Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

cops reading license plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM
serratoso

Default cops reading license plates

you guys think that if i got a ticket for nitrous on my car and i just deside to pay off the ticket, if a cop pulled up behind me would they be able to check my record and get me for the same thing??? cause i just plan on paying off the ticket and driving really carefully.... any advise would help... thanx in advance..
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Wrong section.

If it was a traffic citation, yes, they'd be able to look at your record and see you had nitrous on your car. They can't pull you over for having a bad record though. They have to have reasonable suspicion(or probable cause) to pull you over. Which means you have to create a crime in front of them. If you don't speed, don't make it obvious you have nitrous, then you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

if they pull u for something you can bet they're gonna tell you to pop you're trunk to check for the nitrous
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Now days law enforcment keep all kinds of data they get on you, in a file. They pull you over there going to know you have nitrouse because you got a ticket for it..

Listen to the scanner all the time here at work.. It's amazing how much data they collect and keep that will allow them to track you down if they need too.. Any and every time you touch them for whatever reason, it gets logged with notations if they want.. You bet those notations have been made, and will show up if and when they run your license..

Yours ON MF

Dreamer1
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Wait. Nitrous is illegal?XD
Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 AM
tratran

Has anyone turned in license plates to cops and gotten satisfactory results? i.e. fines/charges/arrest being levied against the aggressive driver?

I was satisfied with my one experience here, even w/o files levied:

One evening as I was cycling home, I was making a left turn from a five-lane city road (two lanes each way and a center turn lane) where speed limits were ~35mph. I got in the center lane and was cycling to the light. At that point, a pickup came tearing out from gas station and headed straight towards me... At the last minute, they veered to one side. What got me though is that the window was rolled down and I heard someone laughing (suggesting to me this wasn't accidental "didn't see the cyclist"). I paused and was able to get the license plate.

I was frustrated enough that I cycled over to the city police station. I indicated that I wanted to file a police report. After a brief wait, an officer came out to take my report. He said he would check this out and took my phone number.

A few hours later, I got a phone call. The officer had gone to the person's home who owned the truck. That person acknowledged that he had been driving, and that he had encountered a cyclist. However, his story was that he hadn't seen me - though he couldn't explain the laughing. The officer let me know that it would be tough to convict on any charges since it would be a "he said/she said" type case. I didn't pursue the matter any more than that.

While this didn't result in charges, I was satisfied with the outcome. I'm not necessarily trying to stick it to this motorist. However, officers in question were polite, did their follow-through and let me know the outcome. I would hope in any case that the driver had some "warning" that harassing cyclists is not a good thing and hopefully behavior improves.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Nitrous is not illegal the the bottle its in is not dot approved so it is illegal.The short answer is take the bottle out or take it all out.Tartran in your case unless they hit you there is really no laws broken in the polices mind.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
98svtNate

nitrous is not illeagal! what type of system are you using ie. brand name? i have used nitrous before on a previous vehicle and have been pulled over a few times. each time they checked my car for mods they thought were illegal and when they thought they found something i simply showed the officer the D.O.T. # stamped or sticker on the part and told them that it is street legal. i also kept reciepts/papers with me that showed the D.O.T # on it. therefore all i have gotten tickets for was speeding. my suggestion is fight the ticket if your bottle has a D.O.T. # on it. there is no way an officer can prove you were using it to go faster since the officer was in his patrol car and not in your car.

ps the D.O.T. # is usually near the top of the bottle.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
twislilac

I accept with information:Nitrous is not illegal the the bottle its in is not dot approved so it is illegal.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreamer1
Now days law enforcment keep all kinds of data they get on you, in a file. They pull you over there going to know you have nitrouse because you got a ticket for it..
Unless its the same cop that wrote the ticket, they wont know why the ticket was written. there is no particular statute regarding NO2, at least not here in Fl. All the cop will see on your driving record is a equipment violation citation.

Quick Reply: cops reading license plates