Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

'06 V6 upgrade or new 2010GT?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
TGM31401

Question '06 V6 upgrade or new 2010GT?

I am 16 years old, and I got this pony for 9500. blue, manual, 46K on it, but its a 4.0. . . . .
I had the oppurtunity to buy a GT, but not be insured, so I went the legal way. appareantly Traveler's doesn't think a GT is appropriate.
But I have $4K stowed away, and I can decide what to do.
Either not upgrade this V6, let it be 100% stock and buy a newer GT when Im in college?
Or,
Supercharge this 06 V6. I like the 06 design better than the new stangs.

Thanks!!!
-TGM
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

1) Wrong section buddy.
2) You don't need a GT while your 16.
3) Save the money for college, trust me, you'll be happy you did.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
mustangcrazy87
1st Gear Member

I agree. I'm a college student myself and TRUST ME. You will wish you have not spent the money. I have had my V6 for two years now. I love my car very much, but if I had thought a bit more about my money, I would be a lot better of then I am now!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

yeah save your money.. wish i did
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
pdub42
1st Gear Member

+1 on the save your money, I started out with the v6 back when i was in high school now im 22 and just got my gt I love it im glad i waited just wish i wouldnt have spent so much money on the 6 trying to make it quicker. Then i woulda had that money now to pay off more of the car or upgrade the new car.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
JK59GT2000
Banned

save save save save..times are bad bro. trust me when i say this you will be glad you saved your money.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Agree with all of the above. Save your money.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 PM
usnis0922

I dont have much room to talk at 23 but military is a steady salary. GT mustang in high school at 16, your begging for trouble.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I had some stuff for $2k ordered for my car (also a 4.0 V6) and I had to cancel the order...

Save the Money for College. That's what I did. You wont believe how much it helps out. If you have your parents help or go to a community college you can easily get by for a year on $4k. Right now I've spent $1000 in the last six to eight months included in that is a Road Trip that cost a couple hundred, concerts, and other things. Save the money and buy a GT when your out of school.

Get a GT once your really able to afford the thing and are sure you can handle it. I know when I was 16 I dont know if I could've handled a V6, let alone a GT! Plus get that GT badging on your car + 16 years old = Police Magnet... of course any Mustang is but a GT + young person isn't the greatest mix.

If your dieing to have more power then (if you haven't already) do some relatively cheap mods like Dual Exhaust, CAI+Tune, and a couple others. They'll get you the extra power. I'm sure you could get by with a Dual Setup + CAI+Tune for $1k.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Ok I feel compelled to enlighten you before you make a mistake considering I have a lot of parallels with you and i've been through that all as a teenager before. Theres a lot of things you don't seem to be considering.

I'm 20 years old and I financed my 2003 GT myself in September of 2008 when I was 19. I usually wouldn't give out so many specifics but in this case its needed. Up until September I had been working about 11 months making 10 dollars an hour with no benefits and had been stowing away as much as possible. During the summer the asphault industry(which is what I worked in and still do) really takes off so I was working 40+ hours in the summer. I pretty much only ever bought lunch and cigarettes and my parents were housing me. If an expense came up that was appropriate for me to cover I did.

By the end of August I had about $5,000 in savings. I knew exactly what car I wanted(hint hint) so then it was time to get financed. I was denied twice on my loan at the credit union. There were two reasons....A) I wasnt on payroll with my job.....I was simply given a check every two weeks which constituted me as a contract worker....this makes it look like you can be fired at any time they dont like that. B) I had ZERO credit....I didnt have bad credit just no credit record at all.....they also DO NOT like this. And they really don't care how young you are...it seems kinda retarded by in order to earn credit you have to be trusted by somebody but for the most part nobody will trust you with no credit....its very frustrating. After I got on payroll and got a co-signer the bank finally gave in reluctantly and gave me my loan. And I even had a pretty decent downpayment....I was offering $3200 down and was asking for $9000 in the loan. It ended up being a 3 year $8500 loan at about 6% interest.

So I went out and shopped around and found a really nice stang that I liked. It was a 2003 Auto GT with 53,000 miles at the time and they listed it on the site as $12,990. I had zero intentions of paying this price. I got there and at the dealership It was listed at $13,990. I told the salesman that were starting at $12,990 or to go **** himself(not literally of course). So he told me to show him where I found it for 12,990 so I printed the page out right there in front of him and he showed it to his boss. Then we started talking, starting at $12,990 . Long story short the guy refused to let me walk I talked him all the way down to $11,500.

But its not over yet.....now you have to pay taxes and tags fees. That ended up being another $300-$500 dollars that day(don't recall exactly).

And now the REAL zinger for you.......INSURANCE TIME! OH BOY! I got my license when I turned 18, had one wreck that I wasnt ticketed on and I had 1 minor speeding ticket. Cheapest I could find? 300 DOLLARS A MONTH. Worse case I found at that time? FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY A MONTH. And that was when I was 19. You do the math, what do you think yours will be . My payment has since dropped to 234 a month and I am with Nationwide insurance FYI.

Loan payment=$273 a month for the next three years
Insurance payment=$234 a month, was $300.
$3,200 Down payment
$500 dollars in taxes and tags
+whatever other expenses you have

Now how you gonna pay for school?........Yep....thats my point.

So the bottom line is....you're really in no position to do this right now bud. I know how bad you want it but it will be that much better when you're ready for this. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 V6 upgrade or new 2010GT?