Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

If it stays retro atleast make it a fastback and coupe option
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Good, I hope ford indeed moves on. The retro thing was good, it was needed. But like everything its time to move on. Too much retro, kinda loses appeal in my mind. If Ford wants to still produce the best american muscle car then they need to break the mold and start fresh again. Still keep the traditional mustang genre but lets please not have anymore 68-70 modern clone cars.

agreed...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

This is going to sound strange, but I hope to see a modern interpretation of a Foxbody. I think that would be kinda cool.

*awaits flames*
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

An Article on the 2014 Mustang: Gotta tell you guys it looks like a Camaro Copy cat to me........

An insider revealed: “The design studios in Europe and Australia are working on it, as well as those in America. It will be smaller and closer in spirit to the original 1964 Mustang.”

Our illustrations give you a good idea of how the new ‘pony’ car will look. It’s leaner and ever so slightly smaller, but still very mean, and packs all the visual aggression for which the legendary model has been famous. This includes recessed headlamps, a traditional C-pillar and triple lens tail-lights.

Yet while it harks back to Sixties Mustangs, the new car will be the most technically advanced version ever. It will be far lighter than the current model, for improved fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions.

Plus, for the first time, it’s set to feature independent rear suspension. As on the Chevrolet Camaro, this set-up replaces the decades-old live rear axle of the current car, and should mean better ride comfort and traction.

Power will come from a new 2.5-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost turbo with around 300bhp, while a range-topping 500bhp 5.4-litre V8 will be available, too. Six-speed manual and auto transmissions are likely to be offered with torque vectoring to keep the performance in check, while the handling is expected to be tuned by Jost Capito and his team at Ford’s Global Performance Vehicles arm.

As well as upping quality under the skin, Ford will have to pay attention to the materials used inside – current models fall behind their European rivals in terms of fit and finish. The move to make the Mustang a world car will be controversial.

Bosses will need to tread carefully so as not to alienate the model’s huge fan base – nearly 75,000 examples were sold in the US in 2010 – and still appeal to discerning UK buyers used to the BMW 3-Series Coupé and Audi A5.

But with Vauxhall’s VXR8, and the Monaro before it, proving that there’s room for powerful muscle cars in the line-up of a mainstream maker, Ford will be confident of success.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz1PfX4evhw

Last edited by tnroadrunr; 06-18-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Making the new style a tiny bit smaller would be ok...but not much smaller. This was one thing about the edge style that I realized I didn't care for once I got used to the roomier s197's.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Can you say, "Mustang II?" It was a mistake the first time they down size it and it will be a even bigger mistake if they down size it again. Plus, the damm thing looks like an inport for god sakes!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 AM
nicp9

i have a feeling its gonna be a super car, trying to get to look more European.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

The last time Ford wanted to make the Mustang a world car it almost became the Probe. That car didn't last very long. Change would be good but the Mustang is an American Muscle Car and hopefully it wont go to far towards the Euro side.If I wanted a Beamer I'd buy one.
Making the Mustang a little smaller is ok as long as it keeps the Mustang Heritage also a lot can be done on the interior to give it a boost in the world wide market place.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Hot Rokker

I don't mind much Euro styling, a lot of the coke bottle stylings we know and love were from Italian designers, but to make it more European loses the All-American as apple pie factor.

It seems like they're trying to reinvent the car, as they did after '73 and several times afterwards. Not exactly the best approach, but I suppose they do gotta keep things fresh. I mean, imagine 40 years of Mustang if they had the same body they released in '64 and never changed it. It'd be like the VW Beetle (classic)... Classic body, but some change is nice.

I'd like another hatchback of sorts though.... Not like a Focus, but like a fastback hatch, ya know?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

No matter what it ends up looking like, I'm just waiting for them to start giving away the current gens when it comes out, lol.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style