Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 Mustang V6 gets 31mpg...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default 2011 Mustang V6 gets 31mpg...

http://www.examiner.com/x-8811-Detro...ang-gets-31mpg
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

That is pretty impressive.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I was told by my salesman at the local Ford dealer that sold us our Escape last year that the EPA gets the MPG ratings by filling the car up with gas, filling all of the seats that the car can seat (4 people for Mustangs) and drives the car normally. So, with only one person in the car and driving conservatively, this car could get 40 MPG for sure. The best I've gotten with my 2008 V8 on long interstate trips is 32 MPG. This is going to be one nice Mustang.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

This is from the epa's site about how they test:

How are Vehicles Tested?
Vehicles are driven over identical driving patterns by professional drivers in controlled laboratory conditions on a dynamometer, which is like a treadmill for cars. The conditions that occur during driving, such as wind drag and inertia are accounted for on the dynamometer. There are two types of tests that are conducted: city and highway tests.

The city test is approximately 11 miles long and simulates a stop and go trip with an average speed of about 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip lasts 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling (as in waiting for traffic lights). A short freeway driving segment is included in the test. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight.

The highway simulates a 10 mile trip with an average speed of 48 mph. The vehicle is started "hot" and there is very little idling and no stops.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I guess they think this is real close to actual driving conditions. Science is good!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
brando47

Well... it's not an exact science but either way, you should be good.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluovalguy

How are Vehicles Tested?
Vehicles are driven over identical driving patterns by professional drivers in controlled laboratory conditions on a dynamometer, which is like a treadmill for cars. The conditions that occur during driving, such as wind drag and inertia are accounted for on the dynamometer. There are two types of tests that are conducted: city and highway tests.

The city test is approximately 11 miles long and simulates a stop and go trip with an average speed of about 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip lasts 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling (as in waiting for traffic lights). A short freeway driving segment is included in the test. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight.

The highway simulates a 10 mile trip with an average speed of 48 mph. The vehicle is started "hot" and there is very little idling and no stops.
thats interesting...ive never read what actually goes on before.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

305hp AND 31mpg is indeed impressive, done for the first time ever i believe
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 AM
87FOX07S197

This is great news, I'm glad Ford is getting their acts together with their engines. It's time to put GM engines to shame.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy

How are Vehicles Tested?

I don't understand why they would go 48 mph for a highway test, as most highways are 55-75. 60 or 65 would make more sense to me.?