Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ford silent on broken Mustang transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford silent on broken Mustang transmissions

Have you all heard about this I found this article on Jalopnik and learned about owners with the manual transmision 6 speeds are breaking and also I learnd that on the 2011 the transmisions at least in part are made in China wow

here is the link
http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207/ford-s...-transmissions
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone expereinced this yet?

Last edited by boomee; 04-28-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Woah, that sucks if its true. Naw nobody i know has had any problems with their new five-oh
Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Saleenish

Theres alot of talk about this on other forums. Some are having problems, others are not. Still as much of a "case by case" problem this can be. Im for sure keeping my eye on this issue, as I am toying with the idea of a new 5.0.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1, I believe the Camaro has the same or similar tranny in it and when they first released the camaro, people were snapping the output shaft of the tranny. That's since been resolved.

I believe there is some truth to article in the link (bad mix of metals). When stress levels go up (more TQ/HP) tolerances need to go up as well. What works in a lab scenario does not work as well in an everday real-life application.

Ford hasn't denied the issue, they're silent right now. Not the same thing. The same people that are vehemently pursuing ford making a big media thing about his (Jmatero for example) won't rest until the answer and fix comes out. That being said, it's good to stay on top of it but what do you Expect Ford to do. They're not going to fuel the fire with guesses.

Last thing they want is to come up with a "AHA! we found it!" then go, oh...nevermind.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by boomee
Have you all heard about this I found this article on Jalopnik and learned about owners with the manual transmision 6 speeds are breaking and also I learnd that on the 2011 the transmisions at least in part are made in China wow

here is the link
http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207/ford-s...-transmissions
lol....blame china and ignore the fact that the ones who are breaking are out there bolting slicks on and bouncing the needle off the rev limiter in hopes of a lower et............I'd like to know what all the ones who broke were doing when it broke??? I love the tranny they cracked open and second is torn up as well as the syncros....lol, now come on..2nd gear??? and the owner swears it has never recieved rough treatment..lol, had many t-5's look that way after.....well you know..lol

Last edited by mjr46; 05-24-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
lol....blame china and ignore the fact that the ones who are breaking are out there bolting slicks on and bouncing the needle off the rev limiter in hopes of a lower et............I'd like to know what all the ones who broke were doing when it broke??? I love the tranny they cracked open and second is torn up as well as the syncros....lol, now come on..2nd gear??? and the owner swears it has never recieved rough treatment..lol, had many t-5's look that way after.....well you know..lol
If you have GT man.... Drive it like it is meant to be driven.. If you want to baby the car, then buy a luxury car... 2011s were built to drag race with this engine! Ford knows that and should have been in a tranny that can take it... simply bolt ons and slicks should not kill a brand new high tech tranny as they claim this one is...

I had the bolts on my pressure plate back off and screw my tranny and clutch up... Getting fixed now...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

no. racing is NOT normal wear and tear. it is defined as abuse. while you're right it should have a tranny capable of taking some punishment, if you took ford to court a case based around "that's what mustangs are meant to do" wouldn't hold up. if it was, ford would sell it as an off-road only vehicle. if this were the case with a say an s197 cobra jet, then you would be right.