Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Ford Mustang to get IRS, be smaller & lighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Post 2014 Ford Mustang to get IRS, be smaller & lighter

According to the rumors kicking around the web, the next-generation Ford Mustang is going to look quite a bit different from the current model. Auto Express is reporting that when the 50th anniversary version of the pony touches down in 2014, it will arrive in unfamiliar markets, including the UK. That means that the muscle car will boast a right-hand drive interpretation for the first time in its history. The RHD Mustangs will supposedly be built right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. and be shipped around the world, including to Australia and Japan.

As interesting as that little tidbit is, AE reiterates that the model will bow with an EcoBoost four-cylinder under the hood. We've heard that one before, but the interesting part here is that the engine will be a 2.5-liter four-pot instead of the 2.3-liter variant pointed to by other sources.

If that's not enough to bulge your eyeballs, the report also says that the next-gen Mustang will be smaller and rock an independent rear suspension for the first time.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/2...n-preparation/
Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Was just reading this on autoblog. Very interesting. This is the direction that people have been hinting they would go for quite some time; lighter, smaller displacement and decrease in overall size. The third party illustrations look pretty good outside of the tailights (not this discussion again).

Important to note that these are third party renderings, not from Ford

Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Interesting info.....I'm glad to hear it's coming with the IRS soon, but I've got my fingers crossed that they get it right!

As for the 2.5 EcoBoost, I myself won't touch it but I imagine everyone my age (21) is going to want it, just because it's a Mustang. Bring on the 302!

P.S.: Camaro-esque taillights?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

Do I welcome a 4-cyl engine in a Mustang...absolutely not. If Ford trying to reach an international audience by doing so...yes. If the current V6 is getting over 30MPG with 300HP then where is the need for the reduction to a 4-cyl? One of the true muscle car from the sixties should not ponder such an idea. As far as the illustration above....well I kinda like it. The bigger question for me is how much smaller? I am pleased with the current size of the Mustang now. Any smaller and it will feel like a compact.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I actually like that rear. the front screams camaro to me all day every day for some reason. 4 cyl. I don't care if it has 1000 hp. shouldnt be in the mustang line up. if someone still has something to add to that, go buy an evo and have fun with that. And that's regardless if they will still have the V8 and the V6 in the line up.

back to the rendering though, I'm digging the tail lights lol
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by swooshpimp
Do I welcome a 4-cyl engine in a Mustang...absolutely not. If Ford trying to reach an international audience by doing so...yes. If the current V6 is getting over 30MPG with 300HP then where is the need for the reduction to a 4-cyl? One of the true muscle car from the sixties should not ponder such an idea. As far as the illustration above....well I kinda like it. The bigger question for me is how much smaller? I am pleased with the current size of the Mustang now. Any smaller and it will feel like a compact.
One of the greatest Muscle Cars of the 60's was also available with Straight 6cyl that made 105 gross horsepower. Remember that the reason that Mustang has been around for so long is because it offers such a wide variety of motors. Going to a the Ecoboost 4cyl actually fits right into the Mustangs history. They have always offered a economical base model for Mustang fans who didn't care for performance. In fact, back in late '90's and early 00's, the V8 Camaro sales were on par or better than V8 Mustang sales. The problem was, no one bought V6 Camaro's and V6 Mustangs actually outsold V8 Mustangs. Thus, the Camaro temporarily went to the grave and the Mustang soldered on.

Originally Posted by eddypython
I actually like that rear. the front screams camaro to me all day every day for some reason. 4 cyl. I don't care if it has 1000 hp. shouldnt be in the mustang line up. if someone still has something to add to that, go buy an evo and have fun with that. And that's regardless if they will still have the V8 and the V6 in the line up.

back to the rendering though, I'm digging the tail lights lol

First of all Ford has produced a turbo 4cyl Mustang in the past. The SVO was pretty awesome car. The Mustang has been available through history with i4's, Turbo'd i4's, i6's, V6's and V8's. Going to a Turbo 4cyl would in now way distort the Mustang's heritage. Second of all, the current 3.7L V6 does an excellent job in the mileage department but I have feeling they will be shooting for 40mpg highway with the Ecoboost 4cyl and the weight reduction.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 06-11-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I welcome a 4 banger mustang. It is so wrong I would own it. The SVO's of old where beating the V8's of that era.

If it brings down the price we got a winner, and perhaps some more kids will want an American car instead of your run of the mill import.

It's the V6 mustang I would never own, it will always be the wannabe to me. The SVO is in its own league. And I bet someone is going to boost the crap out of that little 4 to run stellar times on, and off the track. They need to do this.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Regardless of power plant, Ford isn't gonna yank the V8 just yet.
Mustang sales in this Country would drop considerably and they cannot afford to lose the US market.
Europe wouldn't care though. Hell, they'll buy a Stang with a diesel I'm sure.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

As long as they don't switch to a FWD platform i'd consider almost any worthwhile engine for the Stang to keep it alive.

The F150's started receiving the Ecoboost motors this year and they have been getting rave reviews for the V6.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
sonicx
speed'n

HOW much rwhp you'd imagine it'd have?

Quick Reply: 2014 Ford Mustang to get IRS, be smaller & lighter