Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Its On! GT, Challenger, Camaro....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Remember that magazine testers are typically anywhere from 2 to as much as 5 tenths off on the actual capabilities of these cars when put into the hands of guys who have taken the time to learn to drive them properly. Also, alot of mags use identical launch practices for every car they test......rather than just doing whatever's necessary to get the absolute best times out of that particular car. So you should always take magazine 1/4 times with a grain of salt.......real world number with good drivers will typically be faster.

As far as the 2010 GT times.......I would expect the standard model to be probably only 1 to 2 tenths faster than the current GT, at most. Say.....13.3 to 13.4 at best. The 3.73 geared GT's, however, I could see managing 13.1 to 13.2 with some really good driving. Could be wrong I guess. Looks like Ford put more energy into making the upcoming GT's more balanced (better handling, better riding) rather than more brutal. Sounds like we'll have to wait for the new 5.0 for that.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

The 2010 Mustang GT will be right there with it, it has more HP than the current GT and people have gone 13.3 with the current 5 speed stock.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

They are all nice. The Challenger is a good looking car and the camero is hot but IMO the Stang sits at the top. I also prefer the 05-09 style.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Everyone around here likes to bag on the Challenger for some reason. The reality is that it's a driver's race between the R/T and the GT stock for stock. With possibly a *slight* edge going to the R/T. It's extremely close.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Riptide
Everyone around here likes to bag on the Challenger for some reason. The reality is that it's a driver's race between the R/T and the GT stock for stock. With possibly a *slight* edge going to the R/T. It's extremely close.
It's because they do soo little with soo much.
5.7L V8, 370/400, to do a 13.5 1/4 mile?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Who cares? It's a $33,000 car that has a lot of power and weighs a lot.

All that matters is how fast it goes and for how much $$. If the GT wasn't going for such bottom dollar prices right now it'd be closer. MSRP on the two isn't that far off.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 AM
mustangcat

Who cares? It's a $33,000 car that has a lot of power and weighs a lot.

All that matters is how fast it goes and for how much $$. If the GT wasn't going for such bottom dollar prices right now it'd be closer. MSRP on the two isn't that far off.
Uh, enough people to make them unpopular?
For $33,000 & a 5.7L V8 Dodge should have been able to produce a more powerful contender for the muscle car lineup. Yes, they have a sleek look that stays true to the original Charger, but they aren't keeping up with modern demands.

You contradicted yourself, "it has a lot of power and weighs a lot, all that matters is how fast it goe's for how much $$$"
It has power, it has weight, it's not as fast as it could be.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
Uh, enough people to make them unpopular?
What makes you think they are unpopular? It's not like they aren't selling. They just haven't made that many of them yet.
For $33,000 & a 5.7L V8 Dodge should have been able to produce a more powerful contender for the muscle car lineup. Yes, they have a sleek look that stays true to the original Charger, but they aren't keeping up with modern demands.
What are you talking about? They keep up just fine with the GT and if anything might be a bit faster. And for similar MSRP.
It has power, it has weight, it's not as fast as it could be.
I could say the same for any car.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
mustangcat

What makes you think they are unpopular? It's not like they aren't selling. They just haven't made that many of them yet.
What are you talking about? They keep up just fine with the GT and if anything might be a bit faster. And for similar MSRP.

I could say the same for any car.
Look at the muscle car lineup. Whats more popular: Mustang vs. Challenger & Camaro vs. Challenger. Less popular in both fields.
Yes, they might be a bit faster, but for $3000+ more and 64 more C.I. they should be a lot faster.

Absolutely, every car could be lighter, more powerful, faster. But this is the muscle car lineup were talking about, every tenth in the 1/4 mile counts.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

I like the looks of the challenger. I may even pick one up in a couple years to complement the GT. It’s a nice toy- fast and can always be made to go faster. In 20 years the 05-09 GT, the challenger, and the Camero are all going to be desired classics. History tells you that Detroit will stop pumping out the Muscle cars soon enough and it will be back to the mediocre muscle cars for a long while.

Quick Reply: Its On! GT, Challenger, Camaro....