Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
xring3

I think the word "worthless" has a different meanings for you and I.

By "worthless" perhaps I am looking into the future. Notice the down trend of your chart and think about Ireland, Portugal and the rest of the EU that will need to be bailed out by the Euro. My real point, however, remains that by and large US auto makers produce better cars for the "long haul" than the europeans. Here in Oklahoma it is common to see american cars from the seventies still in use but, you rarely see a european car.....except in the junkyard.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
The only reason this look is called "Retro" is because Ford ventured away from the true Mustang look. So they had to return to their roots, this is the way the Mustang was meant to look, this is the way the Mustang would look if Ford had never strayed. It's not really "Retro" it's actually True Mustang and I for one hope that Ford has learned it's lesson. Bring on the techno gadgets, bring on the Modern Muscle and the newest updates but stay true to the one that brought you to the dance.....
Thats a bit of a ridiculous statement. Car designs evolve plain and simple. Look at any car name that has survived even 20 years and you will see it has changed because change is inevitable. If Ford had stuck with the same design since the 60s then its safe to say the Mustang would look nothing like it does today or possibly not exist at all.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Lol at people wanting the Mustang to never evolve.

Stupid logic is stupid logic.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by machracer11
Thats a bit of a ridiculous statement. Car designs evolve plain and simple. Look at any car name that has survived even 20 years and you will see it has changed because change is inevitable. If Ford had stuck with the same design since the 60s then its safe to say the Mustang would look nothing like it does today or possibly not exist at all.
Wow, that is a real rocket scientist statement of it's own. Obviously if you change any item in somethings past you change the entire outcome of it's future. Also known as the ripple effect... It's not a matter of no change, we are talking about "controlled change"The return to the original roots of the Mustang is pretty much the only thing that saved it, It was resting comfortably on deaths door when it was revived with a booster shot of "Back to the Future"..... and your right, everyone ventured away from the "Origins" of the true classic cars, but not every one should have. Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, Chevelle's, Malibu's, Ranchero, el camino, ETC. Wouldn't it be nice..... Like I said.... Improve, update, add to... but some things need to remain in touch with it's beginnings...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnroadrunr
Wow, that is a real rocket scientist statement of it's own. Obviously if you change any item in somethings past you change the entire outcome of it's future. Also known as the ripple effect... It's not a matter of no change, we are talking about "controlled change"The return to the original roots of the Mustang is pretty much the only thing that saved it, It was resting comfortably on deaths door when it was revived with a booster shot of "Back to the Future"..... and your right, everyone ventured away from the "Origins" of the true classic cars, but not every one should have. Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, Chevelle's, Malibu's, Ranchero, el camino, ETC. Wouldn't it be nice..... Like I said.... Improve, update, add to... but some things need to remain in touch with it's beginnings...
In what way has the Mustang not been in touch with it's beginnings? Look at any generation of Mustang and you can see the connections (maybe less so with the Mustang II). There is a big difference between keeping in touch and just rehashing previous designs because you can't come up with something else. I'll agree that retro was what the Mustang needed in 2005 and it paid off big time for Ford but maybe its time to move on a bit and the 2010 does a great job of progressing away from Retro and giving the late 60's mustang back to the late 60's.

But all in all, no one is arguing against Improvements, updates, and add to's, but eventually if you keep adding to "retro" then youre going to have something new and like I said that's inevitable. I figured if everyone else is talking in extremes my previous post might as well too (and considering how close the mustang was to extinction at one point, its not far fetched at all to say it may not exist anymore). May want to brush up on your mustang history a bit.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
V8Thrasher

Im actually all for the Mustang becoming a "Sports Car", seeing as the new 5.0 is basically an American M3, The Camaro's sole goal is to outperform the Mustang (which it failed at) while Mustang's goal is to attack better, more expensive cars ala BMW's M3. If anyone remembers the BOSS special on SPEED one of the designers said "we got BMW, now we're going after Porsche". Those words sent chills down my spine, if Ford(not Shelby, drop him already) creates another SVT Cobra or maybe a new Mach 1, I think that will venture onto sports car territory(REAL Sports cars) in a price we can afford. Hell, the BOSS 302 outperforms the GT500. Im on the market for a new 14 Mustang, I just hope they are worth it when the come out.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

LOL, the Mustang is starting to be not so affordable anymore so let the Corvette go after Porsche.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 AM
V8Thrasher

Originally Posted by pascal
LOL, the Mustang is starting to be not so affordable anymore so let the Corvette go after Porsche.
if the 2014 Mustang is a flop I would seriously consider getting a Corvette Grand Sport

But I have faith, it may not be as "affordable" as say a straight line Camaro or Challenger, but if it can make a 60,000+ sports car **** in its pants....Im all for it
Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Offshore Angler

Originally Posted by V8Thrasher
If anyone remembers the BOSS special on SPEED one of the designers said "we got BMW, now we're going after Porsche". Those words sent chills down my spine,...
Worked out pretty well when they went after Ferrari, why not Porsche?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
LS1fivepointO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
Worked out pretty well when they went after Ferrari, why not Porsche?
Only problem was that the last Ford GT was an unreliable pig. It was an amazing car but, the F430 was better in pretty much every way. I'm fairly certain the F430 outsold the GT rather handily as well.

The new Porsche's are simply awesome and if Ford makes a car to compete with them in the Mustang it will no long be affordable, which is one of the biggest allures of Stangs'.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang to depart from current retro style