Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

100% OFFICIAL NEW CAMARO SPECS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 100% OFFICIAL NEW CAMARO SPECS

ORIGINAL: 99RedStang

Hold on just a minute there! To all those saying the V6 Camaro will pwn the GT, I'd like to point out a few things. Although they are both rated at 300hp, torque and weight are huge factors as well. Let's take a look...

Weight
Mustang: 3356 lbs.
Camaro: 3741 lbs. (I'm being generous by using the lightest version)

Torque
Mustang: 320 ft.-lbs.
Camaro: 273 ft.-lbs.

So, while the Camaro may have a decent view of the Mustang's tail lights, it certainly will not be pwning it.
+1 There is absolutely no way a new V6 camaro will hang with an S197 GT. Maybe a new edge, but even that would be close.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 100% OFFICIAL NEW CAMARO SPECS

i think we will still have an edge... put it like this, it would be like racing an SRT8 charger.(which are pretty easy to beat for me) the camaros are so damn heavy, 3800-3900lbs?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

well...with a pricetag of 25K for the V6...it doesn't really scare me that much
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

I think it will still be interesting to see what happens. I'm no expert but to me it seems like the the gearing on the manual v6 is weird, I mean a 4.48 first gear. I bet thats gonna really be quick. I wanna see how the launch will be especially when the aftermarket comes out with power adders. Oh, and expect to see incorrect dyno numbers for the auto cars because there isn't a 1:1 gear. As far as power, the v6 shouldn't beat a stock s197 gt simply because it's weighs more and has almost 50 less torque.
Now the SS vs. the S197 GT should have an out come close to the ls2GTO. The camaro weight's about 150lbs more than the gto but has a little more power, but the tranny(manual) and rear ratio's are exactly the same.
I say tune, cai, 4.10's, + driver mod will be enough.

The good news is that the camaro may not hang around that long, because if the price is going to be the v6camaro=gt and sscamaro=gt500 (sticker to sticker). The mustang will be a better buy.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
chiguy79
1st Gear Member

competition makes everyone better...I like the camero but as lucki said the comparison may be V6/GT at their price levels.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
LT1RUNNER
1st Gear Member

I say at this point it's speculation. Until the car is out then we will all know for sure what it can do against the Stang. But truth be told the Camaro specs look great on paper but the Stang already has huge numbers out there and proved it can run at the track.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

The V6 camaro will not hang with the S197 GT's (3700 pds + lack of TQ). You got to be a fool to think so! Currently, the unofficial SS will beat our S197 GT's- it better considering it will cost more! If Ford bumps the S197 GT HP up to 350, then the SS will be an even match (stock). If we get 400 HP, then the SS will lose (stock) IMO. I cant wait for the camaro SS MSRP & whether or not Ford will up the HP significantly.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Why do you think Mustangs have always been around while all the other muscle cars died out at one point or another? They are affordable.

Now, I'm simply a fan of American muscle altogether (with maybe a slight bias toward Mustangs), so I can state things from an objectionable standpoint. While the Challengers and Camaros will come with more HP from the factory, they also weigh more and cost more. Those are major factors when considering a possible purchase (well, not to people who just want to look good in them, but to people who care about performance at a reasonable price). Not to mention, Mustangs are easy to mod and can easily keep up with and surpass the other cars with a few mods.

Within the next couple of years, I will either buy a Challenger R/T or a S197 GT for my next car. I'm mulling over the pros and cons of each. I love the looks of both. The Challenger has more HP but the weight issue really bothers me. They won't end up being that much faster than the GT's because of the extra weight. I might just wait and see what Ford will offer when they drop new engines in the Mustangs. Hopefully, the results will be impressive.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99RedStang
Why do you think Mustangs have always been around while all the other muscle cars died out at one point or another? They are affordable. While the Challengers and Camaros will come with more HP from the factory, they also weigh more and cost more.
Outstanding! I couldnt agree more. The Mustang has the popularity, cost less, & are the lightest. No wonder they produced over 9,000,000! Its going to be interesting to see the MSRP for the Camaro SS. IMO, if the MSRP is over 34,000, then the camaro SS will be doomed from the get go.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bdavis89
Ford's market plan is "everyone can have one.." Chevrolet is not going that route...it should be interesting..
Though GM is sending it to Europe while the Stang is only in North America. I know it would sell in Australia for sure.

Quick Reply: 100% OFFICIAL NEW CAMARO SPECS