Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Worry Not: Next Gen Mustang To Be All-American

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM
mfournier

Default A NEW Mustang Should be Just that New

Originally Posted by skinnydog4
Well we have always been a mustang lover, in fact we have a 65 fastback. First off I like to say that muscles cars are exactly that, all about styling, power, and pride, and vehicle choice. I think that the mustangs should go back to the older body styles, they were classic, had great lines and just looked mean. The new body styles are starting to look like other "muscle" cars out there. I would have to say that smaller and eco friendly doesn't scream muscle car to me or anyone that loves the old hot rods. If we wanted that we would buy a honda. When i want a muscle car, I want power, crappy gas mileage, and great styling and of course that pure adrenaline pumping hot rod sound, something that i can just roast the tires right off, if i wanted to. Which concludes my answer as NO i would not want to see a smaller mustang which is an icon of american muscle turned into some damn little eco friendly car that looks like everything else out there that half the parts are made in china. Bring back all American made parts and styling of the old mustangs that we all loved.
If you want a Classic Mustang then BUY a Classic Mustang don't try and rebuild the past with the new car Just buy a old one.
It is not 1965 any more. If you like those old Mustangs then drive a OLD mustang and don't buy the New one the rest of us that want a Modern Performance car will be happy to sell you our old cars when it comes out. Oh and if you want a NEW mustang that links like a old one go see the guys at Year one they will build one for you no need for ford to rebuild the past (not that any 1965 car would pass modern crash tests anyway

Last edited by mfournier; 10-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 AM
skinnydog4

Well you dont have to be an ***. We all have our opinions on which we like the new or old mustangs. As i said they should look like the old ones, if it is going to be a mustang fastback, it should look like one. And we do have a 65 fastback, if ya wanna give me your old mustangs then send them my way cuz when they are fixed up, they are worth way more than the new ones. I than will make money off of your old one you dont want. Plus the nice old ones are not driven daily, just taken to car shows, so crash testing is not a problem. Plus the old ones can easily be worked on, these new ones you have to own a diagnostic machine to figure out if a fuse went out. Have the new ones your choice and your opinion.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfournier
I've Said it before and I will say it again IRS is NEEDED to take the Mustang Brand into the 21st century. I love my 2009 GT but it is hardly a modern car. And for all of you complaining that the Mustang needs to be affordable IT IS even the most expensive Mustangs are Affordable (If you Poor don't be looking to buy a performance car)
Personally I want a Mustang that is better then any coupe from Germany or Japan. And right now you we have to make excuses like "well for the price it holds it own well" NO I don't want to make excuses I want FAST and not just FAST in a straight line (oh and by the way most German Sports cars are faster in a straight line then a Mustang also so shut up about you can't launch a IRS car that is bull ****. I challenge any of you to race a Stock Mustang against a 911GT or a Corvette (forget the stupid camaro) Ford does not make a Corvette beater (THE FORD GT is no longer made and it was made in so limited production it was really not a production car most sold for more then MSRP)
Ford Needs the Mustang to be affordable yes but not Cheap it is a performance car not a economy car. If you can't afford a $40,000 performance car then maybe you should not be buying a performance car. Go buy a USED CAR and SHUT UP
Deep breathes.........................Go to your happy place........................
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
mfournier

Yes I know I read it after. My intention was not to tell anyone else to shut up I meant shut about the price not to shut up in general. I actually reading others post But yes I get a bit upset when people keep wanting to hold back progress It is not like all the older Mustangs are going to be crushed just because a new Mustangs comes out. If you like the old car then don't buy the new one is all I meant. I love classic mustangs too for what they are but I feel Ford need to bring their brand up to the level of the Other auto makers. I don't want the Mustang identity to go away but in many ways the Mustang Never really has been the car it really Should be due to Cost cutting (even back in 1965 they had designs for a IRS) It has always had style and that COOL factor. Thanks to the Many Tuner versions from Shelby, Roush and Saleen (and others) there has always been a option to have a Mustang that can hold it's own with other sports cars.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM
skinnydog4

Smile new verses old mustang.

[QUOTE=mfournier;7711784]Yes I know I read it after. My intention was not to tell anyone else to shut up I meant shut about the price not to shut up in general. I actually reading others post But yes I get a bit upset when people keep wanting to hold back progress It is not like all the older Mustangs are going to be crushed just because a new Mustangs comes out. If you like the old car then don't buy the new one is all I meant. I love classic mustangs too for what they are but I feel Ford need to bring their brand up to the level of the Other auto makers. I don't want the Mustang identity to go away but in many ways the Mustang Never really has been the car it really Should be due to Cost cutting (even back in 1965 they had designs for a IRS) It has always had style and that COOL factor. Thanks to the Many Tuner versions from Shelby, Roush and Saleen (and others) there has always been a option to have a Mustang that can hold it's own with other sports cars.[/QUOTE

I am not saying to hold back progress, lets say they take the old fastback body ok, than put all the new goodies in it, than that would be an awesome car. I was just saying that the body lines of the new ones are just looking to rounded and hardly resembles the old mustang..It is the cool factor that the new bodies are missing. You think of all the old hot rods, and they all looked mean, there stance, the body lines etc. You look at the new ones and they just dont have the mean look to them at all. Maybe under the hood it does but i was talking the outside body. Technology is a great thing, and i do wish for the mustang to be-able to hold its own against other new hot rods (camaro etc) but they can blend the old body with the new horsepower. Just look at regular cars in general, they all look alike, you can switch all there badges and you wouldn't know if you are driving a ford or a kia. Manufacturers are all just trying to look alike each other. Back in the day you knew what a car was just by looking at it, the body lines were unmistakable. We just need fords to look like fords and chevy to look like chevies, and dodge to look like dodges thats all. Sorry for calling u an a$$, but i also get mad when they start making american brand cars look like japan/china cars.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
mfournier

I know what you mean Want a great example of what your talking about check out the Vaughn Gittin Jr's 69 RTR-X Mustang. All modern under the body work but every bit a 69 in looks. But part of the reason cars are getting So similar in lines in Aero Dynamics the 2010-2012s body changes from the 05-09s was more for lower drag then the 05-09s
the angles and sharp edges make for poor aero numbers.
What has always bothered me about all the American Auto makers including ford is the wheel to sheet metal fit. they need to loose that 4x4 wheel to fender gap. and They need WIDER wheels and tires on the GT. Even the GT500 has needs wider tires out back look at the size of the rubber on a Vette 335/25R-20 Now that is a rear wheel.
Now I know the Mustang is not a Vette but it the Gt500 is getting up near ZR1 price I really think it should also be getting close to ZR1 performance.
I know a lot of Mustang GT owners want to keep the Mustang a Joe six pack car well I say OK keep the Base model's price affordable.

It is time the Mustang had a IRS but I just do not understand why they can't seem to build a good one the T5 IRS designed back in 1965 was better then the crap they designed for the 04 cobra. Now I know the design was to be a race option so it was all tubular A Arms and links and was a Coil over setup but why not just build it that way?

Why not offer the Mustang GT with a a Racing style Coil over suspension front and rear.
Why not use Alum links and control arms Why not use Carbon Fiber body parts of even frame members you want a lighter car then think modern

Now I know COST. It is not a Super car right. But really the only reason Carbon Fiber cost so much now is the current production method. It is practically hand built. There has to be a way to industrialize the production of carbon fiber parts as we do steel. This would benefit not just performance cars but all cars reduce the weight you increase fuel milage as well. It is good for performance cars and people movers. If FORD does this they would be leading the industry not Following.

And I feel Performance cars are the place to start using new materials they already target a smaller market the Mustang is not the World car (it can be a World performance car) it has a Name brand that is iconic why not use that and make it a world beater.

Last edited by mfournier; 10-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

ok people keep it civil.
and skinnydog: are you saying that you wouldnt drive a 450hp v8 gt that sounded good but HAPPENED to deliver 40 mpg because getting 40 mpg benefits the environment?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
skinnydog4

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
ok people keep it civil.
and skinnydog: are you saying that you wouldnt drive a 450hp v8 gt that sounded good but HAPPENED to deliver 40 mpg because getting 40 mpg benefits the environment?
Sure i would if it was all tucked under an old body style! ha ha
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
kf_chris

All the new versions of the old cars should have the "idea and feel" of the namesake. The 2+2 style rear drive of the mustang is exactly that. You can't mirror a car's style made back in the 60's or 70's today and expect it to be successful (if you want a 69 Fastback then build one). You CAN, however, use styling cues to bring the public's nostalgia to the front of their head when they're either writing a check or signing on for 4-6 years of payments. It's about the feel of the car. And part of why we all love mustangs is because the availability of personalization and customization. You CAN make a new stang be colored or styled through an array of little decisions that you the owner choose to do to your car. Our standards are up and we all expect progress, in the name of handling, comfort, creature comforts, and power...not to mention now we are constantly reminded of th mpg aspect when we have to sink 50 dollars into the tank.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 AM
goodfellow55

Well, Mfournier, Ford does have the BOSS 302 and 302 Laguna Seca edition which both have posted numbers on the track better than the Corvette GS(and normal Vette). The new GT500 coming out in 2013 looks to be very promising as well.

Quick Reply: Worry Not: Next Gen Mustang To Be All-American