Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Same Engine in 2010?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:57 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
Drunken Llama you need to research the new 2008 Racecraft Mustang. It looks like a regular mustang but has a saleen supercharger on it along with Saleen speedometer. It goes for only 40,000 dollars. Call (843) 571-Ford to Palmetto Ford .
only 40K? haha that's a steal

I dunno.... I think I'm leaning more in the direction of a Shelby GT500, Camaro Z28, or maybe even a BMW M3....
Old 09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

If speed is your goal and you would have been willing to buy a higher hp/higher costing mustang get a GT500 and mod that or put money into the stang. HP shouldn't be the reason you buy your car. You should buy your car based on something else like looks. HP can be changed easy. There are 10sec modded forced induction 4cylinder cars, so the limit of any car is usually the owner's wallet (that's how it always will be). Don't cry about it if it happens, there are many ways to make a mustang or other car you choose a lot faster (forged internals, forced induction, spray, suspension/chassis parts, weight reduction parts, etc). Good Luck on your future decision.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

But you do realize that there really is no replacement for displacement in the long run?
a 6.2L is and will always remain a beastly engine lol
Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 AM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by A_Drunken_Llama
But you do realize that there really is no replacement for displacement in the long run?
a 6.2L is and will always remain a beastly engine lol
True statement. You must consider the cost though. If the GT gets a 400 HP motor, the price will definately soar. I know the MPG's will be the same, if not better than the current 4/6 but that has nothing to do with displacement. I guess we will have to wait & see.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Jeezus, why don't they try to compete for a change. The Camara is getting a 6.2L 420hp engine, the Challenger is getting a 380 hp 5.7 L engine, and the mustang will have a 4.6L 320 hp engine. Just remember, the Chevy and Dodge boys do mods too. Their power will just go up from the already incredibly high starting numbers. It's very easy and cost far less to drop a "cam" in those push rod engines!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GerRod
Jeezus, why don't they try to compete for a change. The Camara is getting a 6.2L 420hp engine, the Challenger is getting a 380 hp 5.7 L engine, and the mustang will have a 4.6L 320 hp engine. Just remember, the Chevy and Dodge boys do mods too. Their power will just go up from the already incredibly high starting numbers. It's very easy and cost far less to drop a "cam" in those push rod engines!

But their car MSRP's are also STR-8 challenger is an easy $15k-$20k(and slower R/T is $10k more) and who knows how much more the camaro will be then the mustang gt (I'd say $20-$25k is a good guess). So that leaves them $15k-$20k in the hole which you could spend on forged internals, suspension, turbocharger, tune, and other stuff for a gt. Then you can tell them to shove the 6.2 liter up their asses. Point is, money=power. Not engine size, as obvious with the 03-04 cobra which is only 4.6 liters yet many people have pushed over 700rwhp on them. And if the engine size is a problem for you, get a 5.4 liter GT500. It's not huge but obviously gets the job done really well with little money into it.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trmachuno
But their car MSRP's are also STR-8 challenger is an easy $15k-$20k(and slower R/T is $10k more) and who knows how much more the camaro will be then the mustang gt (I'd say $20-$25k is a good guess). So that leaves them $15k-$20k in the hole which you could spend on forged internals, suspension, turbocharger, tune, and other stuff for a gt. Then you can tell them to shove the 6.2 liter up their asses. Point is, money=power. Not engine size, as obvious with the 03-04 cobra which is only 4.6 liters yet many people have pushed over 700rwhp on them. And if the engine size is a problem for you, get a 5.4 liter GT500. It's not huge but obviously gets the job done really well with little money into it.
First of all, I don't want to work on my car to have it compete with a bone stock one in my class. It'll be nice to buy one already fast! In regards to the pricing, sure they will be more initially, but at the end of the day with the price of gas and the downturn in the economy, prices will equalize. Hell, you can buy a C6 Corvette here for $42k to $43k.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

So you don't consider a stock GT now fast? I think a high-mid 13 sec car is plenty of speed for the average speed junkie who doesn't want to modify his car. And with a cai/tune that costs less than $700 and is simple to install will put you into the high 12's/low 13's. If you really need more speed than that and don't race, you have serious problems. Most V8 sports cars on the road are overkill for speed now a days anyway. I've seen people get into trouble and run 10's and 11's in the S197 V6 model so what does that tell you about the V8? I think you just have an engine displacement problem, but what most idiots don't realize is bigger engine=more weight so it is wiser to make a more efficient 4.6/3V or say more efficient 4.6/4V or a 5.0/3V than throwing in a 5.7/2V or 6.2/2V like GM which the engine needs to make probably an extra 20-30hp than a similar 4.6 mustang just to compensate for the extra weight.

Pricier car in same class of cars usually means more power/more options. That's how it goes. And if that is really your problem and everyone else's problem they should have bought the GT500 and future GT500 not the future GT. It costs the extra $15k-$20k more than the GT (which is the price range of the cars we are talking about), has a 5.4 liter supercharged engine, runs mid 12's stock, and can be made a lot faster than the pushrods your talking about for less money.GT500 can hit 11's for about $1k or less, 10's for about $3k or most likely less, and the list continues. That's your answer, stop worrying about the GT model if you want lots of power and put your money where your mouth is obviously and buy the GT500. End of Rant and end of discussion.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

totally agree^^. The only thing that we want from the mustang though, is a little more power. I personally think its fast, but I wanna smack 350z owners when the come up to me and say their car has 300hp just like my big v8. With at least 350hp, it looks better for buyers. If somebody is shopping for a either a mustang, camaro, challenger, etc. They will look at the base horsepower of the car, and 300hp wont impress. I really really hope they bump the hp.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

All valid points here but I do wanna point out that the Camaro for example is not gonne be 15 to 20 K more than the Mustang.... they say the 6.2L 422 HP V8 is gonna be about 37 K fully equipped.... last time I checked that's just slightly more than a fully euipped Mustang GT is running for these days.... and it has 122 more horses and much more potential.... and I'm sorry to say this since I love Mustangs but the new Camaro looks like a sexy beast

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Same Engine in 2010?