Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Why doesnt the 2010 Mustang have more power? I have an idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

if they would bring over some of the cars they sell in europe, like the euro focus and the Ka, i think it would help out alot and not cost them too much

of course, i have no idea how much it costs to convert an suv factory to make small cars
Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MartyVice
custom buliding would not work in todays world.

Today everything is done by machine and having to tailor to every different option for every different Mustang built would cost way to much.
You can custom order your Mustang right now. You don't have to buy a car off the dealer lot as is.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 11-24-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

everyone wants customization for there mustang from ford but dont we have a thousand different companies offering unique parts already. why should ford fight for a spot in an already crowded market in the financial situation that there in. if we want more power there are thousands of options to choose from.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

so, after i posted yesterday on the front page about the possibilities of a higher performance full production mustang, autoblog posted this today..http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/f...ry-in-detroit/

check out the second paragraph..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I'm not sure they are in a position to try to sell large numbers of 400 hp cars.
And I'm not sure Americans are in a position to afford the price of this car. How many people who want more power in a Mustang are actually financially able to purchase a new car that would probably cost around $35,000 (2010 GT Premium is $30,095)?

Ford is begging money from the govt. (that's you and I), and this is what their plan is? Using old, gas guzzling engines in cars that will sell in small numbers?

The lack of innovation is why the Big Three are failing. Well, that and the fact we pay the CEO's millions of dollars to fly private jets while their companies lose BILLIONS.
Wouldn't a modern, direct injection engine, like the Eco-boost, (or even one of those clean diesel engines with their massive torque) be more innovative?

Personally, I'd like to see Ford custom build Mustangs like a new Boss or Mach I, but make the customer order the cars. Building lots of 400 hp Mustangs and hoping they will sell isn't going to work in the current market. Offering us the choice of engines and suspension packages will allow us to tailor the cars to our needs.

I normally agree with your posts however, this one I don't fully agree with. Yes, 35K for a Mustang is expensive and in this economy I don't see many people running to the bank to finance a 35K car loan... In any event -

Ford and GM cannot compete for two major reasons. First, it is their inability to judge changing consumer demand. They are building trucks when small cars and hybrids are selling. That has nothing really to do with innovation, it is just poor management. Second, it is an anti-competitive cost structure, which is largely the result of the labor unions. Toyota does not have these unions so guess what? More money goes into research, innovation, and marketing with the end result being that Toyota sells more cars.

One-off or custom built mustangs will only add to Fords existing cost structure. Think about all of the infrastructure, human capital, and inventory they would need to build custom cars. Even if Ford implemented this, what would people be willing to spend on one of these cars? I am sure that it is more than you or I would be willing to spend for a Mustang... Small batch runs are be different story, and they did this successfully with the GT500 but, a GT500 is not custom by any means.

Innovation! I honestly feel that Ford is probably one of the most innovative car companies at this time but, it does not necessary mean car sales. You have to win over the consumer first and make them believe in the product. Rome was not built in a day. Anyway, think of all of the recent things they have brought to the marketplace: Microsoft Sync, They were the first company to bring back the Retro Muscle Car (which both GM and Dodge copied after they saw the success), Ford was one of the first to have a hybrid SUV, and the Ford Fusion is an awesome car as the new 2010 Hybrid will get more MPG than the Camry (it also looks a hell of a lot better). The list goes on and on....

Also, the private jet comment is way overplayed. It is really not that expensive to fly a private jet anymore with fractional ownership / rental costs and all. What do people want the CEO's to do? Take a taxi? I am sure that all of these CEO's have better things to do than wait in line at at airport all day.

Sorry - had to get this off my chest lol.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
if they would bring over some of the cars they sell in europe, like the euro focus and the Ka, i think it would help out alot and not cost them too much

of course, i have no idea how much it costs to convert an suv factory to make small cars
That is going to be done... In 2010 there will only be one Ford Focus platform.. basically the US version will end and the Euro Focus will be brought to the US. Too bad we dont get the Cosworth,

There is a better article but this is the first one that popped up:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06...ift-added-now/
Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

I remeber watching Ford's CEO on Bloomberg about a month ago saying that they were going to start focusing on smaller cars rather than their trucks...that'd be the day.

- Deadbeat
Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deadbeat
I remeber watching Ford's CEO on Bloomberg about a month ago saying that they were going to start focusing on smaller cars rather than their trucks...that'd be the day.

- Deadbeat
Yeah, I really don't believe that one either. The trucks are so much more profitable for them.. Plus, with gas falling considerably people might start to reconsider larger vehicles again, at least in the near-term. It is in the $2.00 range at places in California right now.

In any event, lower oil prices might help mustang sales, and might be a good reason to launch a boss or larger edition engine option at this time.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

If Ford does come out with a BOSS 302 or 429, or anything making 400 HP not named Shelby, I'll be buying earlier than expected.

Until then, I'm still saving for 2014 and the 50th anniv editions.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Who knows what Ford(or GM & Chrysler) will be able to do in the near future in regards to hotter versions of their pony cars. Although at the LA auto show I saw the Mustang display this past weekend and there was a 2010 'vert GT on a rotisserie with a ram air hood that looked factory to me, maybe the return of the Mach 1, or a ram air Boss version? Somethings going on at Ford, but I'm pretty sure they're waiting to see what happens with the bailout before anything gets approval IMO. "Batch cars" will never see the light of day in today's car companies, that's what the aftermarket tuner is for. Ford isn't stupid, having a strong aftermarket means that the way Ford is currently producing the Mustang gives all the little guys a slice of the pie and ensures that the Mustang will have tremendous support long after the car is purchased. Unless you guys(and gals) want an aftermarket with $5000 cylinder heads, meager supercharger/turbo choices and a $2000 exhaust that gives 5bhp, I think we should be thankful to have the choices we have with the kind of car we decided to buy. So you buy a 400-425 bhp "Super Mustang", with a compression so high a rebuild is needed to boost the engine for more oomph, the engine calibrations to get the 400+ hp leave no room for a tune that is worth the $$$ and unless you spend $7-10K to get to 500-600rwhp, where is the economic sense in all of this? A $35K Mustang with 400hp from the factory sounds great, but how much more to get to 500hp? For $35K now, you car make a 500+hp(flywheel figures) with the current car. I'm just saying..................

Quick Reply: Why doesnt the 2010 Mustang have more power? I have an idea...