Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

News on the 2014 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I personally would love to see the S197 body possible rehashed at most rather than completely scrapped and a new one replacing it.

But if the S197 chassis (D2C) is going to live on at 2014 and beyond, I do hope the the S197 will take more cues from the classic 'Stang that Sadface posted in his post $4.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slug Catcher

Dodge used all new styling cues when they made the Charger. If you could choose between the Charger or the Challenger, Which one would you want?
When going all new body styling, I totally agree. For one, Dodge totally messed up big time with the Charger. They took a classic name and put it on a 4 door that already bears another name, the Chrysler 300! WHY???!!!

The Charger name was forever soiled because it was turned from a coupe into a sedan, and it is not even an original car, it is just a renamed car.
The true Chargers of classic muscle were all coups, and they were beautiful, up until 1974 when they ceased to exist as a muscle car coupe.

I remember a Charger concept car from over 15years ago, it was a beautiful car, true to the 68-74 body styles (it took strong cues from the two body stiles from those years), and even though it was a 4 door, it was really more of a 2 door and 2 half-doors so it was much more true to the coupe.
Too bad it was only a concept, and that concept car only burned natural gas, and thus was never ever meant for production.
I was hoping that Dodge would still produce and bring back the Charger under that great body style, but of course, go with a gasoline engine. But no, they took a Chrysler 300 and slapped on the Charger name on it.

The Challenger is a right mix for a muscle car: honors the classic, but with modern styling and equipment. Thous it is the slowest of the Big Three muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro, & Challenger), it is a damn nice looking car.
I would choose the Challenger over the renamed Chrysler 300 that wants to be a Charger but fails miserably in doing the Charger name any justice at all.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
When going all new body styling, I totally agree. For one, Dodge totally messed up big time with the Charger. They took a classic name and put it on a 4 door that already bears another name, the Chrysler 300! WHY???!!!

The Charger name was forever soiled because it was turned from a coupe into a sedan, and it is not even an original car, it is just a renamed car.
The true Chargers of classic muscle were all coups, and they were beautiful, up until 1974 when they ceased to exist as a muscle car coupe.

I remember a Charger concept car from over 15years ago, it was a beautiful car, true to the 68-74 body styles (it took strong cues from the two body stiles from those years), and even though it was a 4 door, it was really more of a 2 door and 2 half-doors so it was much more true to the coupe.
Too bad it was only a concept, and that concept car only burned natural gas, and thus was never ever meant for production.
I was hoping that Dodge would still produce and bring back the Charger under that great body style, but of course, go with a gasoline engine. But no, they took a Chrysler 300 and slapped on the Charger name on it.

The Challenger is a right mix for a muscle car: honors the classic, but with modern styling and equipment. Thous it is the slowest of the Big Three muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro, & Challenger), it is a damn nice looking car.
I would choose the Challenger over the renamed Chrysler 300 that wants to be a Charger but fails miserably in doing the Charger name any justice at all.
The original Charger concept looked a lot like an extended Avenger. Have you seen the rear end of the 2011 Charger?

Last edited by shonole; 10-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slug Catcher
I dont think of it as retro.

Yea, the PT Cruiser is retro. The VW Beetle is just staying true to form.

You guys want all this new styling, but it usually turns the car into some unrecognizable peice of crap.

How many people ran out and bought the "ALL NEW" evolved Ford Probe when it came out? NOBODY!
That Pile of junk was suppose to REPLACE the Mustang. Luckily Stang owners werent seduced by the gay euro styling. Other wise we would all be rocking the FWD right now.

Dodge used all new styling cues when they made the Charger. If you could choose between the Charger or the Challenger, Which one would you want?

I remember when Jeep put square head lights on the Wranglers. Loyal Jeep owners went ape chit. They soon returned to round head lights.

If you screw with the formula, your going to pay the price. People dont buy Mustangs because of its Advanced styling, they Buy them because the Mustangs styling is timeless.

I hear alot of people saying they want all new styling, but I think they really dont know what they want.

Its like When McDonalds did this survey and found that 90% of the customer wanted a healthier Burger on the menu. So McDonalds came out with the McLean Burger. Less then 1% of the Customers actually order it.

GM Killed the Camaro and replaced it with the Cobalt to satisfy customer demands for a cheap economical sports car.

If you want to see what Evolved styling will get you, Google " Chevy Nova".

See what that turned into before Chevy finally pulled the plug.

Leave the Mustang the way it is.
It's kinda silly to keep a car "the way it is". Noone wants to buy a car with a 15 year old style. People want progress and change.

Did Ford kill the Mustang when the SN-95's and New Edge's came out? Not at all. In fact, New Edges were outselling the Camaro and Firebird combined times 3 about 10 years ago. ANd the new edge car was a progressive chage. Enough change to make the car progress into a new century, yet, people automatically could look at it and tell it was a Mustang.

That's what I want to see out of the 2014...keep the heritage of a Mustang, yet, have the car become modernized.

Comparing the Charger to the Mustang progressing is silly because Dodge totally effed up the Charger. They made it into a sedan, that's was the main number one place where they effed up at. Had they kept the new Charger's front and rear, yet, made it a coupe, I'm sure noone would they that about the car. Why? Because they ruined the car's formula. A charger was NEVER a four door, so, why make it that now?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Are you talking about this?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM
ChaotiXx

With the 05-09, I enjoyed bringing back the retro type style. I didn't care too much for the 99-04 model. But, I do believe they are taking the new body style Mustangs in the right direction for a more aggressive, "futuristic" type look. What really makes the new Mustangs stand out is its front bumper and how it puts a slant on the headlights like the previous generation of Shelbys did.

Of course, as for the 2014, they will need something a little better than that to inspire trade ins from Ford's loyal customers, unless they just plan on getting new customers.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Supermans

Originally Posted by ChaotiXx
With the 05-09, I enjoyed bringing back the retro type style. I didn't care too much for the 99-04 model. But, I do believe they are taking the new body style Mustangs in the right direction for a more aggressive, "futuristic" type look. What really makes the new Mustangs stand out is its front bumper and how it puts a slant on the headlights like the previous generation of Shelbys did.

Of course, as for the 2014, they will need something a little better than that to inspire trade ins from Ford's loyal customers, unless they just plan on getting new customers.
The 1994-1998 Mustang generation was well loved and received. I ended up buying a 1998 1/2 and was very lucky I did since I hated the 1999-2004 re-design. Everybody has different tastes and it is very hard to make a compelling design that everybody will be happy about. Last year I jumped on the "hating the rear-end" bandwagon after seeing pictures of it online. In person, it is not so bad and once the 5.0 came out and the "vs M3" review, it is "the it car" of this year, trumping the Camaro SS in numbers and taking over the top spot once more for affordable and fast muscle cars. I wouldn't mind a re-design that makes the car look less retro, however I do love the way the front of the car looks now in 2011 and the interior re-design. 2014 is awhile away and I know Ford will do the car justice and make the majority of us salivating for the specs and looks of the package. By then, the supercharger will be standard and going directly into the engine.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
mustangcrazy87
1st Gear Member

As much was I really like the throw back, its time for something new and different. If Ford wishes to continue with the retro look that please please please bring the tail lights from '67 & '68 back. Those two years had the best rear on a car in history!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to see them fix the ugly Back End they messed up when styling the 2010. Just a few tweeks to the lights, and bottom plastic and she would be perfect.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
jammess

I'll tell you what styling change I made to my sparkling new 2011 GT/CS first day, I shot the back end of both mufflers with a can of flat black high heat paint. I just can't stand the sight of two big garbage cans that stare out the back of so many of today's cars pony cars included. Now she looks sweeeeet...

Quick Reply: News on the 2014 Ford Mustang