Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 Mustang Powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
TorchRed '03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Well I am not the original owner. He bought it new in 2002. From 2002 to 2009 he put 8,997 miles on it. It was mostly in the garage with a cover over it most of her life. Since I've gotten it, I almost have 10k on it now. Been about a month. It was like buying an almost brand new NewEdge in 2009.
Sounds like a great deal. I got a good deal on mine, but it was super high mileage. Still runs like a champ though.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Ronny2010GT
1st Gear Member

Like I said in another thread, I will bet my month's pay that the 5.0 Mustang will not be a GT. It's going to be a special model like maybe (hopefully) the return of the Mach 1. If Ford does this, they will have to bump the price of the GT. That won't go well with the consumer.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 AM
darwin06

Originally Posted by Ronny2010GT
Like I said in another thread, I will bet my month's pay that the 5.0 Mustang will not be a GT. It's going to be a special model like maybe (hopefully) the return of the Mach 1. If Ford does this, they will have to bump the price of the GT. That won't go well with the consumer.
If it does go to a Mach 1 I might be in the market for one. I doubt you will see 400 hp stock, They are not in to win the race, they are in to sell the cars and make a profit. Special models are a small portion of the Market. The v6 and GT need to be cheap and simple. I still love this aftermarket for the mustang, going strong.

Hell, I might want an engine swap for the fun of it.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

There have been multiple posts, and even a full thread on how the 4.6 will be cease production, and, therefore, the 4.6 will not exist in 2011. he also reported that the 5.4 would cease to exist, but we see now that it is just the iron block 5.4, the aluminum 5.4 that the Ford GT used will be the engine in the 2011 GT500. Oh, and there will be 6 speed transmissions all around. 5.0 is the new GT motor. Period. 400 horses, 5.0, 6 speeds. A Ford parts guy found the new engine and 5.0 badges in the 2011 mustang parts catalog, and there was no 4.6 anymore, I believe.

Besides, it would cost a lot more to have production lines for 2 completely different engines. This way they just have to pay for one production line. It is more cost efficient, and what the people want. Win win and a no brainer.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ronny2010GT
1st Gear Member

Multiple posts and a full thread don't prove a thing. Everything is just speculation. For all we know your source is full of it. Taking the 4.6 away will be a stupid move on Ford's part. They can kiss their GT sales goodbye when people see the price go up and the gas mileage drop. Don't get me wrong, a 5.0 400 HP GT would be amazing. However, darwin06 brings a valid point. Ford doesn't build their models to win races, they build them to sell cars. When they do want to build a car to win the race that is when you see your Terminators or Cobra R's or GT500's. Pretty much the entire history of the Mustang has been a base model, GT model, and a performance model for the horsepower junkies. Affordable muscle, that's what Ford is all about.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Multiple posts and a full thread don't prove a thing. Everything is just speculation. For all we know your source is full of it. Taking the 4.6 away will be a stupid move on Ford's part. They can kiss their GT sales goodbye when people see the price go up and the gas mileage drop. Don't get me wrong, a 5.0 400 HP GT would be amazing. However, darwin06 brings a valid point. Ford doesn't build their models to win races, they build them to sell cars. When they do want to build a car to win the race that is when you see your Terminators or Cobra R's or GT500's. Pretty much the entire history of the Mustang has been a base model, GT model, and a performance model for the horsepower junkies. Affordable muscle, that's what Ford is all about.
While Ford has not announced the Coyote officially (discounting the admisson by Ford of Australia Executive that Ford USA would supply it for the next generation Falcon) they have anounced they will discontinue manufacture of the 4.6L at Romeo so exactly where are you planning to get the 4.6L?

The 5.0L Coyote will not be that expensive because it will be the primary V-8 in the F150, SUV's, the next generation Panther (CV, GM, TC) and Falcon (Australia). It will also get better MPG than the current 4.6L and 5.4L engines.

Last edited by Gene K; 06-29-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Agreed. I think one thing ppl keep forgetting is that the 5.0 is slated (according to latest "rumor") to replace all 4.6 duties within Ford's lineup. Becoming a mainstream, multi-platform motor means the costs will be much lower than if it were a specialty performance-only motor produced in limited quantities. Ford is in no shape to produce two V8's to occupy the same segment duties. The 5.0 will replace the 4.6 and some of the 5.4 applications, and the new 6.2 will replace the remainder of the 5.4 duties.

If the Coyote doesn't end up costing significantly more to produce (which it shouldn't) and turns out to be as capable as we've been hearing.....it WILL be the smartest move Ford has made since they dropped the old 5.0 back in 96.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 AM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

Like others said, the 4.6 will no longer be produced, so unless Ford has 100k sitting on the shelf to keep putting in the gt, it will no longer be in the gt. The 5.0 will and trust me, I bet you anything it will get better mpg than the 4.6. It would only make sense with the technology and fact that our retard Pres. thinks everything should get 50 mpg by next year.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Ronny2010GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
While Ford has not announced the Coyote officially (discounting the admisson by Ford of Australia Executive that Ford USA would supply it for the next generation Falcon) they have anounced they will discontinue manufacture of the 4.6L at Romeo so exactly where are you planning to get the 4.6L?
I'd like to see the press release where Ford announces this.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I'd like to see the press release where Ford announces this.
Someone's mad they bought a 2010 :P

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Powertrain