Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I dont want to move on... The retro look is the best look in years. The whole "move forward" idea is a bad one if it means redesigning it to look like a "futuristic" edge mustang. The mustangs of the 90s and early 00s were not visually appealing at all to me. The eco-boost idea is great for those who want a mpg car that doesnt look like a fugly sedan but a v-8 option is a must, the more power the better. I for one am willing to pay more for gas as long as I'm having fun driving the v-8 it's going into. If Ford elects to design the new mustang off these concepts I guess I will have to find a used 11-12 5.0 in the future, that or a Camaro or Corvette unless they get butchered aswell.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I hope they do go to the new edge sized mustang. Those IMO were the perfect fit. I actually never cared for the 05 when they came out. They're unnecessarily bloated...seeing as how they S197 isn't leaps and bounds bigger than the SN95 platform inside. A few inches and that was it.

And I too hope they go for something not retro. The retro thing was cool in 05, but it's played out now... Big time. The challenger and camaro killed the mustangs retro look anyway.

I love the 2011 Mustang, but I'll be glad to see something smaller, less retro and more
Modern, and a damn IRS.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

From what I understand they are looking to make the new model Mustangs ones that they can design retro versions of in the future. Yes remaining true to it's roots is important and they will continue to display similar body lines that the mustangs have had but the truth is, if they don't redesign they will eventually be stuck. Because you can only redesign things so much before it all just starts to look the same. But like I have seen many people in the forums state before, Fords design has never looked like the concepts. The only thing the concepts are good for is to build the anticipation for the new arrival and for everyone to discuss what they do and don't want to see in the future stang.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
MustangFTW

i read independent suspension, hopefull in the next couple years it becomes alot cheaper or well never see a 30k mustang again!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
I hope they do go to the new edge sized mustang. Those IMO were the perfect fit. I actually never cared for the 05 when they came out. They're unnecessarily bloated...seeing as how they S197 isn't leaps and bounds bigger than the SN95 platform inside. A few inches and that was it.

And I too hope they go for something not retro. The retro thing was cool in 05, but it's played out now... Big time. The challenger and camaro killed the mustangs retro look anyway.

I love the 2011 Mustang, but I'll be glad to see something smaller, less retro and more
Modern, and a damn IRS.
AGREED WORD FOR WORD!!! retro is played out. If all you do is retro then you will never get anything new
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 PM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10MustangGT
i could be wrong though...trends could change drastically by 2014
Trends could change but some things stay the same with Mustang......Lots of power = Lots of Fun.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

The great looking mustangs have had great lines, if they remember that when designing it we should be fine.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 PM
xring3

All the talk of Euro styling and performance reminds me of such automotive successes as the Yugo, Opal, Renault. If you want Euro styling buy a Euro car with worthless euro currency. If Ford wants to get back to the origins of the mustang, it must be remembered that it was "affordable to the common buyer". As my '08 is my third mustang, affordability meant saving alot longer to get it. With that in mind.....it is the best one though.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xring3
All the talk of Euro styling and performance reminds me of such automotive successes as the Yugo, Opal, Renault. If you want Euro styling buy a Euro car with worthless euro currency. If Ford wants to get back to the origins of the mustang, it must be remembered that it was "affordable to the common buyer". As my '08 is my third mustang, affordability meant saving alot longer to get it. With that in mind.....it is the best one though.
I think the word "worthless" has a different meanings for you and I.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 07-03-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:32 AM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

The only reason this look is called "Retro" is because Ford ventured away from the true Mustang look. So they had to return to their roots, this is the way the Mustang was meant to look, this is the way the Mustang would look if Ford had never strayed. It's not really "Retro" it's actually True Mustang and I for one hope that Ford has learned it's lesson. Bring on the techno gadgets, bring on the Modern Muscle and the newest updates but stay true to the one that brought you to the dance.....

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style