Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Shelby is a Demented old man

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

rotm: read the first few lines of page 8 of the complaint. it mentions ENGINES bearing the "trade mark" COBRA. does this mean that if Shelby walks by your car at a show and sees your cobra valve covers on your fox he can sue you? what i fhe sees a "ricer" with a shelby badge or snake badge on his non-shelby s197? can they be sued beacuse the vehicles were not "authorized" to have that badge from the factory?

i have to agree with others. if this goes foreward it is going to generate HUGE negative press for him and his company.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

those things that you are talking about are registered, trademarked items. if you buy a valve cover that says "shelby" on it..or cobra...whoever constructed it had the rights to do so. those badges are also registered items and they are approved...which is why anyone can buy them and put them on their cars.

everyone seems to think that he is talking about you or me modifying our cars to have the shelby name on it...thats not the case at all. this is about other companies who feel that its fine for them to use these names to "make" shelby cars and thats a load of crap. you could buy every shelby badge ever, and COVER your car with them...and hes not going to care. now, take that same idea, make five cars like that and offer it as the new "simsonfan shelby gr500"...at that point youre trying to profit off of HIS name. the fine print are items that might seem excessive to the average person, but thats not who this is all aimed at...people who are trying to sneak around trademark loopholes to make a buck on someone elses fame ruin it for the rest of us and these lawsuits come out.

these laws (in the case of the shelby name) are to protect his interests from hacks who make low price, poor quality knock offs...think about someone who buys what they THINK is an older shelby car only to find out that it was a very very good knock off...but you paid shelby price. thats why its happening.

the ford lawsuits are nothing like that though.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
sandmountainslim

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
those things that you are talking about are registered, trademarked items. if you buy a valve cover that says "shelby" on it..or cobra...whoever constructed it had the rights to do so. those badges are also registered items and they are approved...which is why anyone can buy them and put them on their cars.

everyone seems to think that he is talking about you or me modifying our cars to have the shelby name on it...thats not the case at all. this is about other companies who feel that its fine for them to use these names to "make" shelby cars and thats a load of crap. you could buy every shelby badge ever, and COVER your car with them...and hes not going to care.

Amen!
The man is just protecting his property rights from interloping con artists and their is nothin wrong with that.
Wp
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

ROTM I understand that issue and he has every right to sue people making profit off his name, my only concern was him suing the forums which has been established for years, I dono just a bad taste in my mouth if he was suing for same reasons ford sued the ranger forums I would be ok that was abusing the logo and giving it a bad name.

I dono dumb laws.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

the point for suing the forums, though, is because they were talking about/planning to make unauthorized 'replicas' with the cobra name. in some cases, i feel the same way you do, but think about it from his point of view; do you want people making cheap knockoffs of something you worked your entire life developing? those people could profit (potentially significantly) from something that shelby essentially 'created', and he won't get credit for it.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Word.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by marktoyota
Hello,

if you are looking for auto parts then you have to visit theautopartsshop.com, you will find all your need.

----------
Buy Low Price Ford Explorer Sport Trac Wheel Hub Assembly, Clutch Kit, Brake Rotor, headlights, Brake Caliper, shock Absorber, Door Mirror, Strut Assembly, Alternator, Exhaust Manifold at theautopartsshop.com

Ford F-350 Super Duty Brake Pad
Ford F-350 Super Duty Oxygen Sensor
Ford F-350 Super Duty Exhaust Muffler
Ford F-350 Super Duty Mount
Ford F-350 Super Duty Clutch Kit
Ford F-350 Super Duty Cylinder Head Gasket
You **** me off more than the whole Shelby subject. How dare you invade my thread I demand BANHAMMER.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

banned.

for what its worth, ive met mr shelby once in person and he was very friendly...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

The banhammer has fallen.

ROTM:
Ya, from what I've seen from interviews he seems like a nice guy. Going over this, it just seems like a bunch of lawyers working for his estate tring to get bonuses.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

The reason he is suing is that as a copyright or patent holder you have to defend said copyright or patent. If her were to "let a few things go" then those who would want to build crappy stuff could do so under the guise that Shelby did not defend his copyright and therefore no longer has it.

I know it stinks that he is suing a forum, but it fall under the copyright and patent laws.

Quick Reply: Shelby is a Demented old man