Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Motortrend puts the 2010 Camaro up against a GT500

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Motortrend puts the 2010 Camaro up against a GT500

Interesting read. Lets see what you all think.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Their point is correct why does Ford have to cost so damn much? Yeah the Shelby out ran the Chevy but without the supercharger who knows. I'm a Ford fan don't get me wrong but when is Ford just going to build a natural engine with some natural torque? I drove the Camaro the other day I thought the car ran great and for about the same money you can buy a Ford Mustang GT that runs slower. Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Charleston South Carolina will put you in a Camaro for forty thousand dollars. The sticker price is 34.000 so their is a mark up of 6.000 dollars. Now down the street at Palmetto Ford I can look at a Racecraft Mustang with a 4.6 3v with a saleen supercharger and they want 52.000 are you kidding me????? You can go to Rivers Avenue and visit Jones Ford and they will try to sell you a roush III for 52 thousand for their edition of the 4.6 3v supercharged engine. Also if you opt you can buy that new ugly *** S-197 for 35.000 just five thousand dollars less then the SS Camaro. You know I like modifying my car but now were not exactly at times were it should be the priority and what I'm saying is Ford needs to make a mustang with at least 400 horsepower without the hyped limited editions and sell it for a price that is compatible with the SS , end of subject.

Last edited by Daniel60; 07-15-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Daniel60
Their point is correct why does Ford have to cost so damn much? Yeah the Shelby out ran the Chevy but without the supercharger who knows. I'm a Ford fan don't get me wrong but when is Ford just going to build a natural engine with some natural torque? I drove the Camaro the other day I thought the car ran great and for about the same money you can buy a Ford Mustang GT that runs slower. Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Charleston South Carolina will put you in a Camaro for forty thousand dollars. The sticker price is 34.000 so their is a mark up of 6.000 dollars. Now down the street at Palmetto Ford I can look at a Racecraft Mustang with a 4.6 3v with a saleen supercharger and they want 52.000 are you kidding me????? You can go to Rivers Avenue and visit Jones Ford and they will try to sell you a roush III for 52 thousand for their edition of the 4.6 3v supercharged engine. Also if you opt you can buy that new ugly *** S-197 for 35.000 just five thousand dollars less then the SS Camaro. You know I like modifying my car but now were not exactly at times were it should be the priority and what I'm saying is Ford needs to make a mustang with at least 400 horsepower without the hyped limited editions and sell it for a price that is compatible with the SS , end of subject.
Well, the GT500 without the blower is a Cobra R....and well...380hp is probably enough to be neck and neck with the Camaro.(If you take off all the added weight of the blower/intercooler/etc.)

I agree though. If Ford comes up short with the 5.0 Coyote (That natural engine your hoping for) then I might end up losing faith in the blue oval.

I'm sick of the pricing jumping from affordable GT, to unfordable Shelby, Saleen or Roush. We need a middle ground. $30,000 - $35,000.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would still have the Mustang over the camaro anyday.

There will always be one thing the Cheby will never be able to tout...40+ years of uniterrupted heritage. With the way Government Motors is going, I doubt the new camaro will be around for more than one model season. (3-5 years).

They guy driving the Mustang didn't know how to drive it. Considering an 08 GT500 matches those 1/4mile times and the 10's mustangs Figure 8 and Lateral accelation were better than the camaro's, the mustangs suspension and tires were fine. I'm thinkin they overinflated the tires to get loss of traction on the GT.

That, and look at the speeds/time chart. I fail to see how above 100 the Camaro reels in almost all of the 0.8 seconds it's lost to 100 to put it 1 tenth behind the mustang yet the story itself says that after 60 the mustangs top end shows....their story doesn't jive or their driver sucks and shifted before the end.

Just another example why I don't consider Motor Trend a leader in automotive reporting. Too subjective and half the time they don't know what they're doing.

Last edited by Derf00; 07-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Ok, here's how the figures stack up:

Base Mustang GT starts at $28,845 with 315 HP and 13.5 quarter mile time.

Base Chevy Camaro SS starts at $30,245 with 426 HP and 13.0 quarter mile time.

Base Mustang GT500 starts at $47,175 with 500 HP with 540 HP and 12.8 quarter mile time.

Base Chevy Corvette ZR1 starts at $105,670 with 638 HP and 11.2 quarter mile time.

So, which one looks the most out of place, price wise? For sure the Corvette. The quarter mile times were general searches on the internet and are basically accurate. So, the corvette blows away all others but is it worth $58,000 more than the Mustang GT500? You could buy 2 GT500s for that price. How about a base Mustang GT? You could buy 4 Mustang GTs ($115,000) for basically the price of one Corvette ZR1. So, the American car makers are pricing the cars according to speed, not features and overall quality. The Camaro, for an extra 111 HP is not a better buy. Especially since the Mustang is a roomier/nicer drive. I'll stick with Mustangs. Best car for the money and in my opinion the best looking exterior and interior car overall.

Last edited by Mustangmaster; 07-15-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Mustangcat,

I went to Ford's web site yesterday to build a Premium V6, not a V8. I clicked almost all the bells and whistles I could get. Mainly the glass roof (pissed me off I could only click charcoal interior for the glass roof), the navigation system and the rear camera and the total was over $31,000. That's such a shame.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Ok, here's how the figures stack up:

Base Mustang GT starts at $28,845 with 315 HP and 13.8 quarter mile time.

Base Chevy Camaro SS starts at $30,245 with 426 HP and 13.62 quarter mile time.

Base Mustang GT500 starts at $47,175 with 500 HP with 540 HP and 12.9 quarter mile time.

Base Chevy Corvette ZR1 starts at $105,670 with 638 HP and 11.2 quarter mile time.

So, which one looks the most out of place, price wise? For sure the Corvette. The quarter mile times were general searches on the internet and are basically accurate. So, the corvette blows away all others but is it worth $58,000 more than the Mustang GT500? You could buy 2 GT500s for that price. How about a base Mustang GT? You could buy 4 Mustang GTs ($115,000) for basically the price of one Corvette ZR1. So, the American car makers are pricing the cars according to speed, not features and overall quality. The Camaro, for an extra 111 HP is not a better buy. Especially since the Mustang is a roomier/nicer drive. I'll stick with Mustangs. Best car for the money and in my opinion the best looking exterior and interior car overall.
LOL where are those 1/4 mile times from? Those drivers can't drive for crap.

The GT should be 13.5, the SS should be 13.0, the GT500 should be 12.8, and the ZR1 is about right.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Ford should look towards other car company models like, I hate to say it, but Hyundai. They are offering cheaper cars with more power. Ford needs to offer a base GT at a lower price. If they want people to compete with Camaro's then it needs to happen. I'd still rather have a Ford than a Chevy any day. If I were given a Corvette, I'd sell it and buy something else just out of principle but there's a story behind that
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Ok, Mustangcat, I'll change the figures to yours. I just searched those basic figures. What I was stressing was the speed increase goes along with the price.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

The GT needs to be compared to the Camaro SS, not the GT500. The GT500 should go against the 556 hp supercharged Camaro Z28 if it ever goes production.

Quick Reply: Motortrend puts the 2010 Camaro up against a GT500