Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

What a disappointment-- I'm sticking with my 06 GT.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default What a disappointment-- I'm sticking with my 06 GT.

After all the rumors about new GT coming out with close-to-400hp 5.0 that I've been hearing a lot of I finally found out what the new GT is coming out with. THE ALL NEW...........4.6 LOL. What ford did is they modified the intake and it is now going to be feeding air from the grille instead of fender well. That gave us an amazing total of 15hp. That's right. 5 years to make this car produce 315hp versus 300 in 05. I don't know if Ford is realizing that we are now having difficulties beating family sedans such as G35 that is not even supposed to be fast. Whatever it is, I'm sticking with my 06 GT that I'm so in love with because 2010 just sounds like a big fat joke. It's probably gonna be 200lbs heavier too.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I think most s197 owners will stick with their current cars, becuase in my opinion the 2010 Mustang is not that much improved in any aspect of the car. We will see what happens but I think Ford made a big mistake with the new car considering what all other auto makers are offering in the same category.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

Im not to wild on the new interior ethier.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 AM
proper
2nd Gear Member

I think the interior is great more redefined and just generally better compared to the 05-09's. As far as the weight its only i believe 35lbs more heavier which still gives it a weight advantage over its competitors. But i am still kinda disapointed in the power tho but hey its still plenty fast but i agree it could be faster maybe to have at least maybe 350.. a little more ooomph but oh well, i'll keep saving my $ and hope they have some special editions with the 5.0, i should be able to afford it ahah
Old 11-21-2008, 03:51 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by olvanish
After all the rumors about new GT coming out with close-to-400hp 5.0 that I've been hearing a lot of I finally found out what the new GT is coming out with. THE ALL NEW...........4.6 LOL. What ford did is they modified the intake and it is now going to be feeding air from the grille instead of fender well. That gave us an amazing total of 15hp. That's right. 5 years to make this car produce 315hp versus 300 in 05. I don't know if Ford is realizing that we are now having difficulties beating family sedans such as G35 that is not even supposed to be fast. Whatever it is, I'm sticking with my 06 GT that I'm so in love with because 2010 just sounds like a big fat joke. It's probably gonna be 200lbs heavier too.
We know, we know. Your '06 is better than the new '10. Anyone who thought Ford would drop a 400hp 5.0 in the new GT is naive. Ford has never been about matching or surpassing the competition in power. They have a clear idea about the Mustang's direction. Obviously, they are doing something right if the Mustang has remained in the market since it's introduction some 45 years ago. Can't say the same for the competition. It's also the highest-selling sports car and convertible in America.

If you want a 400hp Mustang, either build yours up or buy a 2010 and opt for the factory-optioned supercharger they are now offering for the GT. If you want a 5.0, go buy a Fox-body or an early SN-95. And thanks for starting the 1 millionth topic about this. The board isn't cluttered enough.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:04 AM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99RedStang
We know, we know. Your '06 is better than the new '10. Anyone who thought Ford would drop a 400hp 5.0 in the new GT is naive. Ford has never been about matching or surpassing the competition in power. They have a clear idea about the Mustang's direction. Obviously, they are doing something right if the Mustang has remained in the market since it's introduction some 45 years ago. Can't say the same for the competition. It's also the highest-selling sports car and convertible in America.

If you want a 400hp Mustang, either build yours up or buy a 2010 and opt for the factory-optioned supercharger they are now offering for the GT. If you want a 5.0, go buy a Fox-body or an early SN-95. And thanks for starting the 1 millionth topic about this. The board isn't cluttered enough.
+1,000,000
I loved the S197 since I first saw the concept car, but I will be trading in my '05 for a 2010. I'd trade my car for the interior alone!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

"One important thing that hasn't changed much is weight. The 2010 V6 Mustang only picks up 15 lbs compared to the 2009 model, while the GT climbs just 35 lbs. That means Mustangs still have an advantage of about 400-500 lbs over the new Camaro and even more compared to the larger Challenger."

The new Mustang IS available with 400 or 500 hp. It's called "Order the Power Package!"
And have you looked at the price of all those "family sedans" that can beat a Mustang? $10,000 in power-adders for a 2010 Mustang and you'll be under the sticker on almost all those imports you fear!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

The way things are going at Ford, GM and Chrysler we may all be keeping our pre-2010 American made cars!!!! I own my 07 GT and was planning on a 2010 GT but I’m going to pass.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

The interior is sweet but i personaly dont really like the front but espacially the rear of the car. Lets face it,the s197 was/ is a great looking car and it is hard to improve on this. Ford did say they have another mustang "chapter" for the auto show in january so who knows what that will be.
The last thing i have to say about this is about EVERYONE SAYING "JUST ADD THE FACTORY SUPERCHARGER IF YOU WANT MORE HP" and the comparo to the camaro/challanger.The way i look at it, thats like comparing apples to oranges. A boosted ford compared to n/a in the dodge and chevy.You would have to spend alot of money and effort to even think of matching the hp capibility of a boosted hemi or Ls(just bolt on with no internels needed) motor with the 4.6.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Pnkhead
Im not to wild on the new interior ethier.
+1 on the interior!

Quick Reply: What a disappointment-- I'm sticking with my 06 GT.