Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Cougar Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Default Cougar Question

I'll be purchasing a 2011 GT, and I've been wondering.

Since the front wheel drive cougar (which was actually a very good sport compact, even though it was a rebodied Ford Mondeo) was discontinued early this century, there's been no big cat offering from Mercury. The Mustang and Cougar were at one time close to twins...has anybody ever considered some kind of aftermarket Cougar conversion for the new Mustangs? A similar thing is being done with the new Camaro...an aftermarket company is making replacement front end/rear end, and a few interior decoration details, to turn it into a Trans-Am.

I think a Cougar edition of the Mustang would be pretty cool, and I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen something like it already. I'm a big fan of the old Cougars (not to mention the animal...beautiful animal!). Somebody should do it!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

The idea of an S197 based Cougar has been talked about on boards like this one since they first appeared on the market in late 04. Personally, I'd like to see a more upscale version of the S197 GT (with appropriate body style changes and perhaps a proper IRS) badged as the new Cougar. Maybe it could even be ecoboost powered? Unfortunately, I don't think there would be much of a market for it.....and Ford probably knows this. It'd be awesome for sure, but I don't know if I could make a good case for it to the beancounters. I think we'll see the Cougar return one day, but who knows when that will be and what kind of car it will be.

As far as an aftermarket conversion for the existing Mustang........I certainly haven't heard of anything. I don't know if there's much in the way of replacement body fittings that could effectively give the current Mustang that old school Cougar look. And if there is a way, apparently no one has bothered to do it....yet.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
The idea of an S197 based Cougar has been talked about on boards like this one since they first appeared on the market in late 04. Personally, I'd like to see a more upscale version of the S197 GT (with appropriate body style changes and perhaps a proper IRS) badged as the new Cougar. Maybe it could even be ecoboost powered? Unfortunately, I don't think there would be much of a market for it.....and Ford probably knows this. It'd be awesome for sure, but I don't know if I could make a good case for it to the beancounters. I think we'll see the Cougar return one day, but who knows when that will be and what kind of car it will be.

As far as an aftermarket conversion for the existing Mustang........I certainly haven't heard of anything. I don't know if there's much in the way of replacement body fittings that could effectively give the current Mustang that old school Cougar look. And if there is a way, apparently no one has bothered to do it....yet.
I would absolutely love to see a Cougar Mercury that rode on the current Mustang platform and used only ecoboost engines. The 230+hp 4 cylinder as base, and the 365hp 6 as the XR-7. Give it a slightly "classier" (non-retro themed) interior, the same great ride/handling suspension compromise, and maybe the IRS that was originally planned for the platform, sell it for a couple $k more. Give it smoother lines, fitting with the current merc line-up....I'd have trouble choosing between that and a Mustang!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I agree. A more subtle styled Mustang with a top notch interior and modern suspension out back. It would probably sell....better than I'm letting on. But good luck telling the Ford money guys that. Funny too, considering they make Mercury versions of most of the Ford car lineup. But I know alot of ppl who would like to own something like the Mustang.....but don't like the idea of owning a "cheap musclecar". Something like the Cougar would open up that segment of the market pretty well IMO. But at the end of the day it'd still be a low volume seller........kind of like the Marauder was. Maybe in a few years, when sales are up and the doom and gloom is over, we'll see Ford develop the brass to build a Cougar like this. They do seem to be taking bolder steps these last few years than they did in the past. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I agree. A more subtle styled Mustang with a top notch interior and modern suspension out back. It would probably sell....better than I'm letting on. But good luck telling the Ford money guys that. Funny too, considering they make Mercury versions of most of the Ford car lineup. But I know alot of ppl who would like to own something like the Mustang.....but don't like the idea of owning a "cheap musclecar". Something like the Cougar would open up that segment of the market pretty well IMO. But at the end of the day it'd still be a low volume seller........kind of like the Marauder was. Maybe in a few years, when sales are up and the doom and gloom is over, we'll see Ford develop the brass to build a Cougar like this. They do seem to be taking bolder steps these last few years than they did in the past. Fingers crossed.
Perhaps the next-gen Mustang would serve as a better basis for the vehicle, as it will undoubtedly be a smaller, lighter vehicle? Ecoboost only engines compared with Mustang's N/A V-6 and V-8 offerings, and maybe something else to set it apart from the Mustang. Ford could pull the opposite of what Nissan has done with the Nissan 350/370z and Infiniti G35/37. Use the same platform, but make the Cougar a sleeker, classier 2 seater sports car, with maybe 100lbs saved by removing the rear seats, and another 100lbs by using the ecoboost engines, and keep the mustang as the GT type offering, with the rear seats and slightly lower cost.

That would make economic sense....the same platform used for two vehicles which appeal to very different markets. They wouldn't cannibalize each others' sales that way. It worked for Nissan, and Mercury is in dire need of a halo car. The 370z is more hard-edged sports car than the Mustang, and outhandles and accelerates it due to lower weight (though it's not nearly as userful)...why not aim the Cougar squarely at that vehicle, with the pricing to match? The 370z's platform started life serving duty for 4 door sedans and light SUV's....there's no reason I can see why a future mustang platform couldn't be developed along the same lines. Make it a modular design that allows for easy shortening or lengthening, and put it under some rear drive sedans, sports cars, and the mustang, in various sizes.

Last edited by ring3r; 08-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I would be all over this if it really came to fruition. My first car was a 1973 Cougar XR-7 and I absolutely loved it. I still regret getting rid of it years ago.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Free Agent

As an orphaned Pontiac owner and RWD coupe fan, I'd be interested in a slightly stretched length Cougar (or T-bird) as described. A nice RWD 400 plus HP Coyote engined Cougar with a decent sized backseat and IRS would make my next new car purchase a Blue Oval one.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

Hey free agent, welcome to the club man! Us AMC'ers have been without a true parent since 87, no Javelin for this "just like 1970" shootout. A cougar would be cool though, anyone with photoshop skills wanna draw one up based on the s-197? how bout some hideaway HID lights!