Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Next Redesign Year?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

If they could make one as ASAP to match the engine.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0440thgt
Personally, I'd like to see a smaller, lighter version of the Mustang with the 5.0 engine - ehh humm, IE Foxbody part II ??

This was joked about in another thread, but I like the idea! Modern Fox!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

I agree with a lighter Mustang... its getting out of hand.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

IMO, They should make the 2014 1/2's special

Personally, I think Ford should take cues from the 71's since the Pony's seem to be getting bigger as time goes on (Might as well).
Old 01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Ford could build a lightweight Mustang saddled with a 400 hp V8. Problem is......such a car would likely cost close to 40K, and that's before options. The reason cars like the new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang are bigger/heavier is because the automakers are trying to go the cheapest route possible to put these cars together. Afterall, that's the hallmark of the muscle/pony car.......cheap performance. Now, when you start trying to make a brand new small platform with all the necessary lightweight and strong (but very expensive) materials....that's when you start making such a car alot more expensive. Cars like the Fox platform were able to be made lightweight because they didn't have to meet the stringent safety regs that modern day cars have to. So you either use cheap (but heavy) steel.......or lightweight (but expensive) stuff like aluminum or CF.

So it comes down to this: are you really ready to have to pay almost 40K for a smaller, lighter weight Mustang that used to cost you 28-29K?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yes and No^^^^^^.
One non-costly way to make a car lighter is to make it smaller.
Should actually be cheaper, less sheet metal, smaller upholstery panels etc...
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Why can't they make a fiberglass mustang just once like corvettes do with every single car. Can you imagine that? Yes expensive but poopie wouldn't you like to see the stang out run the car just once?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 AM
danielk
1st Gear Member

I was just reading the report on the development of the new 5.0 engine, and it's just amazing to me how products such as this are "massaged" into greater and greater efficiency. The manner in which ideas are constantly transformed into improvements....pretty cool to watch the advancements over the years.....
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Yes and No^^^^^^.
One non-costly way to make a car lighter is to make it smaller.
Should actually be cheaper, less sheet metal, smaller upholstery panels etc...
I don't know about that. If that were true then the Vette would be as cheap as a Camaro or a Mustang. Plus vehicle dynamics come into play at some point. There's a reason why tiny cars like modern Lotus' and such aren't saddled with burly V8's. The engineering needed to make such a small car able to handle the stresses of such a brutal motor would likely destroy the car's overall dynamic capabilities.

So yea, producing a smaller car might be theoretically cheaper in terms of less materials used, but producing that same car to handle a powerful V8 tends to reverse all those advantages.

Besides all this, we have to consider that the Big 3 are currently using shared platforms to produce their new pony rides. It may be a while before we see any of them spend the dough and R+D to develop a new smaller platform just for their musclebound joy rides. But regardless, I don't expect either the Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger to get smaller and lighter anytime soon.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
smaller lighter version doubt it... it seems every car gets heavier and heavier each year... people just want more out of each car plus safety issues. The true question is how much longer will cars under 30mpg be able to live with the government cracking down on fuel economy...
Not a matter of how much longer will cars under 30mpg live, but how much longer will NEW cars under 30mpg be manufactured. Cars under 30mpg will still be around for a long long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Redesign Year?