Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Problems with acceleration any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
haloinreverse

Unhappy Problems with acceleration any advice?

I have a 2008 mustang v6 coupe (manual). Bought it brand new off the lot, it was a left over. I Only 6000 miles on it now. At 5000 miles I brought it for the first oil change, and decided to go full synthetic.

The Car now does not drive right. When I first bought it, from a complete stop in first gear it would just take off like a bat out of hell.

Now its very sluggish up until about 3000 rpms. Like its hesitating up until then, and then finally picks up, and my foot is all the way down on the gas.

I brought it into the dealership and they don't see anything wrong with it, nor do any codes show up on the computer. They can't tell the difference because they have nothing to compare it to, and no longer have any 08 or 09 v6's left. I can obviously tell the difference because I've been driving it, its like night and day.

Any advice on what this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated. I'm extremely frustrated now.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Who did the oil change? You may want to go to a reputable dealer or shop to have it checked. Make sure that whoever did your last change didn't do something crazy.......like leave the old oil in while adding the new. I have a buddy with a 95 GT that this happened to........he had over 11 quarts of oil in his motor when he left the shop that did the oil change.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM
haloinreverse

Thanks for the reply man, I watched the guy do the oil change though. He definitely empty out what was in there.

I can't figure out what this could be. It's really upsetting cause this car is brand new. Any other possibilties as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated though.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Don't know what to tell ya man. Sounds like they didn't do anything that should be causing a problem. Maybe check the oil to make sure they didn't put something out of the ordinary in your car, or check your air filter and/or MAF to see if it got dirty......somehow. I just can't figure out what could happen during an oil change that would result in what you're describing. Truly baffling.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Dirty air filter maybe? Wrong oil weight? Dunno. But for future reference, you want to use this forum for all S197 questions.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2010-mustangs-43/
Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Get a CAI from brenspeed and buy the sct2 and refresh your tune periodically.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Dirty air filter maybe? Wrong oil weight? Dunno. But for future reference, you want to use this forum for all S197 questions.

Yeah sorry about that man, I noticed I posted in the wrong section afterwards. My ADD is horrible. Hehehehe I'll check out the airfilter though, good idea.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM
haloinreverse

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony

Checked the air filter today, a buddy at work suggested that so I check it after work. Clean as a whistle, no clogs, nothing.

My uncle has been a mechanic for over 30 years he suggested I have the dealership change the fuel filter.

These dealership techs are boneheads I must say. They simply plug it into the computer and if a code doesn't show up they just say sorry we find nothing wrong with it. Like button pushing monkeys. A good mechanic would, like a doctor, see a symptom and create a list of possibilities. Go through each possibility ruling them out through the scientific method. Instead these guys just say "oh your coughing blood you say? Well Your not doing it now, I don't see anything wrong, off you go". Its quite pathetic, its as if they don't want to be bothered with thinking or just don't want to be bothered.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Clogged fuel filter could definitely be a possibility. Unusual that it only acted up after the oil change, but who knows. Definitely try to get a reputable dealer or shop to look into it.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 AM
haloinreverse

Unhappy

Alright so I went to the dealer near me last week. No code came up so they said sorry nothing is wrong with your car.

I took it to the dealer I bought it from an hour and a half away. They changed the oil and ran it through the computer no code came up, same thing, sorry no code came up there is nothing wrong with your car.

I'm going to have the fuel filter changed (slim possibility that is what is what is wrong since the car is brand new) but I'll give it a shot. Also, I'll try running some fuel injection cleaner through it.

Already pulled the battery for 20 minutes and did the reset, no difference.

After the fuel filter change and cleaning the fuel injectors my only other option is to call Ford customer service and tell them my problem.

I've wanted a Mustang since I was about 11 years old. My cousin was restoring a late 60's Mach 1. I saw that and just fell in love.

I bought an 06 used from a dealership and found out it was in an accident ($6000 worth of damage, found the receipt tucked in the manual 4 days after I bought it). Then bought this car. I'm completely frustrated now and ready to blow a freakin gasket (I've already wrapped duct tape around my head to prevent explosion). So..... we'll see what happens. Thank you all for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it. My gut tells me though, that I'm fu*!ked on this one. Hopefully Ford will help me out, since the dealerships seem to be pretty much useless.

Quick Reply: Problems with acceleration any advice?