Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

CA Car Destroyed for Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

There was another thread about this a while back. I really think that destroying people's cars that they've probably put a lot of money and work into is ridiculous. In a way it's breaking the "Freedom of Speech" amendment...
If they are doing this to "street racer" cars then how come they dont do it to EVERY Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Saleen, Aston Martin, Lotus, Corvette, etc.? Because "If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?"
They really have no right to take away anyones car. I could understand if there is are illegal mods and someone is caught using spray while street racing down mainstreet... but if you get pulled over, for example, for not coming to a complete stop and they impound/destroy your car because it's got mods thats not right. How can they prove you've street raced? A lot of people just use there "go factor" at the drag and for car shows... it's actually very evident here in these forums in the Street/Strip Section how a lot of people in there are very against street racing, yet have tons of mods on there cars.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Yes we all know this bro I'm against it I lost 2 friends in high school to it in Houston off Rankin Rd. It just shows how GAY the "great state of California" is getting. I'm sorry to the People that love this state and live here, but 9/10 of the Vehicle laws suck *** out here. I wish I could go back to Hawaii it was great out there.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

MN where I live has practically no vehicle laws on mods (other than anything every state has), the only odd one in MN is that you cant hang anything from a front window (GPS, etc.). I dont think they could ever implement something like that into MN either, too many people drive old beaters here that wouldn't pass emissions.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I can't stand CA car laws, thank god for my great state of Michigan plates. But how can they legally force them to open their hoods, crush their cars or anything else without some sort of proof of illegal actions? Isn't that kind of illegal? Why hasn't anybody taken legal action against these things?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM
force

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
Yes we all know this bro I'm against it I lost 2 friends in high school to it in Houston off Rankin Rd. It just shows how GAY the "great state of California" is getting. I'm sorry to the People that love this state and live here, but 9/10 of the Vehicle laws suck *** out here. I wish I could go back to Hawaii it was great out there.
What? hawaii is a horrible place to be a car enthusiast. no streets with a speed limit above 55, plus if they catch you going a whole 80mph (in michigan where I come from thats normal cruising speed), it's considered wreckless and you'll lose your lisence and possibly your car. And thats IF you can even find a wide open road to go fast on at all, thanks to the crowding. They closed the track down on oahu as well. Big island has a drag strip, but drags are honestly boring.

I just bought a new 370, and while I adore the car, I'm honestly regretting it. All that power and handling and I'm forced to drive it like a corolla.

Matt
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by force
What? hawaii is a horrible place to be a car enthusiast. no streets with a speed limit above 55, plus if they catch you going a whole 80mph (in michigan where I come from thats normal cruising speed), it's considered wreckless and you'll lose your lisence and possibly your car. And thats IF you can even find a wide open road to go fast on at all, thanks to the crowding. They closed the track down on oahu as well. Big island has a drag strip, but drags are honestly boring.

I just bought a new 370, and while I adore the car, I'm honestly regretting it. All that power and handling and I'm forced to drive it like a corolla.

Matt
I didnt know they closed the track on Oahu. The last time was there for more than 2 days was in 03. I didn't know they closed Dancers down that was my hang out. If you think about it though the laws out there for cars are so much more relaxed than CA.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

It really just makes me angry thinking about it and I live 2500 miles away in CT. They really can't do that unless they can prove that you have street raced which usually they can't. And like others said, just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you drive like an idiot and do a buck 20 down every road. F*ck the cops, Im sorry but 75% are idiots. I know they protect us but sometimes they need to get over their badge and remember they are still one of us once that shift is up.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

^^ I agree. I live in Cali and hate the rules they have for cars. I would fight any ticket I get for mods (i have nothing to warrent a ticket but still if I did) that I have. Its like they want everyone to drive a Prius!

Matthew
Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

california laws are gehy... impounding or giving a fine is one thing, but crushing it?!? that's insane

what if you have oh.... lets say a '67 gt500 with some option that makes it very rare (even more rare than they are now) and you have to buy an aftermarket carb. could they still crush it for that?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

It depends where you are here... The valley and inland empire as well as San Diego areas have high rates of street racing and related fatalities. Therefore, theyve adopted low tolerance rules with modified cars.

Where I live, I mostly meet other officers that have cars of their own that they mod and work on, so they can appreciate it.

As far as confiscation, if they have probable cause that you were street racing, they can take your ****.

So dont street race..

Quick Reply: CA Car Destroyed for Mods