Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

The Camaro got the same motor as the far more expensive Corvette, so I don't so why it's so unlikely that the base GT would get a nice 400hp motor :-)
Old 11-13-2009, 02:02 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Very interesting............
Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

Rumor: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-Liter 4V DOHC motor to have 425 Horsepower
November 13, 2009 Mustang News No Comments

5.0 Mustang Badge

The excitement has been building for many months about the 2011 Mustang GT’s new 5.0-liter motor and while nobody has concrete evidence on what actual horsepower numbers will be except Ford Motor Company the rumor machine keeps on chugging. The latest rumor making the rounds on various Mustang forums comes to us from an October post over on ModularFords.com. In the post a forum member from a respected Mustang tuner writes how the new 2011 Mustang 5.0-liter “Coyote” motor will produce an advertised 425 horsepower. He goes on to say the engine actually made 468 horsepower on the dyno and later in the thread he says he has engine part #’s to prove it.

Is this just another of the countless rumors or does this guy actually know something. It’s to hard to tell because the info is coming from a respected Mustang tuner who might have knowledge of Ford’s newest engines coming down the pipe. On the other hand why would Ford ever release or let anybody have access to this type of information before they officially let the news out themselves. Another thought popped into my head and it was so simple, is this just a publicity stunt on the Mustang tuners part to get their name in the news, maybe. Who really knows is the big question and I say to you nobody knows because Ford is smarter than that. I guess we will all have to wait three more weeks to find out at the L.A. Auto Show in December.

Also a few other new tidbits of information about the 2011 Mustang is there will be a few new colors, Race Red and Ingot Silver. These colors were first reported awhile ago on Stangnet but I just came across them so I thought why not post them up.

Source: ModularFords.com
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

1.FORD HAVE ALREADY BEGAN MAKING THE 5.0 COYOTE IN THEIR FACTORIES.

All the equipment required to make this new engine has arrived at the plants.

2.It is being made for the Falcon FOR SURE, HERE IN THE USA.

This engine is rumored to get rid of the 5.4 and 4.6 to save money.

Rather its going into our Mustangs? We find out at the LA AUTO SHOW next month.

It is a high revving engine and makes 402HP and 398Lb Torque, with VVT, Naturally.
(NOT TUNED, NOT SUPERCHARGED, NO EXHAUST MODS, NO INTAKE MODS)

H00000000000wever, expect the numbers might increase with premium fuel,stock.

The engine is light weight, with a potent POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.

Your competition would need at least 460HP, to match the lightweight Mustang and Power to weight ratio of the new 5.0 Coyote..

IF it goes into the Mustang, but it is FOR SURE going into the Falcon, Police Interceptors.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

This is your new pony hiding under this red robe. The car does not have a re-style, so why are they hiding a Ford under here? and why is it on the front page ?

http://laautoshow.com/Debuts_ComingSoon.html

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 AM
nginman

The Chev. Camaro already has a 426HP V8. And they didn't need a DOHC to do it. Ford must be prety embarrased that the Chev V6 makes the same HP as their V8 and that their new V6 only makes 52HP/L. That's as bad as some of the 1970's engines.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
This is your new pony hiding under this red robe. The car does not have a re-style, so why are they hiding a Ford under here? and why is it on the front page ?

http://laautoshow.com/Debuts_ComingSoon.html

I think it will be a Boss 302 and it will have the 400/400 5.0 engine. I don't see Ford putting this engine in the base model GT. An engine with that output has to have a safety factor and it'll probably be 550 to 600 rwhp just like 4.6L is around 450. Ford will have to put exotic internals in this engine, and I just don't see them doing that with a mass production car like the GT. The Boss would be priced higher to cover the additional cost of the engine.

It will be just another model Mustang. My guess is that they will kept the GT with a 4.6, add the Boss 302/5.0 as an intermediate car, and then there will be the GT500 with 550hp with an aluminum block. The GT500 will equal the output of the Ford GT which had an aluminum 5.4L.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nginman
The Chev. Camaro already has a 426HP V8. And they didn't need a DOHC to do it. Ford must be prety embarrased that the Chev V6 makes the same HP as their V8 and that their new V6 only makes 52HP/L. That's as bad as some of the 1970's engines.
Ford didn't have to discontinue the Mustang like Chevrolet had to do with its Camaro. It not always about HP as History has shown. Also, the Mustang is a relatively smaller and lighter car compared to the Camaro or Challenger. This is evident with the big 6.2L "barely" outperforming the little ole 4.6L.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 AM
nginman

Originally Posted by GerRod
Ford didn't have to discontinue the Mustang like Chevrolet had to do with its Camaro. It not always about HP as History has shown. Also, the Mustang is a relatively smaller and lighter car compared to the Camaro or Challenger. This is evident with the big 6.2L "barely" outperforming the little ole 4.6L.
NOT cheaper and not realy close perf.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Base Price: $30,995 | As Tested: $35,000

2010 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Base Price: $30,995 | As Tested: $35,626

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
Base Price: $29,320 | As Tested: $37,410

The six-speed manual, 3.45:1 geared 426 hp Camaro SS was the quickest car of the group by a wide margin, stomping 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and running through the 1/4-mile in 13.0 seconds at 111 mph.

Mustang could still hustle to 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds and run through the 1/4-mile in 13.9 seconds at 102 mph.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GerRod
The camaro is 410lbs heavier and barley beat the mustang but you have to look at how everything was tested too. You can look at the comparison between the gt500 and the camaro 2ss in motortrend I blieve it was that had the 2ss barley losing to the gt500 because there was a lot of wheel spin and stuff. The fact is that ford does need to up the power to be marketable. Not that we can't make our cars much faster but someone who isnt a die hard fan of either side might be persuaded to go with the camaro because of the horsepower number alone. Just look at the sales, correct me if I'm wrong but the camaro has outsold the mustang the last few months. I really hope they come out with a 400hp number. I know I would likely buy a new one and then have the hard choice of which one to mod

Quick Reply: New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?