Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Toyota buying American........

Old 06-23-2005, 06:28 AM
2001 GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Toyota buying American........

Thing is, nothing is made in America anymore. We're not the manufactuaring nation we once were. Most of us are typing this over our foreign made computer, wearing clothes made in india, sitting on a foreign made chair, surrounded by a house made out of foreign wood, carpeting ,rugs, linens, tile, flooring, and filled with tv's, phones, appliances, cellies, toys, and pretty much everything else foreign made.

The american consumer wants everything at the lowest price no matter what. Retail is so competive the the home depots and walmarts of the world will go to great lengths to get the cheapest product possible.

I think this doesn't effect the auto industry as much, plus many american cars have the majority of their parts build outside of this country anyway. I think the american auto industry can compete more favorabley then other sectors though because so many of the foriegn cars are built right here. That means a company like hyundai or toyota pretty much voluntary took away its possible labor/cost advantage to become more american and sell it as such. There succesful mainly because of design and quality, not some huge cost or wage difference like other sectors (though union agreements are currently hurting GM). Its much easier for GM to improve design and quality then it is to compete price wise if they had to compete versus south korean or chinese labor expenses.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

harley isn't made in america, nothing is. things that are "made in america" are only built/assembled in america.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM

I beg to differ... Honda cars, Toyota cars and Hyundai cars roll off assembly lines on American soil. More Imports are built here than domestic cars. Which is why I laugh when I see someone to tell me to buy an American car.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:14 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

pffft.. have you seen armageddon? "American components, Russian compoonents. ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!"
Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

For people that have said that nothing is made in America anymore, check out this sites:

www.buyamerican.com
www.usstuff.com
www.unionjeancompany.com
www.pointerbrand.com

These are only a few sites but there are more products being made and sold in America by Americans.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

hehe, since this is a mustang site, i just thought i'd mention that all steeda parts are made in america, all bassani parts are made in america, all SLP parts are made in america, the list goes on... Sure I have no idea where their manufacturing equipment or supplies come from. But i'm confident that their performance parts are made here.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 AM
COJONES
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

ORIGINAL: COJONES

i hate toyota, reasons why

1.what does toyota make thats fast? supra? well look up the new supra, looks like crap and isnt that great from what ive heard.

2. buddy of mine was sittin at a light and a toyota tacoma hit him, ruined the front end of buddys car

3. corolla, the last car id ever want to own

4. they make cars like the matrix, the echo, i mean come on, i dont mind people who like cars that get good gas milage but these cars are just ugly
Seems you hate a car company based solely on the exterior styling of their product line... Looks are subjective, Diversity is key. Next you're taking a general stab at the automotive industry and continually looking at all cars for the same thing; speed. Not everything is built for speed, not everybody wants or can afford to own something like a Supra or a Mustang GT/SVT.

oh and you should probably hate the moron that rearended your friend, not the vehicle that he was SUPPOSED to be in control of. I can't believe you'd hate a car company and a certain vehicle because some numb nuts moron hit your friend.

well my post was more of a joke than seriousness, i dont really like toyota that much, but i dont believe the best cars are the fast ones, i love all kinds of cars, i was merely posting that so my friend would read it and get a kick outta it
Old 06-24-2005, 02:45 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

If GM is ever about to go under and their stock drops like hell, you should buy, cause the gov't will never let a co. like GM go down in flames. They rescued chyrsler from death before, and they would need to do the same for GM, or the whole economy would go to hell. And seriously, toyotas are gay *** cars, I don't care if they are reliable by reputation. Anybody who buys a corolla is a lame *** with no flair for life, or a woman who doesn't like cars. My bicycle is way more reliable with similar horsepower. Don't even get me started on how reliable my nikes are. And btw, the best cars ARE the fast ones. A golf cart will get you around town as well as a toyota. Cars are not supposed to be reliable and slow, buses do that. Cars are supposed to be cool and make your heart beat faster, cause that's the american way. And anyone who works for the japanese will tell you that their quality is all reputation, not reality. Actually the japanese would tell you that if it wasn't such a closely guarded secret. It's a little known fact that if a japanese guy admits that their quality is all rep. and not reality, ninjas drop out of the ceiling and f*ck them up.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:33 PM
daleygirl

Well, I can't complain cause I work for a Toyota dealer. We own Jeep, Ford, Olds, Honda & Toyota. Oops, The 92 Toy Pickup blew the engine last week. My kid ran it without oil afew months ago (he changed it himself and apparently forgot do to something) & it finally caught up with the rods (at 180K miles) and I STILL sold it the next day for $750. Something tells me I won't get that for th 92 Olds...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5286/43712552DF054B4096A59A602E324D1E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2005, 03:37 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: daleygirl

Well, I can't complain cause I work for a Toyota dealer. We own Jeep, Ford, Olds, Honda & Toyota. Oops, The 92 Toy Pickup blew the engine last week. My kid ran it without oil afew months ago (he changed it himself and apparently forgot do to something) & it finally caught up with the rods (at 180K miles) and I STILL sold it the next day for $750. Something tells me I won't get that for th 92 Olds...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5286/43712552DF054B4096A59A602E324D1E.jpg[/IMG]

Something tells me that you're right about the Olds. Comparing a truck to a car? That's crazy. A truck has so many more functions then a car, much less a 92 Olds. As a matter of fact, look at prices of new pickups compared to new cars. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing any one person on this forum can do about buyouts, sellouts, companies crumbling, or companies creating monopolies, or even resale value. What's great about this life, is that, even if Toyota were to buy GM, life will go on. Being an auto enthusiast, I would hate to see that happen, even though I don't care for very many GM vehicles. IF it were to happen, you lose one more little bit of diversity. That's what hurts me. Toyotas will start resembling GMs and vice versa. It's sad to things like this happen to any company. When I go to buy a new car, I want there to be thousands of choices, rather then 80 choices... being as there are 10 cars with subtle sheet metal and fiberglass changes from one brand of auto. Regardless, you can bet your hard earned dollar American soil is the greatest soil.
[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=patriot.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota buying American........