Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

News on the 2014 Ford Mustang

Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty328
I like it! I'd replace my one day old 2011 GT500 with it.
Weather finaly cleared and I got it yesterday. Now it's sitting in my shop because the roads are covered in ice and snow. AGAIN!

I didn't know I could sit and stare at my own car for so long.
where in texas?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
smitty328

The town of the cow
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That style does look like a retro, it reminds me so much of a late 60's fastback

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_02.html
I'm expecting to at least have the Tri-tail bars though and the fastback look. Those elements haven't really changed since the 1994's came out (well, 96's was the year they got the vertical lights back, but yeah)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It would be nice to have the options of coupe, fastback and convertible again. Kinda like what they did with the foxes with the hatchback and notch
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
the_Pete

I just hope they manage to keep the "muscle" look of the front end some how. If they go for a sleeker more aero front end, then it will be a Fail. I agree with the fastback comments. This is iconic and must stay.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Daemos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I like that^^^^ I'm just glad they're moving towards a non-retro design. Many people are growing tired of the retro stuff.
I really don't understand you New Edge guys. A lot of the time, y'all seem to rant about how you want the car to evolve and not take hints from the Mustang's retro roots, then you endorse a design that is more reminiscent of the old fastbacks than anything on the road today.

From what I can see, there's not one bit in that concept drawing that looks a thing like a New Edge. If anything, the side seems to be based upon the S197, the rear, upon a '68 Fastback, and that's about all there is to that pic.

In my opinion, that's a much bigger step towards "retro" and away from anything similar to the New Edge/SN-95 platforms.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
MulletPoweredRocketShip

Originally Posted by eddypython
Wouldn't mind something that looks like this
I LOVE that; seriously, it is an amazing design. It manages to incorporate the Mustang design cues while still looking awesome and modern. While, I agree the whole retro thing is a bit long in the tooth, I think the current Mustang design is really well done. I agree with whoever said that the S197 is a timeless design.

My biggest grip with the current Mustang is the interior. I liked the SN95 interior. It was very modern and driver-centric. The current model is just bland expanses of flat plastic.

To improve the interior, I think they should make a tachometer-centric dash with modern fonts. Something similar (or identical) to the STI would be nice (http://www.teamscream.net/pics/Fores...ts/cluster.jpg). An LCD dash with different options for looks, i.e. retro, modern, video game style, would work and please everyone at the same time.

The BOSS Recaro seats should be standard on the track-pack as well. If not the Recaros, then at least something like what the Golf R has (http://image.eurotuner.com/f/2788513...lf_r+seats.jpg). I understand that larger people find the bolstering uncomfortable, but sports cars need bolstering. Having it with the track pack is a good compromise, because the people that get it tend to drive more enthusiastically. It's hard to drive fast when you keep having to adjust your **** that is sliding off the seat.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Someone once said that great designs are evolutionary, not revolutionary. While I agree that the S197 design must progress, it really does capture the essence of what a Mustang is. Whether one loves or hates the design of the Porsche 911 you can spot one a mile away and know immediately what you're looking at. I think this is what Ford has to do with the next Mustang - maintain the identity it has established (some might argue re-established) with the S197.

I really like the sketch from a couple pages ago. Modern updates, yet maintaining many of the classic cues that define the brand. The fact that makes it look more like my girlfriend's hips rather than my fat @$$ is an additional plus. Most of the recent design changes for 2010 are also a step in the right direction. I'm just not sure that I want to see a radical design change a-la Fox Body to SN95 or SN96 to S197.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand why people are so hateful of the retro using words like "gtfo", "im out if ford goes retro again" and all this bs. Retro was only made from 05-09 there is nothing retro about 2010 models but the fog lights. So whats peoples problems with ford making a retro for 4 years? No one owning an 05-09 s197 is hating it for being retro, yet its so easy for people who do not own that body style to hate it. I bet if those retro haters were driving a retro based SLS AMG they would not be complaining about IT being retro :O .
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by the_Pete
I just hope they manage to keep the "muscle" look of the front end some how. If they go for a sleeker more aero front end, then it will be a Fail. I agree with the fastback comments. This is iconic and must stay.
I consider the 94-04 front to be a lot sleeker and aero then the 05+, but they still have a Mustang look.

Because of ford tooling costs, they will more then likely stay with the convertible/hardtop design that mixes the coupe and fastback look.

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
I don't understand why people are so hateful of the retro using words like "gtfo", "im out if ford goes retro again" and all this bs. Retro was only made from 05-09 there is nothing retro about 2010 models but the fog lights. So whats peoples problems with ford making a retro for 4 years? No one owning an 05-09 s197 is hating it for being retro, yet its so easy for people who do not own that body style to hate it. I bet if those retro haters were driving a retro based SLS AMG they would not be complaining about IT being retro :O .
nothing retro about the 2010's?

only the 'hips', chrome in the grill, dashboard, stripes, steerign wheel, fake gas cap, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: News on the 2014 Ford Mustang