp?
Yeah. I4 doesn't mean instant econo-box. They don't all sound terrible either. I've heard lots of Sti's go by and they sound pretty nice. (Perhaps it's due to it being a Boxer engine?)

Also, is there a 5cyl Focusin North America? I've heard of the Focus ST in Europe with the I5 Tubro but nothing of them in Canada or the States.

Ya thats exactly why. But as far as milage, Fords ecoboast program should squeeze more milage out of the turbo 4. There is no 5cyl Focus in North America.

Also the Mazdaspeed3 is a great car, tons of torque, typically dyno at just under 270tq at the wheels. I love the 3's and am partial to the look of the hatch...(i own one).
Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
thedragon
1st Gear Member

A 4 cyl mustang wouldnt buy it. Although if we're in that territory then what about the probe :-P
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Pht "Probe". That gets me everytime. My friend and I call them d*ldos. They are always such vibrant colours too! Nothing against the car or its drivers. Just the name.

Ah yeah I didn't think there was "5er" Focus here. Just checking.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

A 4-cyl Mustang is impractical due tothe car'sweight. The car is heavy because it isdesigned to support an 8-cyl engine (with rwd)without twisting the thing to pieces. You will not get a quick 4-cyl plus good gas mileage in this car (currently the S197). It would require a total redesign.You also cannot havedifferent chassis for different engines, because that would jack up the price and be totally against the logic and heritage behind the Mustang, Ford,and mass production automobiles since Henry Ford first startedhis assembly line.

If you want a 4-cyl Ford, buy a Focus. If you want a quick "4 banger" Ford, buy an SVT or ST Focus. The car is designed around theengine it carries. I have a ZX3Focuswith the 2.0Cosworth based engine (a race proven design) that gets 30+ mpg with mixed city/highway driving (34+ hwy only). It was affordable, has a huge aftermarket for tuning parts, and saves mileage on my fuel loving Mustang GT.My Focus hasaftermarket cams, throttle body,full exhaust, and can seat a family of five while only sipping fuel (when I keep my right foot off the firewall).

All this aside though...
I believe anyone searching for a truely quick fuel efficient mode of transportation should be riding on two wheels...or discover a breakthrough in electronics (keeping solar power in mind)to one-up the Tesla Roadster, or another yet to bediscovered technology. However, keep in mind that even motorcycles get so-so gas mileage when running wide open throttle most of the time...electronic is probably similar.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thedragon

A 4 cyl mustang wouldnt buy it. Although if we're in that territory then what about the probe :-P
Probe!?!?! really? what are you .. gay, the probe was completely marketed to chicks, if you are a guy driving a probe and thinks its cool, there's a problem.

i didn't want to keep the 2.3 at first, then gas kept going up, my mileage stayed around 23-25 and i can still look cool, cause it is a foxbody.. as for now, the bigger cars with the 4cyl would be a waste, the v6 gets good enough gas mileage. and if you want a car for mileage, you cant get a car that goes fast....
Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

[:'(]4 banger
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Getaway

A 4-cyl Mustang is impractical due tothe car'sweight. The car is heavy because it isdesigned to support an 8-cyl engine (with rwd)without twisting the thing to pieces. You will not get a quick 4-cyl plus good gas mileage in this car (currently the S197). It would require a total redesign.You also cannot havedifferent chassis for different engines, because that would jack up the price and be totally against the logic and heritage behind the Mustang, Ford,and mass production automobiles since Henry Ford first startedhis assembly line.

If you want a 4-cyl Ford, buy a Focus. If you want a quick "4 banger" Ford, buy an SVT or ST Focus. The car is designed around theengine it carries. I have a ZX3Focuswith the 2.0Cosworth based engine (a race proven design) that gets 30+ mpg with mixed city/highway driving (34+ hwy only). It was affordable, has a huge aftermarket for tuning parts, and saves mileage on my fuel loving Mustang GT.My Focus hasaftermarket cams, throttle body,full exhaust, and can seat a family of five while only sipping fuel (when I keep my right foot off the firewall).

All this aside though...
I believe anyone searching for a truely quick fuel efficient mode of transportation should be riding on two wheels...or discover a breakthrough in electronics (keeping solar power in mind)to one-up the Tesla Roadster, or another yet to bediscovered technology. However, keep in mind that even motorcycles get so-so gas mileage when running wide open throttle most of the time...electronic is probably similar.
Your logic would make sense except

- Ford's Turbo 2.3l employeed in the Mazdaspeed3 makes 300tq at the flywheel

- Ford is expected to make an ecoboast(ford's newest form of direct injection) version of the above motor which would up hp to around 300, raise tq numbers and fuel efficiency.

- The 2010 Mustang suppose to be lighter then the current S197. Say at the min. 100lbs, combine that with a small all alumininum 4 banger and it should out weigh in at about 3300lbs at the most. Combine that with the same hp as the current GT and it should leave the current GT out of breath.

- If thats not fast enough..........we all know how easy it is to make turboed cars go faster.....chip it...raise boast.

- A lighter motor upfront would also bring the Mustang closer to 50/50 weight distribution.

Again I'm not advicating the removal of the V8 from the linup but Ford needs to start thinking about fleet mpg averages and such.

Also again....click

Quick Reply: Is it time for a 4 banger stang?