Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Around here all the kids are getting lexus' ,bmw and the like. Its more of a status thing than a hp thing, and the mustang or any other "muscle" car doesnt fit their image.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Around here all the kids are getting lexus' ,bmw and the like. Its more of a status thing than a hp thing, and the mustang or any other "muscle" car doesnt fit their image.
this does not apply (that much) in south georgia....i live near a university of about 20k students(18-22 yrs.old)..Yes, hot babes everywhere.lol point is, the camaro, challenger,and mustangs are almost at every light. they all are equiped with the v8, for the majority, because their parents can afford to buy them what they want and insure it. the srt8 challenger roams the streets with gt500's and ss camaro's...i have seen an equal distribution of these cars among male and female...since, i am in the south, they are usually upgraded with the basics: cai, tune, exhaust, and steeper gear ratios...there are flyers all over this campus built- town directing you to car meets. i went once, and saw more than enough 30-50k brand new modded cars in their hands. not to mention 25% are FI already. i guess their parents foot the bill....can't wait for the 11 mustang to be back on top, because these modded( all over the place) muscle cars eat the typical tuned 10 gt for lunch.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt/cs07
Where are you seeing these cars sell for 25-26k? I was at a ford dealer today and a pretty much base model was running 32k.
I assume you're talking $32k STICKER price. NOBODY pays sticker. Sticker price is a joke.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I find these posts histerical. Use your head people, its all about the driver not the age.

Ok, I know I have a few of these power levels off, trying to go off memory becaus I dont want to go look this up, but you get the idea.

This conversation in 95:
Kids shouldnt have the GT, its got 215 HP. Way to much for a kid. They should stick with the V6 with 145HP

This conversation in 99:
Kids shouldnt have the GT, its got 260 HP. Way to much for a kid. They should stick with the V6 with 190HP

This conversation in 05:
Kids shouldnt have the GT, its got 300 HP. Way to much for a kid. They should stick with the V6 with 215HP

This conversation for 2010 (2011 stang):
Kids shouldnt have the GT, its got 400HP. Way to much for a kid. They should stick with the V6 with 305HP

Use your brain people, my 89 CRX with 80Hp got up to 130 mph. Thats more then enough to kill myself or anyone I would have hit. Its all about the driver, age itself has little impact.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I took a hell of a lot of chances on the road when I was young. Not that I don't now but a hell of a lot less now than then. It was that "I'm invincible!" attitude early in life...
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Its all about the driver, age itself has little impact.
Yes . . . and no.

With age comes experience. If nothing else, maybe you learn the difference between "slightly risky" and "really stupid" behavior behind the wheel. And if the tendency to push the car a bit doesn't mellow out or go away completely, at least you pick the times and places with a little more wisdom.

Norm
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Its all about the driver, age itself has little impact.
Gotta respectfully disagree. Statistics show that youthful drivers are involved in most of the deadly traffic accidents due to the two most common causes - driving aggressively and driving drunk.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Gotta respectfully disagree. Statistics show that youthful drivers are involved in most of the deadly traffic accidents due to the two most common causes - driving aggressively and driving drunk.

Um, don't you see you are agreeing with me.....

Driving aggressively and driving drunk are choices of THE DRIVER. Statistically are there more of them that do. Yes. But that doesn't mean that all do because some people, even at the younger age, posses greater self control and common sense.

And Norm, yes you bring up the other common point. Experience. So by the time someone reaches the grand old age of say 30, they have experienced a car and can "Handle" the power. Meaning if the rear end starts to get loose, they have experienced that before and know how to handle it. If the weather gets a little ruff, they have experienced the change in handling before, and know how to react. Hmm.... now how old were they when they learned those lessons........

Also, respectfully to everyone else, your completely missing the point of my statements. As the HP levels of both the V6 and the GT rise, older people bring it upon them self to deem the V6 currently at whatever power level is more appropriate for the younger driver then the current GT.

So in 95 a 18 year old driver could only handle 145hp, cause that was the v6. But now in 2010, a 18 year old can handle 305, because its a v6.

I am 26, still relatively young, but it takes some audacity to make a thread like this, where just because you are a little older then someone, or because the newer cars have more power then yours, you feel you can cover every other younger person then yourself with a nice blanket statement like this.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

i have been around modded cars all my life from my brother and his friends while i am only 21 i payed for it myself, my 2nd car in high school was a fox i really learned to drive on it. My brother told me on the ride when we got it (didnt have plates so he drove) we did a shake down run and he said this car is plenty fast you have nothing to prove and i remembered that. I had 2 kids die at my high school before i finished their. One in a acura showing of to his friends on a wet road while drunk killed him and his buddy, driver's bottom half got hit with motor top half exited and hit a tree, he took up alot of ziplock bags.

other kid got attacked by a tele pole while he was also showing off. The driver will end up making the difference while i also have a motivation of not getting speeding tickets b/c i am trying to get into law enforcement i just never had the need. The revving at a light when some one revs at me and then we wave is about it.

There's a time and a place and its a track with the added benefit that its timed and what happens there can't be chalked up to bitching about how his car acted funny blah blah /end rant i guess?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Um, don't you see you are agreeing with me.....

Driving aggressively and driving drunk are choices of THE DRIVER. Statistically are there more of them that do. Yes. But that doesn't mean that all do because some people, even at the younger age, posses greater self control and common sense.
Actually, it's the other way around. You are agreeing with my statement "Statistics show that youthful drivers are involved in most of the deadly traffic accidents due to the two most common causes - driving aggressively and driving drunk" with your comments "Driving aggressively and driving drunk are choices of THE DRIVER. Statistically are there MORE OF THEM that do."
Also, I never said that all drivers, irregardless of their age, drive aggressively and/or drunk.

Last edited by ski; 01-01-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who feels this way?