Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang GT 500hp?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
and there was one guy who put a V10 Vanquish engine in a Mustang GT...it's possible
Actually, the Vanquish has a V12. The blue V12 Mustang with glass roof is a local car built by Western MotorsportS. I see it at many local S&S's and as far as I know, it's not running yet.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I thought mustangs were always intended to be corner carvers... They just happen to be good in the qtr mile too.

I agree they are finally making it better in that respect in todays standards.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Actually, I think the majority of Mustang owners do care about heads up drag racing.
I know the folks I know are more interested in going fast in a straight line than corner carving. Save the IRS for the Bimmer crowd.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

That's the folks you know. It still stands that the vast majority of Mustang owners couldn't care less about going down a drag strip. I just happens that the draggers are the vocal minority and makes it seem like that's all the Mustang is good for. And in turn has caused rag reviewers to go from calling Mustangs/Camaros what they really are (pony cars!) to calling them "muscle cars."

Muscle cars are for straight lines. "Pony" cars are for making precise changes in direction.

Last edited by GT Premi; 02-18-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with IRS when it comes to drag racing. Sure there are more things that could break. terminators could cope with it and make big power on the irs. i don't think that it scares them away from going to the drag strip. There is really no comparison when you compare how much time you are on the street going around corners and going down the strip a couple times.

Originally Posted by zkiller
Actually, I think the majority of Mustang owners do care about heads up drag racing.
I know the folks I know are more interested in going fast in a straight line than corner carving. Save the IRS for the Bimmer crowd.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat GT
Actually, the Vanquish has a V12. The blue V12 Mustang with glass roof is a local car built by Western MotorsportS. I see it at many local S&S's and as far as I know, it's not running yet.
You are correct...it was a V12...sorry, but that strenghtens my point.

Some of you older gentlemen might remember back in the 60's and 70's when they had 3 or 4 different engine combinations, multiple transmitions options... Ford started making cookie cutter cars for a while, but now they're going back to more option-based cars.

What would be nice is an almost built to spec version. 5-speed or 6-speed manual. Solid or Independent rear, whatever gear you want, multiple shifter options...you can kinda see it going that way with the new track packs they are offering, just would like to see them take it a little further.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
Some of you older gentlemen might remember back in the 60's and 70's when they had 3 or 4 different engine combinations, multiple transmitions options... Ford started making cookie cutter cars for a while, but now they're going back to more option-based cars.

While I can't remember it myself, I am familiar with it and always thought how awesome that was. I've been wanting for a long time these kind of options to come back.

I'll take the fastback and 7+ L engine options.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I just don't see the HP going up in the stock vehicles much more if at all. I think history repeats itself, and 2010 is like the reincarnation of 1970, the cafe standards due to go into effect in 2013, could stymie the high HP market just like the difference between '73-'74.
I'd hate to see it happen, but...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

has the solid axle really screwed anyone over? i mean to the point of demanding an IRS? i cannot judge fairly, i have never owned or even drove an IRS setup. are we talking night and day here or a little bumpy and uncomfortable at a small amount of time
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

It's not a night and day difference under most circumstances. If you regularly travel on rough roads, the difference can be significant. But for most people, the desire for IRS is mainly just so they can "feel good" about it and say they have a "modern" suspension setup. As the S197 has been proving since inception, in a race on a track, having an IRS has virtually zero advantage. It's negligible at best. And the same can be said of SRA vs. IRS at the dragstrip. Take the ZR1, for example. Isn't it in the high 10s/low 11s on street tires and stock suspension (IRS) setup? Or the heavy CTS-V that runs 12s all day long. So a properly engineered IRS can run every bit as good as a SRA at the dragstrip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang GT 500hp?